Would you want a "Love Drug"?

Real love is caused by chemicals released into our system by our bodies.
There is something to be said for that system of nature on a macro scale (for survival of the species etc.)
I don't like most drugs and stay away from them at all cost.
The effects of some drugs can be compared to the effects of a knee brace when you have a sore knee. The more you use it the weaker your knee gets until you have to have the brace, or you can't walk.
People look to drugs for some “quick fix” or “miracle” and they might get the same or better results form looking elsewhere.

If I have to take a pill to love someone, then why not just put me in the Matrix and I can have the exact perfect life I design, and never regain consciousness?
At some point I think you have to pick between fantasy and reality.
JMO

Real love is caused by chemicals released into our system by our bodies.
There is something to be said for that system of nature on a macro scale (for survival of the species etc.)
I don't like most drugs and stay away from them at all cost.
The effects of some drugs can be compared to the effects of a knee brace when you have a sore knee. The more you use it the weaker your knee gets until you have to have the brace, or you can't walk.
People look to drugs for some “quick fixâ€￾ or “miracleâ€￾ and they might get the same or better results form looking elsewhere.

If I have to take a pill to love someone, then why not just put me in the Matrix and I can have the exact perfect life I design, and never regain consciousness?
At some point I think you have to pick between fantasy and reality.
JMO

"looking elsewhere" <--- please elaborate.

No thanks, I take enough drugs the way it is ( I had a transplant) don't need to take one more. Besides Love should come from the heart and soul, not a pill.

No..
If you just don't have the feelings naturally it shouldn't be. Besides, what if something goes haywire and her brain chemistry is permamently damaged? Are you prepared to be mutilated to death by a "chemically induced" loved one because their subconscious is screaming for them to cut loose of it all?
Enough violent crime between lovers already exists in this world.

"looking elsewhere" <--- please elaborate.

Sometimes there are different ways to get a person to the same (or better) destination that drugs do.
For example, if you have bad back pain and take pain killers, would it not delay the decision to seek what the cause of the back pain was in the first place? (my brother was here and delayed until the life on pain killers was worse than the back pain, so with lifestyle changes – dropping weight, exercise, not straining his back doing stupid stuff like helping people move etc. he got his pain down to a manageable level).
My best friend is about 100 pounds overweight, and takes pills for angina, pills for high cholesterol, pills for high blood pressure, and now is getting bad knees and back. We were both always healthy for the 40 years I have known him until he gained that weight, and I am sure if he dropped the weight and exercised, a lot of his symptoms would go away.
But the pills are quick and easy.
Likewise with depression. Hey life is a lot of times depressing. Getting on anti-depressants doesn’t always work and in my experience they are handed out too easily and too often.
In my own circle, I have known 7 people who at one time or another been on Prozac (or similar) and long term have all gotten off, and have just learned to cope with life as it is thrown at them. They stated that the side effects were not worth whatever perceived gain there was, and that they also did not feel “themselvesâ€￾ when on it.

Drugs have uses and are needed in some instances, but all too often the general population is looking for a quick, miracle instead of doing what is necessary to help them selves to a real cure or tolerance of their situation.
I personally have friends who use huge amounts of pain killers, others use huge amounts of allergy pills for hay fever, take weight loss drugs, stop smoking drugs, sleep aids, etc. etc. and I have noticed that the tolerance level rises over time so they continually have to take more and more to accomplish the same result.
Hey why don’t we just put Prozac in the drinking water and we all will be happy?

A love drug for me to take so I would fall in love "NO" A pill for me to give a hottie like Jessica Alba and few others who wouldn't give me the time day or take her foot of the gas pedal to let me finish crossing the street "SURE" I'd take a few a bottles of the stuff I got of a lot pills to hand out be great.:laugh:

Your statement gives the impression that by using drugs the situation is not really "fixed". But if all our functions are essentially based upon chemical changes\imbalances how is fixing an infection using antibiotics any different than fixing depression using anti-depressants or fixing an allergy by taking an antihistimine?

so... why not just FIX love too then? true, many drugs have a place but I'm with Mike on the "we take the easy way out too often". I've learned that REAL LIFE experiences can really rock, and I much prefer them to the simulated, virtualized, video game experiences.

it just seems like some of the things we create are created just to "Do something" and not really thought through. "Even if we could, SHOULD we?" kind of thing. I was just thinking, in all of sciences' infinite catagorizable wizdom, there is nothing we should not do or try. I feel there is. I can't see a reason to define love, nor create a pill to "activate" that emotion on a whim. But, I'm part of a dieing breed, and the new blood is already used to doing things without thought or considering longer term consequence. Maybe some day we unlock this or that and be able to create a full on LOVE potion or pill, but I don't see the point, need and think it would be bad. Because it takes away from the value and importance of the real thing. Singular, unique, individaul diamonds are rare and expensive because of what they are. People, and our experiences are too. Everything we hand over to mass production, cheapens the original:
- geneticially enhanced children
- human cloning
- artificial stimulants or repressors
- spouse replacers
- etc etc etc

I hope I'm dead before they invent a replacement for love.

I'm glad to hear everyone is against this idea. I suspect 100 years from now, the doped up generation will be posting up controversial topics like:

"Would you ever STOP taking your LOVE DRUGS?"

so... why not just FIX love too then? true, many drugs have a place but I'm with Mike on the "we take the easy way out too often". I've learned that REAL LIFE experiences can really rock, and I much prefer them to the simulated, virtualized, video game experiences.

it just seems like some of the things we create are created just to "Do something" and not really thought through. "Even if we could, SHOULD we?" kind of thing. I was just thinking, in all of sciences' infinite catagorizable wizdom, there is nothing we should not do or try. I feel there is. I can't see a reason to define love, nor create a pill to "activate" that emotion on a whim. But, I'm part of a dieing breed, and the new blood is already used to doing things without thought or considering longer term consequence. Maybe some day we unlock this or that and be able to create a full on LOVE potion or pill, but I don't see the point, need and think it would be bad. Because it takes away from the value and importance of the real thing. Singular, unique, individaul diamonds are rare and expensive because of what they are. People, and our experiences are too. Everything we hand over to mass production, cheapens the original:
- geneticially enhanced children
- human cloning
- artificial stimulants or repressors
- spouse replacers
- etc etc etc

I hope I'm dead before they invent a replacement for love.

I pretty much agree and it seem everyone else does.
Lets take it a step further.

I was thinking about this earlier and I remember thinking about another thread about what people were tired of, some gave indicators that their relationships could be better. Our custom is to choose a mate for life (or at least that is the intent). Many feel the need to stay in those relationships and suffer through unhappiness for many reasons or in greater frequency divorce. I don't believe circumstances leading to a divorce happen overnight (that was my case and with others I have spoken to) and probably by the time a decision to divorce is made it is too late. However if introduced at the right time would a love drug be acceptable to rekindle or save a marriage?

Last edited:

I was thinking about this earlier and I remember thinking about another thread about what people were tired of, some gave indicators that their relationships could be better. Our custom is to choose a mate for life (or at least that is the intent). Many feel the need to stay in those relationships and suffer through unhappiness for many reasons or in greater frequency divorce. I don't believe circumstances leading to a divorce happen overnight (that was my case and with others I have spoken to) and probably by the time a decision to divorce is made it is too late. However if introduced at the right time would a love drug be acceptable to rekindle or save a marriage?

you don't need a love drug for that....Just need to erase the womans memory:thumbsup:

If this drug was taken at the predivorce moments, the real issues would be only hidden again, right? Not really fixing the issue. I still feel that would be a bad thing. Actually, that just made me think.... again... we are the society of "blame, it's not my fault, not taking responsibility for ourselves" and this is just another step toward that... enabling it if you will. In the days before our lazied conveniences, if we starved it was our fault. We'd pick up a freaking ho and make a garden, make some food, get it done. Now we expect the convenience of foods, drugs, everything we take for granted. And now love. Well, not really since this pill does not exist yet. I think we should fix the root issue rather than use a cheat for something like this.

Far as relationships go, that could be a whole other topic... but I feel we take those for granted and enjoy them as conveniences too. not good, we move on. When we should commit and stick too it for our OWN growth. Life can suck with anybody... make it suck with a long term friend that already knows you and understands you. THAT's way easier.

Last edited:
If this drug was taken at the predivorce moments, the real issues would be only hidden again, right? Not really fixing the issue. I still feel that would be a bad thing. Actually, that just made me think.... again... we are the society of "blame, it's not my fault, not taking responsibility for ourselves" and this is just another step toward that... enabling it if you will. In the days before our lazied conveniences, if we starved it was our fault. We'd pick up a freaking ho and make a garden, make some food, get it done. Now we expect the convenience of foods, drugs, everything we take for granted. And now love. Well, not really since this pill does not exist yet. I think we should fix the root issue rather than use a cheat for something like this.

Far as relationships go, that could be a whole other topic... but I feel we take those for granted and enjoy them as conveniences too. not good, we move on. When we should commit and stick too it for our OWN growth. Life can suck with anybody... make it suck with a long term friend that already knows you and understands you. THAT's way easier.

I am with you on this. I only offered up the idea to invoke discussion.

Back