Would you have given Jeter his 3000th hit ball back?

I would have sold it to him. He makes millions so Im sure he could have given him a nice check. I wouldn't have sold it to anyone but him but i would make sure I got paid.

If he really wanted it, then yes I would, to me it's just a baseball, special yes, but a record ball to him. Just seems the right thing to do :thumbsup:

If he really wanted it, then yes I would, to me it's just a baseball, special yes, but a record ball to him. Just seems the right thing to do :thumbsup:

That's how I feel inside but if that thing landed in my lap like a gift from heaven I'd have to think about it and probably be like lil Charlie.
A quarter mil could do alot of good for my family..............and my gun collection :)

I would have asked him to trade for a signed ball, maybe even asked him if he could get his teammates to sign it.

I would have sold it to him for just under fair market value. I heard a report that it was worth around $250,000. I am sorry, but I would not give that up to a multi-millionaire because it was the right thing to do. I could pay off my house with that and be completely retired at age 38. It is like winning the lottery.

I am sorry. I would have kept it!! If Jeter really wanted it in the first place, then he would not have thrown it away by hitting it into the stands. E-Bay!!!

i think i would have been like Blanca, sleep on it and see what the next day brings, you just never know.....in the end i would give it back it means nothing to me and its special to the players.

i think i would have been like Blanca, sleep on it and see what the next day brings, you just never know.....in the end i would give it back it means nothing to me and its special to the players.

I think I would have put it on ebay with a one million dollar reserve.
Bids would have been up there but prolly not that much. When it closed I'd offer to sell it back to him for same amount as highest bid was. This would have been a good way to gauge the real value of it. He's got more money than all of us put together and can afford to pay real value for it.

They give the guy luxury seats and now he has to pay 14k in taxes on it and he has 100k in student loans. At the very very least Jeter should level the guys debts :)

I would have jeter pay off my house, the ball is not his. it belongs to the fans. they are the only reason the guy makes what he makes.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would have sold it to him for just under fair market value. I heard a report that it was worth around $250,000. I am sorry, but I would not give that up to a multi-millionaire because it was the right thing to do. I could pay off my house with that and be completely retired at age 38. It is like winning the lottery.

+1 pay off EVERYTHING, not able to retire though, but would definately have more $$$ for FUN STUFF!

How can you prove that is the ball that he hit??? Most of the collectibles I have seen needed to be signed or initialed to have real value. Jeet could destroy the value of the ball with a word, " I got my ball back" even if the guy has the ball in his hand he can't prove he has that ball :laugh:

I would not give it back for free, are you crazy? Me feel sorry for a millionaire? I think not, I would be debt free and no more mortgage for the rest of my life!
Posted via Mobile Device

No. No. No.
A broke arse selfish man like me, would have sold it, and like the players, owners, managers, agents, lawyers, etc, I would have profited from the game.

It is what we do :usa::usa:, just my :2cents:alcoholic:cents:, :tongue4::tongue4:

It's all about context folks. If the batter was po' boy that just loved to play the game and that was all there was to it, then I'd give it back. But that just ain't the case. Just to BE in a position to catch a ball at a game costs silly amounts of money...that goes to the owners and their employees/contractors. This particular batter doesn't bat for free. He has an agent and they negotiate his pay as high as possible before the player provides his services. That, in turn, raises all associated costs to the fans. Now this is all just business, and that's fine. But when the ball lands in your lap and the shoe is on the other foot, don't go saying "It's right to give it back.".

By the leagues own example, when you have something of value you KEEP IT until you negotiate an exchange for the highest possible monetary value.

If they want the ball back, they can remove profit from the game. Until then, there is NOTHING wrong with being just a capitalistic as the game that charged you for your seat.

Like others have said, $250K would make a REAL difference in the lives of most folks and it's a mere drop in the bucket for a premiere professional athlete.

It's good to be nice, but being nice doesn't mean you can't make a profit as a participant in the business.

Back