Worth switching to single exhaust?

mike miller

Registered
Currently I have my 09 setup with dual vance and hines header and 2 carbon fiber gp mufflers and all the other bolt ons, pc3 etc.. It has great power and good tq still. I really like the look of the single brocks type exhaust though. But of course I'd need to buy another header etc.. Would it really net a power gain going single or would I be wasting cash? My dual setup weighs next to nothing so weight isn't an issue

I run a Brocks Titanium CT meg , and last time it was dyno'd ( 38 degrees Celsius ) it made 183 bhp and 105 ft lb . The dyno readout stated 35 Celsius . Not the best day regardless , reckon the room was hot as hell . The power spread hit 180 bhp at around 9,500 rpm and was still over 180 bhp at 11,200 rpm . The torque hit 100 ft lb from 6,000 rpm and stayed above 100 till 9,500 rpm , then tapered off to 85 ft lb by 11,200 rpm . I run a PC5 , fitted same time I fitted up the pipe . Have an auto tune , but have never hooked it up , and never will . I am buying a Woolich Racing Editor to re flash the ECU , just so I know whats really going on . The sound of this pipe is leaning on the loud side , the weight is very good , took close to 18kg off the bike on paper specs , we got 3.9kg even with their supplied steel bracket , but with titanium fasteners replacing steel . This is possibly the lightest true street exhaust , at least readily available in the US . The Brocks pipe comes with a Brocks map . When you blip the throttle on the down change braking from speed , the noise is something else , loud , sharp and crisp . If weight isn't a concern , then this pipe might not be necessary , the steel variant is also producing similar
DSCF1478.JPG
figures , I believe . Here is a pic of the stout Ti CT Meg .

Not a significant amount of power. Brocks are really great pipes though, so a Brocks and a tune might really wake things up, but I would be surprised if you get 10 HP. What I like about the single sided exhaust is access to the chain. I have a full Yoshimura R77, very happy with it.

No real noticeable gains.
Rule of thumb is a full dual exhaust will make a little more torque, and at lower rpms.
Full single will make a little more peak hp.
If you're not drag racing and looking for another hundredth of a second, unless you just want the looks and sound of a single, it's not worth it.
Weight loss is always great too, but with full dual aftermarket, you'll not likely notice any handling improvement switching to full single(if it was stock full dual, of course it would be noticeably lighter flicking the bike side to side).
Brocks does sound awesome though.
Low rumble at cruising, and screams when you twist it!

I run a Brocks Titanium CT meg , and last time it was dyno'd ( 38 degrees Celsius ) it made 183 bhp and 105 ft lb . The dyno readout stated 35 Celsius . Not the best day regardless , reckon the room was hot as hell . The power spread hit 180 bhp at around 9,500 rpm and was still over 180 bhp at 11,200 rpm . The torque hit 100 ft lb from 6,000 rpm and stayed above 100 till 9,500 rpm , then tapered off to 85 ft lb by 11,200 rpm . I run a PC5 , fitted same time I fitted up the pipe . Have an auto tune , but have never hooked it up , and never will . I am buying a Woolich Racing Editor to re flash the ECU , just so I know whats really going on . The sound of this pipe is leaning on the loud side , the weight is very good , took close to 18kg off the bike on paper specs , we got 3.9kg even with their supplied steel bracket , but with titanium fasteners replacing steel . This is possibly the lightest true street exhaust , at least readily available in the US . The Brocks pipe comes with a Brocks map . When you blip the throttle on the down change braking from speed , the noise is something else , loud , sharp and crisp . If weight isn't a concern , then this pipe might not be necessary , the steel variant is also producing similarView attachment 1579433 figures , I believe . Here is a pic of the stout Ti CT Meg .

Toad
Stop posting this picture.
That bike is awesome, built to ride.
I have no bike right now, I'm tired of seeing yours, lol

I guess I'll probably keep my dual setup then. The entire header and both cans weigh next to nothing. Each can plus midpipe is only 1.3lbs. And the vance and hines header is pretty light too. Unless I run into a used single system cheap

No real noticeable gains.
i would agree with sixpack. If you're not racing, I don't think you'll notice a huge change from slipons by going to a full system. The weight loss and the look are important aspects to me and the extra power is a bonus. I usually tell people to go with a full system from the start instead of buying a set of slipoins only to replace them later with a full system. If you're happy and a few hp and couple pounds doesn't matter to you, stick with what you have.

Back