Ya'll wanna start a..."Valve Shim Bank"?

(Burger King @ Mar. 26 2007,08:32) I sent Jinkster a PM but never received a response.
Is this still happening? I really need to check mine and would like to have the kit before I do.
Yes Jinkster has the kit wright now, Pm him again, and hell put on the list!

(GIXERHP @ Mar. 26 2007,22:18)
(Burger King @ Mar. 26 2007,08
zzwhip.gif
) I sent Jinkster a PM but never received a response.
Is this still happening? I really need to check mine and would like to have the kit before I do.
Yes Jinkster has the kit wright now, Pm him again, and hell put on the list!
PM'd

Re: Ya'll wanna start a..."Valve Shim Bank"?

I am new to your site but would love to annie up any left over and unused shims that I have left after doing mine. which will be after jinkster completes his online tutorial! Unfortunately I already bought the hotcams kit. which is in .05 increments, hope it will help the cause!

(Red05 @ Feb. 04 2007,04:28) Wow. Sounds like a effective strong arm method by the dealer to force a guy to have the dealer do it. Your idea sounds better & better. Keep us posted on what size shims we might "put in stock" first.
Definantly...hence why the vast majority of owners wind up either...

a. Neglecting to ever get it done or...

b. Selling their bike as they notice "the top-end-chatter" increasing over the miles or?...

c. Burning up their valves or?...

d. Suffering the time loss of riding and financial consequences of the dealerships un-merciful ways.

I'm doing a little quick research of valve shim costs now.

and btw...i'm happy to see there's some intrest in this as i've witnessed the benefits of such a program first hand and...L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif

the answer? not cheap... lol. (at least for mine)
so much for that 800$ cam :-(

I got a chipped lobe (crappy weld job, and a "pimpled spit face kid working off commission" or whatever you said) sent them back into megacycle. hardened buckets and new shim set on it's way. The old shims and buckets are all fine except for #4 on the intake.

Sometime in the next week i'll have a set for you, and will talk with my northern CO riding group. Maybe the roughriders chapter in Denver will have some floating around too.

I'll get back to ya.

Does anyone have a picture of the shims I have thousands of Busa parts in tubs and would like to help out with what I can.

How many have actually needed to have the valves adjusted at 15,000 miles?

How many have actually needed to have the valves adjusted at 15,000 miles?

I have taken 5 Busa's(2000,2001,2007,2008,2009) thru this stage with no adjustment nessecary,but ya never know I guess.:dunno:

RSD.

All depends on how bad the bike is abused!
I just checked one last week, at 65000, and all still in spec.

I bought more this last time as I temporarily lost my own shims bank. Kawasaki also sells the same size shims (found that out this last time as I chased a certain size). I measure all mine in thousandths of an inch and find the markings on the shims are only in the ballpark. This site has been a real blessing! (Just did a fork seal replace after 86,000 miles)

So, excuse me for being dumb here, how would this work exactly?, we check the size (gaps) of our shims, find out what size is required for a good fit, request said sizes from the shim bank manager, we send our old shims in to the shim bank manager, and he sends us the sizes we need? at a price? or does our old ones cover it? will we have a shim bank in the UK? or is this just USA idea? post and packaging will have to be paid for i gather?, would love to do my shims myself, just thinking of the daunting task of removing cams and stuff timing allignment, all that has always worried me incase it all goes pete tong...

Back