Would you ride a electric motorcycle?

Different, and I guess if your a go greener it's great. but honestly for $12k I'd rather spend $7k on a used Gen 2 and the leftover $ for a nice little turbo and get to work quicker. :laugh:

true, I'm not saying get rid of the Busa by any means, but as a second bike. I only live 4 miles from work and this would be great for me. I'm with you as to to sound, power and thrill!

If the range matched my commuting needs, had good performance (I'm not talking Busa performance, say Ninja 250ish.) and was more reasonable on price then yes. As mentioned you can get a used Busa for half the $12K sticker and that $6K saved will pay for a lot of gas even at $4+ a gallon. By the dirty math I just tossed on my calculator 60,000 miles worth. Considering the stated life expectancy of batteries (Hybrids, haven't looked at pure electrics.) is around 100K and is not cheap to replace you're money ahead to just stick to gas right now. Plus you run out for whatever reason you stop, get more gas, keep riding. Pure electric if you need to run an extra errand or miscalculate your range you're stuck until you can let it sit and recharge or tow it home. That alone is the biggest issue with electric, there's no reasonable fallback plan if you run out of electrons.

EDIT-At four miles to work I'd put money on a nice bicycle long before an electric motorcycle especially at $12K. Even in my worse than out of shape state I can average 8MPH overall riding my bike and pull 13MPH cruising on a flat with a mountain bike. Seems far more feasible to me unless there's no bicycle friendly way to go.

The 114 mile maximum range wouldn't get me too far. I rarely get the bike out for anything less than a full day of riding. Heck, my daily commute is over 200 miles. Might be cool for local errands though. :thumbsup:

I'd ride pretty much any motorcycle, for the most part. What I would spend money on is a different question, and I'd have to say no to that one!

at half the cost I would own one no doubt. I have said the same about the Chevy Volt as well. Barrier to entry is the price not the performance for me and at 2x or more the cost of a similar gas model it would take longer than the expected functional lifespan of the unit to recoup the additional cost savings to own one.

If we are ever going to embrace these alternative technologies for consumers (CNG, BioD, electric, etc) the costs of ownership and availability to refill/recharge them need to change dramatically.

your DAILY commute is over 200 miles? lucky.

The 114 mile maximum range wouldn't get me too far. I rarely get the bike out for anything less than a full day of riding. Heck, my daily commute is over 200 miles. Might be cool for local errands though. :thumbsup:

If electric motorcycles were all that was left, yes. Otherwise...

+1 I would rather be in an electric cage than electric motorcycle..

Now if they can get an electric motorcycle to run like this

and be able to run for 8 -10 hours at a time.. may change my mind :whistle: :laugh:

Are you kidding, I thought about sticking one of those old electric motors on a 10 speed back in the 80's :laugh: Stuck with peddling though.

I would Ride one if the cost made sence and it could get me to work and back on a single charge.
Also if it would outrun a 14 that would be nice :laugh:

With a range of 300+ miles, sure I would. My commute is 120 miles, so I would have to walk the last bit and that is not OK with me. Although, as technology moves along, I may have one some day, but not anytime soon.

That's a no brainer. Of course I would ride it. Then I would return it and go ride my Busa once I was done. :laugh:

i tell ya for city riding and normal commutting it wouldnt be bad. cheap as heck for fuel! they said like 1 dollar to charge it all the way! so 1 buck to ride 120 miles im in! lol.

I think i would ride it just to try something different but to buy would be a different story. like others one of the things that i love about my busa and gas motorcyle's in general is the engine
makes while you are riding. it puts a huge smile on my face everytime i twist the throttle and hear that big engine rev up, even slowly and then that gear shift and im in heaven!!:afro:

Back