World Superbike

bigoltool

Registered
OK so i'm sorry if anyone hasn't seen the results yet but the WSBK races yesterday (on Speed Tuesday) sound like they were spectacular! Biaggi doing Suzuki proud in race one and winning with TWO Mufflers! But the real reason I posted this was to pose a question. From what I have "read" (not seen yet) James Toseland's Tenkate CBR1000RR was an absolute rocket (won race two) at this race. Visibly faster on the straights than any of the other bikes! So as I went looking at articles about the race I noticed something peculiar. His bike has the ram air intakes removed! The whole front of the bike is more or less smoothed over. Which makes me wonder if the track isn't really fast enough for the Ram air to do any good are they doing away with the aerodynamic hindrance that a front mounted intake would provide? Or have those guys stumbled onto something else? Either way I am eager to see these races Tuesday! Damn you Speed! Why must we wait until Tuesday to see these? Oh wait gotta make room for Trucks or Horsepower TV Or Nascar???
rant.gif

tose.JPG

Quote:
" James Toseland's Tenkate CBR1000RR was an absolute rocket (won race two) at this race. Visibly faster on the straights than any of the other bikes!"

You bet those Honda's run ! Last years Suzuki's made around 202 hp . The street version limited production Honda replica Ten Kate sells makes 213 , race bike even more than that . Ten Kate knows HP .

I recall one of the last two WSB races season 2005 when Chris Vermullen on the Ten Kate Honda owned them all on a day he could do know wrong .

My opinion is that Honda were fools for not signing him to MotoGP . He just ran away from Nickey and the rest of the pack at Laguna last year and did it on a much inferior bike . Too bad electrical gremlins cost him the win .

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 25 2007,08:42) Quote:
" James Toseland's Tenkate CBR1000RR was an absolute rocket (won race two) at this race. Visibly faster on the straights than any of the other bikes!"

You bet those Honda's run ! Last years Suzuki's made around 202 hp . The street version limited production Honda replica Ten Kate sells makes 213 , race bike even more than that . Ten Kate knows HP .

I recall one of the last two WSB races season 2005 when Chris Vermullen on the Ten Kate Honda owned them all on a day he could do know wrong .

My opinion is that Honda were fools for not signing him to MotoGP . He just ran away from Nickey and the rest of the pack at Laguna last year and did it on a much inferior bike . Too bad electrical gremlins cost him the win .
This is interesting. I haven't actually heard any real numbers yet on the new 800cc MotoGP bikes but if the 990's were making ~250hp and they gave up 20% of the dispacement you would think the new 800's were making around 200+hp. Which means the Superbike's are now making the same or more power! This would have to bode well for the future of street bike development! The Superbikes will need to be able to cope with all that speed using production chassis and more or less street viable brake components etc. The MotoGP stuff is cool to dream about but it will not be showing up on the streets any time soon unless you count the Desmosedicci?

I would have to agree on the Vermuelen opinion! Kid was amazing to watch on a Superbike! Laguna was his, had his bike not blown it!

I have always been curious about the smooth nose rather than ram air.

My assumption has been that they relocated the ram air to maintain aerodynamics

(bigoltool @ Feb. 25 2007,14:04) This is interesting. I haven't actually heard any real numbers yet on the new 800cc MotoGP bikes but if the 990's were making ~250hp and they gave up 20% of the dispacement you would think the new 800's were making around 200+hp.
My general beliefs are that we see inflated power numbers for some of the MotoGP teams .

The testing after the Brno race 2005 brought about big power gains for the Ducati and more so , reliability for first time . No more DNF's that year . From there on out is was finally a bike to be reckoned with and estimated power was 230 crank on race day tune up .

Well , season 2006 Suzuki said estimated 220+ hp for the GSV-R bike . Keeping with the Jones's there  
biggrin.gif
 The Ducati would blow the paint of the thing on the straights and was more than likely de-tuned from a possible 250 at the crank . The hard numbers are difficult to come by cause those lips are sealed .

Kawasaki's conventional  inline engine series entered in 2002 and stayed with conventional crankshaft until 2005 . Big bang costs HP but puts more available to the ground . Even then Nakano remarked to it being difficult to control out of the corners . Just less so .

The whole ideas of the changing to 800's are backfiring . Maybe less hi-siding but lap records are on course to being reset at every race track this year .

Faster corner speeds w/o a huge loss on the straights .

(bigoltool @ Feb. 25 2007,10:18) Damn you Speed! Why must we wait until Tuesday to see these? Oh wait gotta make room for Trucks or Horsepower TV Or Nascar???
oh great... another hater....
pissed.gif

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 25 2007,08:42) My opinion is that Honda were fools for not signing him to MotoGP  . He just ran away from Nickey and the rest of the pack at Laguna last year and did it on a much inferior bike . Too bad electrical gremlins cost him the win .
Not trying to take away from C. Vermeulen, but Nicky caught and passed him before he had problems. The gremlins cost him a podium finish, not the win
wink.gif

That new Honda rocks
super.gif

(Sloto200 @ Feb. 25 2007,14:02)
(bigoltool @ Feb. 25 2007,10:18) Damn you Speed! Why must we wait until Tuesday to see these? Oh wait gotta make room for Trucks or Horsepower TV Or Nascar???
oh great... another hater....
pissed.gif
Not a hater. What they do show they typically do a reasonable job. Just that It infuriates me that they have an opportunity to show valid world championship level motor-sport racing live or same day and bikes take a back seat to lame programming that for whatever reason the corporate "they" want us to watch instead. I pay extra on my television bill simply to get Speed and for one reason only. Motorcycle racing! MX, Last Man Standing, Superbikes, MotoGP doesn't matter as long as it has two wheels and a motor!

Sorry Long winter of no Bike racing postponed even for three days is enough to light the fuse I guess!
all_coholic.gif

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 25 2007,09:23) The ram air duct is under there on the Honda's + Ten Kate uses other tricks like this first photo . The link I'm posting after the photo will give an idea of where the ram air inlets are on the Honda . Not saying Ten Kate uses exact though .

http://www.oppracing.com/image.php?image=pr120_8.jpg[/img]
I understand that they moved the intake back behind the nose for aerodynamic reasons but by doing so they totally lose the peak pressure at the nose of the bike that is typically considered to be the best placement for max power. It appears that they have made the right trade off though! Balancing peak power output VS Aerodynamic drag. fun stuff!

(dadofthree @ Feb. 25 2007,13:25)
lurk.gif
be looking for it Tuesday  
beerchug.gif
not much point in recording it to watch now. ..

it's not hard folks.. if you wanna talk about a particular race just put a subject like..

WSB race... **SPOILERS POSSIBLE**

really... it was even shorter than what you took the time to type in.

and just for some of the learning impaired individuals that can't seem to understand the frustration involved with people putting results up to where people who haven't seen the race will read them before they even realize they have read them..

this could apply to all sporting events.. and even tv shows I suppose.

if your gonna talk about something along these lines just think for two seconds before you start posting stuff up.

don't mean to sound harsh... and I'm sure you won't be the last to do it.. but maybe I won't have to worry about coming in and seeing AMA race results or MotoGP results splattered all over the forum headers if everybody would read it.

it doesn't really bother me too badly about WSB but I won't even have the oppurtunity to watch it until tuesday if I have time... and stuff like this sucks all the fun out of even bothering to watch.

(Charlesbusa @ Feb. 25 2007,21:23)
(mountainmotor @ Feb. 25 2007,08:42) My opinion is that Honda were fools for not signing him to MotoGP  . He just ran away from Nickey and the rest of the pack at Laguna last year and did it on a much inferior bike . Too bad electrical gremlins cost him the win .
Not trying to take away from C. Vermeulen, but Nicky caught and passed him before he had problems.  The gremlins cost him a podium finish, not the win  
wink.gif

That new Honda rocks  
super.gif
Chris started having a problem around lap 11 but he was driving through by not using the rear brake . The traction control was locking the rear tire . If you go and watch the race again you will see in later laps that Chris stood  his bike up cause it was sliding from the rear being locked, and thats when Nickey got around him . Smoke was coming off the tire even and yes , that particular gremlin cost him the win and was the only reason Nickey even could catch up . Chris was running 1:23.4's  
bowdown.gif

The latter laps another gremlin above the first one hit the Suzuki engine --- ignition this time . Chris was thinking he might have to push the bike to the finish .

Not to argue the coulda , woulda shoulda's but Chris was schooling those guys at the 2006 Red Bull . Comfortably 3 seconds in front of KJ then 2.5 seconds in front of Nickey once he got around KJ . Chris had a hard front , medium rear and barring a crash , there woulda been no stopping him that day if the two problems had not risen .

I will look for his interview as well .

http://www.topspeed.com/racing/chris-vermeulen/ke1468.html

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/daisy/archive/2006/07/24/108360.aspx

Biaggi will be tough this year. It's definitetely good for WSBK. I still think Bayliss will be the only real contender for Max.

(pure_ego @ Feb. 25 2007,22:51)
(dadofthree @ Feb. 25 2007,13:25)
lurk.gif
be looking for it Tuesday  
beerchug.gif
not much point in recording it to watch now. ..

it's not hard folks.. if you wanna talk about a particular race just put a subject like..

WSB race...  **SPOILERS POSSIBLE**

really... it was even shorter than what you took the time to type in.

and just for some of the learning impaired individuals that can't seem to understand the frustration involved with people putting results up to where people who haven't seen the race will read them before they even realize they have read them..

this could apply to all sporting events.. and even tv shows I suppose.

if your gonna talk about something along these lines just think for two seconds before you start posting stuff up.

don't mean to sound harsh...  and I'm sure you won't be the last to do it.. but maybe I won't have to worry about coming in and seeing AMA race results or MotoGP results splattered all over the forum headers if everybody would read it.

it doesn't really bother me too badly about WSB but I won't even have the oppurtunity to watch it until tuesday if I have time... and stuff like this sucks all the fun out of even bothering to watch.
AMEN, thanks alot for ruining the race for everyone.
guns.gif

Back