WTH? Anybody ever seen THIS before? Round stuck in Glock Barrel?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
My wife went shooting today...I don't know how she can do something I've NEVER seen before in over 30 years of shooting, but....I'm just lucky she didn't try to shoot the round loaded BEHIND it...

That bullet is in there solid as a rock, I'm going to softly drill it out and hope it breaks up before it ruins the barrel...any ideas?

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

Can't say I have ever seen that either. Can you remove the barrel and punch it out?

Sent from my Ford F-150 using Forum Runner

It wasn't moving. So, I CAREFULLY drilled thru the bullet and got it loose enough to tap out....

IMG_1706.jpg

Failure to launch :laugh:

I recall Card16969 has an ammo issue and sent the remainder of the box and pics to the company and got a refund and a thank you letter. Definitely glad she didn't het hurt, that coups have ended bad.

That is what is known as a "Squib" load. It is caused by too low a powder charge. Those doing a lot of reloading have it happen once in a while if we are experimenting with down loading rounds.

Cut your losses and ditch your box of ammo. It may have got wet or maybe didn't have enough powder in it. Either way Ditch the ammo.

Good thing you caught it or this could have been the result.
Extreme yes but within the realm of possibility.
squibload.jpg

squibload.jpg

I have heard of up to five rounds being stacked in a revolver. Must have been 38 special in a 357 magnum with a 6" barrel.

One of the manufactures sent out some 40 cal ammo with out the flash hole in the bottom of the brass. That results in a "Click No Bang" situation or a type one malfunction. Could you imagine doing the failure drill (Tap, rack, Roll, reassess the threat) with a 15 round Mag? Even worse it was in ammo used for law enforcement, the FBI found the problem.

For those who don't feel good drilling into a barrel, I remove the barrel from the gun, use a hard wood dowel about the size of the caliber you are pushing out.
Next go to a concrete surface, hold the barrel in one hand and the dowel firmly against the offending squib load then start striking the other end of the dowel on the concrete with sharp forceful blows. If you start wailing on the concrete like it owes you money it will take forever and you run the risk of breaking the dowel.

TAURUS PT 100 40 cal doing double taps... First round had a light charge and lodged in barrel second round full charge cracked the barrel front to back.It took me a few seconds to even figure out what happened. When assembling cartridges sometimes the loader will throw a light charge or sometimes powder can become contaminated resulting in hang fire or a lodged bullet. Doesn't happen often but does happen. More frequently with the reloaded practice rounds you buy at ranges. I was shooting reloaded rounds when it happened to me. BTW I sent it back to Taurus under their lifetime gaurantee and they replaced the barrel no questions asked. I still have the gun and it still fires like a champ!

Do you have a reloading scale? I would weigh all the other rounds in the box. Sure thankful for a safe ending to that trip!

That would suck for sure if she shot again. Glad to see you got it out. +1 on ditching the rest of the ammo

These were not reloads (see box pic). I tried tapping it out first without success. They shot the rest of the box without incident.

That's very strange! I have never had anything like that happen but I'd be skeptical of firing anymore of that ammo batch.

Maybe I should talk to the wife and have her search the house of a newly purchased insurance policy on her? :dunno:

Maybe I am seeing things but just for giggles I would meausre the slug and see what it mics out to. should measure .355"

I have had this a few times but never with factory ammo.

Keith, I'm really glad she caught the malfunction in time. You should definitely let the good folks at Winchester/Olin know about this. They may want the rest of the box back for inspection, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you received a good sized shipment of replacement ammo in return.

Back