Yahoo, the GS is back!

BrianKesler

Registered
Its amazing how if you take something thats broken apart, then put it back together the same exact way, it works! Me and dad took the petcock off the old GS today, didnt find anything wrong, put it back on and now the bike seems to work just fine. Its been raining here all day so i havent gotten to ride it yet, so im not positive its fixed, but it looks that way. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!!
bowdown.gif

Its amazing how if you take something thats broken apart, then put it back together the same exact way, it works!  Me and dad took the petcock off the old GS today, didnt find anything wrong, put it back on and now the bike seems to work just fine.  Its been raining here all day so i havent gotten to ride it yet, so im not positive its fixed, but it looks that way.  Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!!
bowdown.gif
Some people just have the touch?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110402050 -->

Got be a good feeling! An even better one when your brother is the first to respond to your post!
super.gif

It could have been clogged. Take a old white T shirt and use it as a strainer to see if the fuel in your tank is dirty.

Did you run your bike low on fuel and did all the trouble start after that.
rock.gif

It could have been clogged. Take a old white T shirt and use it as a strainer to see if the fuel in your tank is dirty.

Did you run your bike low on fuel and did all the trouble start after that.
rock.gif
I dont think i ran it low, my fuel gauge doesnt work so i dont know. Either way, i wish it would quit raining so i could really try it out.

What year is that GS? I've got some swingarm bearings, some emblems and assorted parts; headlamp, stator cover, etc that you're welcome to if they fit your bike (depending on what year you have). I rebuilt an '80 GS1100 and had some stuff left over..............

Gee, I guess I'm too late. I was just about to suggest you try removing the fuel petcock and then put it back in.
tounge.gif

Just remember, if your engine ever seizes on that thing, just take it out of the frame then simply bolt it back in. Should fix it right up.

What year is that GS? I've got some swingarm bearings, some emblems and assorted parts; headlamp, stator cover, etc that you're welcome to if they fit your bike (depending on what year you have). I rebuilt an '80 GS1100 and had some stuff left over..............
Its an 83 gs1100g. I dont have any extra parts, everytime something goes wrong i end up buying parts i dont really need, but oh well i guess they will be there when i do need them!

I took the GS out today and it runs pretty good. Still a little hesitant when it gets to the high rpms, but it will go over 90 now.
race.gif
Thanks again to all of you who helped me out. Now to replace the stator
rock.gif

Replacing the stator is easy. Make sure and get a new stator cover gasket. An impact driver is of great help in removing the cover screws. You might have a drip pan ready as you should lose a few drops of oil removing it. The wires run to the regulator, and you know where that is
smile.gif
. Be careful to route the wires correctly and you're there!

Replacing the stator is easy. Make sure and get a new stator cover gasket. An impact driver is of great help in removing the cover screws. You might have a drip pan ready as you should lose a few drops of oil removing it. The wires run to the regulator, and you know where that is
smile.gif
. Be careful to route the wires correctly and you're there!
You will almost definatly need an imact driver to rmove the stator screws. The heads are made of a high grade of butter, and WILL self destruct quickly.

Yup, it will drop some oil with the cover removed.

Did you go with the Electrex?

Usually if the stator has gone, the regulator is shot too. Hate to put in a new stator and toast it right away!

Back