Wrap or Ti

vincebusa

Donating Member
Registered
ok people set me strait here. the goal is to add some hp
and to cut some heat in the engine area and look good. will
i accomplish these with with a ti full ss. or buy a less
expensive full ss then wrap the header. would these accomlish same thing. comments

thank you
wow.gif

i would wrap the header either way i have heard plenty of stories of melted fairings and singed legs
AAAssjani.gif

If you are gonna wrap the Ti check with the manufacturer to see if it will stand up to the heat. I've heard that expressed from others who weren't sure and calling a !-800# will cost you less than replacing new ti headers.

If you are gonna wrap the Ti check with the manufacturer to see if it will stand up to the heat. I've heard that expressed from others who weren't sure and calling a !-800# will cost you less than replacing new ti headers.
True... Akra told me to NOT wrap my Ti's. They are about 1/2 as hot as the stock pipe and no plastic is melting.

ok people set me strait here. the goal is to add some hp
and to cut some heat in the engine area and look good. will
i accomplish these with with a ti full ss. or  buy a less
expensive full ss then wrap the header. would these accomlish same thing. comments

thank you  
wow.gif
I wrapped my headers and it dropped the amount of heat coming through the frame and fairing a fair bit, but I have the heavy, stock, stainless steel pipes and they shouldn't get brittle or corrode. The wrapped pipes are even pretty cool to the touch, even when the engine is nice and hot.

Supposedly, Ti and Al can't stand up to the retained heat, however, and the moisture that sticks to the wrap in the wet will also accelerate corrosion.

Word of advice, though: Wrapping the headers while still bolted in place is an absolute pain -- it took me, like, six hours, and I got lots of little cuts from the radiator (even though I unbolted it).

Back