Worn Pilot Powers

So I was checking out my tires during lunch on the bike and see that my rear is getting close to the wear bars. I have about 4k on the rear. I check the front and it to is getting close to being worn to the bar. I dont drag knees but do like to lean the bike over. I though you usually go thru 2 back tires to 1 front. is that the not the case or is something wrong with my bike?

Schism

Donating Member
Registered
that was the case for me but for others it may be different. i rode the pilot powers for years on my gen 1 and realized after a few sets that they burn up way too fast. 4k is pretty good for a rear p.p. with moderate/aggressive riding. i like the bridgestones that come w/ my gen 2 cause they have less pitch than the p.p.'s and feel more stable.

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I wish I could get 4K miles out of a tire. Big HP bikes eat tires pretty easily. I think I could go two rear for one front. Even though I could propably do that, I always mount tire in matching pairs. The bike always performs better on a new front tire. I can get by with poor traction on the rear but the front must be stable and dependable!

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I wish I could get 4K miles out of a tire. Big HP bikes eat tires pretty easily. I think I could go two rear for one front. Even though I could propably do that, I always mount tire in matching pairs. The bike always performs better on a new front tire. I can get by with poor traction on the rear but the front must be stable and dependable!
What he said. I also replace in pairs. :beerchug:

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
What he said. I also replace in pairs. :beerchug:
me three... for the extra $50 a tire change, I just like having 2 new tires at a time...

Thanks to the guys here and all this "track day" jazz.. .my latest set of tires will not see 500M... (but they sure are fun miles I gotta admit)

4000 sounds like a match made in heaven.. :laugh:

I am thinking a set of the Avon Storm's for my street tires at this point... The more I am around the track guys, the less I am liking the PP's (the Pilot race however seems pretty popular, the Power just gets bad marks for feed back etc)

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Try the PP 2CT...I have just over 7k on my rear and its holding up really really well.
WoW, they're gonna dry rot before you get the tread off them :lol:

That's great mileage.

My Busa actually runs the tires pretty good. I had a SRAD a few years ago that ate them up. I remember 5 rears and 3 fronts in one Summer.

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I run 2CT's on the street BTW and have an extra set of wheels sporting Battleaxes I burn off when the time comes. (I hate Battleaxes in the turns)

BA's are heavier but cheaper to burn up, I actually run faster speeds at Maxton using the BA's

I replace front and rear at the same time--bike always feels so much better that way, and besides, my front tire wears almost as quickly as the rear.

I currently have 10,500 miles on a set of Pirelli Strada tires, and they're nearing the end of the trail. They were never really great for the twisties, but they've been excellent for commuting and mild sport/touring because they last such a long time. If you live for twisties, get a stickier tire with a higher center profile. I've enjoyed Dunlop Qualifiers before...for the first 3,000 miles, anyway.

I've got a 96 red/black with an HMF system and carbon fiber cans. There's other goodies, too, to make it a "spirited" ride. But these days, I pretty much ride like an old man. After all, I'm 63 y.o.!

I have over 8500 miles on my ORIGINAL BT-056 set!!! I am currently looking for something different, AVON, Conti, Michelin?? I don't have a clue at this time.???