Wow, need to watch my chain

j1mmyj4m

Registered
Due to mainly time I haven't taken my bike in for the first service.  I changed the oil at around 150, but I have about 750 now and wanted the dealer to check it out for the first service.  After that I'll handle it.  

Anyway, I went out there to check my chain and I have about 3" of play.  The plastic underneath the top part of the chain seems to be rough and ground down a bit. I've been breaking it in pretty hard and started noticing a bit of lash when I hammer on it.  My first bike was chain, but I never messed with it.  Now having a VTX with a shaft and a Busa with a chain I have to break my no maintenance habit.  I would hate to buy new gears so soon.
sad.gif
 Anyone else get in a hurry to ride and forget to check that?

<!--EDIT|j1mmyj4m
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119012739 -->

You definately need to keep an eye on your chain as they seem to stretch quite a bit.

forgetting to check chain is like forgetting to check brakes, just not a good idea.

Notice it doesn't need to stretch much to have allot of slack.
Found out the Busa can stretch a chain with one pass through the gears under xtreme acceleration. The Drag strip kind of acceleration. From tight to so loose chain will skip the spocket.
In a pinch can adjust tension without loosening the axle bolt. Wouldn't make it a standard practice tho.

A rear stand makes life SO much easier , tension and lube is so much easier and only takes a couple of minutes ..

Doesn't a rear stand attach to the axle nut or somewhere else? I've never seen one on a bike. If it's on the nut wouldn't it still be tough to loosen it to adjust the chain?

Doesn't a rear stand attach to the axle nut or somewhere else? I've never seen one on a bike. If it's on the nut wouldn't it still be tough to loosen it to adjust the chain?
No , the rear stand has two plates that sit under the swing arm or you can get a set of bobbins 8mm that screw into the end of the swing arm and the stand locates on these . The bobbins are the most secure way to go..

After the first 500-1000 miles the chain won't stretch as fast as with a brand new one
wink.gif

I may be biased here but get rid of the stock chain and buy a good one like a DID 530ZVM. The stock chains will stretch and if you don't keep up with it you will run the chance of breaking it and a lot of other engine case parts.

So IMO don't take the chance and buy a new one.

Does anyone happen to have some links to one's they prefer? The search on this board is pretty sweet and I've used it a ton, but just curious if anyone has some links handy. Thanks for all the input.

Your not the only one. I never figured the chain would stretch that much so quickly. The good news is, once you adjust it, you shouldn't have to do it again, but check it every once in a while anyhow. I had a lot of slop in my chain, but since I adjusted it, the tension has remained the same. You should however clean and lube your chain often, or you will be replacing the gearing a lot sooner than you want to.

Back