Yada, Yada, Yada....Any Christians here should appreciate this..

GixxFix

Registered
Yada, Yada, Yada
This phrase has been made a part of present day by a television situation comedy. Many think it has the same meaning as "so forth and so on," or "bla, bla bla".
Now read Genesis 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
It that verse the English word 'knew' is the Hebrew word "yada" . Below you will find the definition of the Hebrew word 'yada'.
03045 yada` {yaw-dah'}
hs344.gif
hs362.gif
hs343.gif

a primitive root; TWOT - 848; v

AV - know 645, known 105, knowledge 19, perceive 18, shew 17, tell 8,
wist 7, understand 7, certainly 7, acknowledge 6, acquaintance 6,
consider 6, declare 6, teach 5, misc 85; 947

1) to know
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to know
1a1a) to know, learn to know

1a1b) to perceive
1a1c) to perceive and see, find out and discern
1a1d) to discriminate, distinguish
1a1e) to know by experience
1a1f) to recognize, admit, acknowledge, confess
1a1g) to consider
1a2) to know, be acquainted with
1a3) to know (a person carnally) yada
1a4) to know how, be skilful in
1a5) to have knowledge, be wise
1b) (Niphal)
1b1) to be made known, be or become known, be revealed
1b2) to make oneself known
1b3) to be perceived
1b4) to be instructed
1c) (Piel) to cause to know
1d) (Poal) to cause to know

So it's "And Adam 'yada' Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain.
Ask yourself these questions: When a person says the "yada" he is speaking a Hebrew word, in plain English what does that Hebrew word "yada" mean?
stockade.jpg

(Hint: 1a3 above and in early America misbehaving people were put in the stocks. A sign announced the crime. One often used sign read, "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," which is the origin of a often used four letter word for 'knew'. 'Knew' as used in "and Adam knew his wife" and "yada, yada, yada".
Has the television 'programmed' many good people to unknowingly utter profanities?
Does God like profanities?

Yada, Yada, Yada
This phrase has been made a part of present day by a television situation comedy. Many think it has the same meaning as "so forth and so on," or "bla, bla bla".
Now read Genesis 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
It that verse the English word 'knew' is the Hebrew word "yada" . Below you will find the definition of the Hebrew word 'yada'.
03045 yada` {yaw-dah'}
hs344.gif
hs362.gif
hs343.gif

(Hint: 1a3 above and in early America misbehaving people were put in the stocks. A sign announced the crime. One often used sign read, "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," which is the origin of a often used four letter word for 'knew'. 'Knew' as used in "and Adam knew his wife" and "yada, yada, yada".

Where do people come up with this stuff? I found it several places on the web. Yes, it's interesting, but there is a serious lack of scholarship. I think this is just some fundamentalist rabble rousing (not that I have any bones to pick with folks who take their religion seriously).

1. What is written above in Hebrew characters does not spell "yada" in Hebrew. The letters above are Dalet Ayin Hei (you read from right to left), which probably says something like "daa".

2. The word Yada referenced in Genesis 4.1 is spelled יָדַע (Yod Dalet Ayin, again from right to left), and yes that means to "know" in the "biblical" sense. :)
(look here: Genesis 4 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre It's the second word from the right in the first line.

3. Here's what Merriam Websters dictionary says
Main Entry: ya·da ya·da
Variant(s): or yad·da yad·da \ˈyä-də-ˈyä-də\ or yada yada yada or yadda yadda yadda \-ˈyä-də\
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of earlier yatata idle chatter, probably ultimately from British dialect and argot yatter-yatter to chatter, of imitative origin

The British "yatter yatter" is well known and makes perfect sense to me.

4. The line about "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," is pretty much modern myth. The word f**k is a very old English word that means what it means, it was not an abbreviation. Check Wikipedia. I think the most likely root is probably an old Germanic word.

5. If someone thinks a man "knowing" his wife is a profanity, then there is something seriously wrong. That's a sacred act, not a profane one.

O.K. ya bored me to death....what do I win?

What do you win?

Is there a door prize?

Sorry....very severe case of "Attention Deficate Disorder" here.

RSD.

Where do people come up with this stuff? .

My Pastor....LOL.............He laid it out real succinctly why the writers put yada yada yada into the Seinfeld Show....

And the T.V. show used it many times refering to it in the profane manner......("Seinfeld").

And to back that up on T.V. a couple of nights ago did a show
‘TV’s 50 Funniest Phrases’: ‘Yada, yada, yada’ is No. 1 http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20090526-ENTERTAIN-90526050
AND EVERY CLIP SHOWED on TV’s 50 Funniest Phrases’ REFERED TO THE PHRASE IN THE SEXUAL MANNER........
......So they made America say a phrase that is used in Jewish Culture and laughed behind the scenes about the little inside joke they pulled as they started a fad in our language of yada yad yada....

AND YES I believe they knew what they were doing thinking it was cute!

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20090526-ENTERTAIN-90526050

Last edited:
If people don't know what it means how can it be profane?

Back