Wtf? something's fishy here.

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Took a look at the bike today....something seemed amiss. Turns out that one side of the front tire is wearing prematurely faster than the other.

On the clutch side, the front tire has worn real thin. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

First question: how is this possible? Front wheel outta alignment? I tried to make sure that when I put the forks up, the clamp was straight and matching the upper clamp.

The grooves have worn past the wear bars...but the curious thing about it is that it's only in certain spots. There are other remaining tracks of the grooves...but those appear to wearing down as well. The throttle side grooves on the front tire are still good...I have at least 3-4mm left of rubber.

On top of this, the groove in the middle of the tire is still fine. Same amount of wear as the throttle side.
rock.gif
Can anyone break this down for me? BTW, if you're wondering, the rear tire is showing no signs of abnormal wear. It's wearing evenly in the middle and both sides.

Second question: would it be advisable to run an M1 or M3 front along with a Diablo rear? Or would this be a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for your tips and suggestions, folks!

pac

<!--EDIT|PACIFICBUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149670864 -->

My guess would be that the wheel is not straight or inline with the rear.

Check the rear tire as well.

my0.02

Pac, to align the front wheel raise the bike up. Then, loosen your pinch bolts and your tripple clamps just enough that the forks don't slide out. Spin the front by as fast as you can then grasp the front brake firmly. Your wheel is now aligned. Retighten to spec and ride!

M1 or M3 front shouldn't be a problem, the M1 is going to be abuot as grippy as the diablo, and the M3 should be stickier.

As for the wear? You been banging through a lot right handers lately? Try rolling around your Island Counterclockwise for a bit... That should fix it...

I'd make sure nothing is rubbing on your front tire. Then actually get down with your bike on the rear stand, and sight along the bike as best you can, the human eye is a pretty good measure. You should be able to see if the front is whacked.

What's the condition of your roads around there? How many miles on the tire? I had a front tire do the same thing. The roads around here have a natural crown from the center stripe to the shoulder for water runoff and the tire wore faster on the left than it did on the right. The only other thing could be a bad tire.

Clutch ( left ) Side will wear faster on roads that oncoming traffic passes left to left.
This is because most roads are crowned ( higher ) on the centerline ( between the opposing traffic ).
This means an upright bike rides on the left side of the tire. Because the front tire is both
skinnier & more curved than the rear it is most noticable on it ( the front ).

M1's & Diablos are the same rubber. Same factory, different name & tread pattern. Think Camaro & Firebird.

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1432"|1149711093 -->

Pac, to align the front wheel raise the bike up. Then, loosen your pinch bolts and your tripple clamps just enough that the forks don't slide out. Spin the front by as fast as you can then grasp the front brake firmly. Your wheel is now aligned. Retighten to spec and ride!
Ok....now there's something I didn't know I could do to straighten it out! And refreshingly simple, too! Thanks, bro...

Ah well...guess I'll be a little busy this weekend.

Clutch ( left ) Side will wear faster on roads that oncoming traffic passes left to left.
This is because most roads are crowned ( higher ) on the centerline ( between the opposing traffic ).
This means an upright bike rides on the left side of the tire. Because the front tire is both

M1's & Diablos are the same rubber. Same factory, different name & tread pattern. Think Camaro & Firebird.

pirate.gif
Raider out.
What your saying is "Clutch Lever" side, not clutch side, right?

cause I know you know which side the clutch is on...
thumbs-up.gif

M1 or M3 front shouldn't be a problem, the M1 is going to be about as grippy as the diablo, and the M3 should be stickier.  

As for the wear?  You been banging through a lot right handers lately?  Try rolling around your Island Counterclockwise for a bit...  That should fix it...

I'd make sure nothing is rubbing on your front tire.  Then actually get down with your bike on the rear stand, and sight along the bike as best you can, the human eye is a pretty good measure.  You should be able to see if the front is whacked.
Hmm...good call, Rev. I was planning on switching to the Metzler's after this set of Diablo's. I think I'll run an M1 first.

Re: Wear, I make about 4-5 left hand turns a day on my way to work...but I only make 2 left hand turns on the way back home.
laugh.gif
If I make more right hand turns, the only thing that's gonna happen is my right side will wear out too! Nice. Hehe...

Don't think anything is rubbing on the tire, but it don't hurt to be extra sure. I'll take a look into that one too...

What's the condition of your roads around there? How many miles on the tire? I had a front tire do the same thing. The roads around here have a natural crown from the center stripe to the shoulder for water runoff and the tire wore faster on the left than it did on the right. The only other thing could be a bad tire.
haha...the roads here are pathetic. Bumps, ruts, filled-in holes, potholes, etc.

Interesting thing, this crown stuff. I'm starting to think that this may be the culprit, but then again, my first front tire didn't wear this bad. It was even wear all around. Hmm...

Can you take yer hands off the clip-ons while riding?

If you you can't and she wanders,alignment prob.

Does it feel like you need to push harder on the bars to go left or right....more pressure on one side vs the other?

Tweaked frame?

pirate.gif
Raider out.
ok...gotta run to a meeting right now, but I'll get back to this one.

Thanks again for all the replies, folks!!! I reallly appreciate it!
beerchug.gif

pac

pirate.gif
Raider out.
ok...now I have a little more time to get to this one.

More crown stuff, eh? Hmm...I guess I didn't notice it too much before.

Could it possibly be that I'm only noticing it more now due to having a tire that wears out faster?

I remember reading about the crowning stuff awhile back, but it got shuffled to the back of the brain. Good stuff, though...it's something I wouldn't have stopped to think about if you guys hadn't mentioned it.

Crapola....looks like I'll need to purchase that front tire sooner than expected. Damn. Oh well...at least I get a chance to try out the Meztlers.

Can you take yer hands off the clip-ons while riding?

If you you can't and she wanders,alignment prob.

Does it feel like you need to push harder on the bars to go left or right....more pressure on one side vs the other?

Tweaked frame?
Yup...no probs taking my hands of the clip-ons.

Equal pressure on both sides....it doesn't seem easier to turn the 'ol gal on one side than it is the other.

Frame better not be tweaked...I'd be hella pissed. Paid a good bit of change ($2700) to Goldenchild for this one, which came off of a 2000 model.

mine is wearing on the right side more...due to all the passing and how much time i spend in left lane...no not from england lol

Pac, The Diablos your using, did they come with the orange wheels?

Back