Ya'll wanna start a..."Valve Shim Bank"?

There ain't no reason we couldn't get enough members to each kick in for, say 5 shims each to make a full set to get 'er going. I'm down for that...

I'm still on this folks....and it sounds like the more voices we get here the more refined the plan will be...and i agree...we don't need to waste dough on the redicilously high and low zone sizes...as what we need are an abundance of the "In-The Zone" sizes...as while certainly not common place?....another extreme possibility could be that someones valve train requires an abundance of (1) or (2) partcular sizes....we'll firm things up this weekend...sorry for losing track...had a busy week and?...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

First i want to apologize to everyone for sorta dropping the ball on this issue this past week as i've been swamped with work and family issues...

2ndly?...i want to thank jjmetheny for his valuable input on suggesting that we concentrate that we concentrate the stocking of our shim banks inventory in the primary size ranges...which we shall do.

3rdly?...I'd like to thank professor for stickying this posting.
biggrin.gif

Now...here's what i'd like to do...I like jjmethenys find of...

"I have seen the factory shim kit 12800-41810 for around $370 which comes with 105 shims, 5 each of (2.50-3.50), about $3.5 per shim."

as i believe that "that" would make a great "BASE BANK" to start out with...and for bonus points?...

a. They're extremely reasonable price wise....making the most of our purchase power and...

b. THEY ARE SUZUKI O.E.M. Shims...and after re-thinking things here (based on input/responses) i'd like to keep our shim bank limited to Suzuki Certified O.E.M. Shims...no aftermarket shid...not even SUDCO...i'll be happy to retain the title of "Purist" on this matter.
biggrin.gif

However....i would like to extend that range down just a couple notches to include a few "Just-In-Case" sizes of 2.3, 2.35, 2.4 and 2.45mm shims to complete our bank so that it is "All Inclusive" for any "Working Range" shims that may be needed by others....unless anyone disagrees and feels as though they are un-necessary as well...for any GOOD reason.

Other than that?...I'm still working on the "SHIM-BANK RULES" concering a system for "Replacement Obligations" (so that if a member finds they need an extrodinary amount of a certain size shim and have all but exhausted that particular size that they be replaced upon forwarding the bank to the next member on the waiting list)

I'm also thinking that a good rule would be that a member can not "Hold The Kit" for a period of more than 1 week...as 7 days should be more than enough time to get this done and this way the bank is gaurenteed to aid at least 52 members a year...and far more if we're smart about it and have get together "Shim Partys".

So?...that's where i'm at with this and with everyones blessing?..i guess it would be okay to begin collecting funds to order up this stock "Base Shim Bank"

and one other thing i was thinking...should we try to collect enough to purchase a torque wrench (as i know not everyone owns one) and any other "Special Tools" that may be required to complete a full valve adjust job?...all thoughts and suggestions are welcome and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

had mine checked at 15 and 25k on my first busa all in spec. 99% of you guys might be wasting your time!!just did this bike at 17k ..in spec.does anyone know (besides stickly drag bikes) of anyone ever finding any adjustment needed?

I'm due for a check here shortly. I suspect only two of my shims are going to need replacing but won't know until I do it.

And yes, I'm in favor of a shim bank.

--Wag--

(JINKSTER @ Feb. 04 2007,09:56)
(bigoltool @ Feb. 04 2007,05:58) Sounds like a damn good plan Bill! Unfortunately I haven't had mine long enough to collect any shims as yet. One possible detriment to this plan may be that a lot of folks are just plain not willing to attempt to adjust em themselves! Though they would still get their old shims back from the dealer!
big...it shouldn't be too daunting for the novice home mech to perform this task...per the shop manual page 2-8 in the "Periodic Maint." section outlines the procedure quite nicely...with the most scarey part being "Cam Removal" (should you need to swap out some shims) which isn't really all that scary at all and is covered in section 3-28...15 minutes of reading and your average DIY type will feel nearly confident and competent...and after post an in depth pictorial tutoring on the subject?...it should be "Just Follow Thew Step-By-Step Instruction/Pictures" childs play.

and outside of a good ratchet set?...the only non-typical special tools we may need will be a torque wrench and a magnet.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
You should never use a magnet to lift out valve shims.  It can polarize the metal in the shim, making it magnetic, which in turn attracts any small bits of metal (say suspended in your engine oil) to stick to them and wear them.

getting a little worried here. i got 11k miles on mine and according to the manual i need a check or something on the valves at 15k. I had asked my dealer about it and they said it would cost about $150. Am I confusing 2 different things?

(jch364 @ Feb. 15 2007,08:16) getting a little worried here. i got 11k miles on mine and according to the manual i need a check or something on the valves at 15k. I had asked my dealer about it and they said it would cost about $150. Am I confusing 2 different things?
at 15K, the manual recommends checking the valve [tappet] clearances. This job requires pulling the throttle bodies and the valve cover to measure the clearance between a cam lobe and its associated valve tappet.

Most bikes are probably within specifications and everything is buttoned up and you are on your way. $150 for this job is probably fair.

Now, if any of the clearances are out of specification, the cams must be removed and then the out of spec tappet must be pulled out. Underneath the tappet is a little shim that will be replaced to bring the clearance within spec. After the adjustment(s) have been made, the cams reinstalled and torqued down, the clearances should be measured again to verify everything is still in spec.

As you can imagine, having to replace a shim will add significantly to the cost. If you're mechanically-inclined, checking the clearances and/or replacing shims is not hard...it's more time-consuming than anything.

Those of us who regularly do this task would benefit by having the 'bank'...in case a shim is needed, it could be readily available.

HTH...

--Omar

you know this is why i love this board and appreciate the people in it. I have no idea what the heck that stuff is above but i appreciate the info. I have learned so much since being a member. not to mention the money i have saved. I owe alot of you folks a round of burgers at the bash this year!

I'd be interested. How can I be included. I live in Philly and I think getting together for a Busa Valve Fest is a good idea. I have 14K on my bike and I believe the valves need to be checked at 15K. Dealer quoted $275 for inspection and 350 for adjustment.

~lionel

I have spoken with Jinkster, and have offered my own personal kit! Jinkster is working on the details, info will be posted later!
Thanks John

Looks like I'm gonna need at least 4 shims.

Are we close/ready to start using the 'bank'?

well folks......I have good news and bad news...

The Good News: I recieved the shim kit from GIXERHP today at my work address and it'a all it's pictured to be...plenty of shims of all sizes....

The Bad News?: I have just one day off between now and the time I'm scheduled to leave town riding O-Ren up to Daytona's Bike Week...and that one day off is about just time to change O-Rens oil & filter, giver a good detailing and load'er up...but definantly not enough time to do a proper valve adjust let alone do any justice to an accompanying step-by-step pictorial/tutorial posting on the topic...besides...i'd be my luck that i'd get all rushed and do sumpt'in stupid like drop a shim down in my crankcase or any other numerous "Murphys Law" scenarios and wind up blowing my planned trip to daytonas bike week over it...so the prudent thing?...I hafta ask the patience of the collective here folks...I wanna do this thing right and not under the gun of father time..so it looks like i ain't gonna even dream of doing this until post bike week...hope i ain't pi$$'in anyone off here but my heart and mind know it's the right thing to do...as anything worth while is worth taking the time to do it right...and?...do it justice...cool?

And huge thanks to GIXERHP for providing us the kick-off kit.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Fortunately, when I checked mine the other day, they were/are all within tolerances. Awesome!

Thanks for putting this together, though, guys. Next time I check mine, I'll take some photos too.

--Wag--

I sent Jinkster a PM but never received a response.
Is this still happening? I really need to check mine and would like to have the kit before I do.

Back