Working on plug and play datalogger, interested in your input.

smithabusa

Site Sponsor
Registered
So I spent a bunch of time this weekend working on a nice plug and play inline ECU connector adapter to get the following just by plugging in-line on the ECU

Sensor Ground
Throttle Position
Gear Position
Tach
Static Air pressure
Engine MAP Vacuum
Coolant temp
intake air temp

In addition to this, I get power and ground from the tail light connector so there is not a single wire splice on the bike.

Got it all wired up and tested on my bike, to find out that AEM just discontinued this awesome logger that can log up to 1000Hz.

1608587340979.png

So anyhow, I am still on a mission to offer something to make it easy for gen 1 and gen 2 busa owners who don't like to wire and just want to plug in and collect data. I have used Innovate stuff in the past and was happy with it. considering offering their MXT-L wideband controller/gauge combo, with a SSI-4 which gives 4 analog/rpm inputs, and their pocket logger to collect data on the SD card for reviewing in their software afterwards. Is this something you guys are interested in? I have wired up some wego's for guys as well to be plug and play, but you only get air fuel, rpm, and 1 additional signal (usually TPS) which to me seems way to limited for the money.

Innovate stuff I am thinking about making a nice Plug and play kit with
1608587584108.png
1608587607736.png

1608587625994.png

1608587671983.png

1608587692943.png

This is the wego
1608587546463.png

This is something that might be really useful for owners who don't run a PC5 and Autotune. You can use DJ's Display File Manager software to collect all kinds of data from those.

I have a Bazzaz Z-Fi on my busa and a Z-AFM I've yet to install. I don't think it's possible to retrieve data files from those like I have with the DJ setup I have on my other bike. I'm interested in something to log data but I would want to use the O2 sensor on the Bazzaz rather than the Innovate gauge you showed above. I plan to equip my busa with gauges but I'm going with those small rectangular digital gauges for all sensors that are not OEM and that would include AFR.

TPS, rpm and AFR are the most important things but wheel speed, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, timing, possible boost pressure a/o nitrous pressure would all be things I would hope I could log all with one unit. I like where you're going with this. I would probably look for something that could log more channels and also be compatible with a Bazzaz setup even if that meant tapping a bunch of wires.

Interested.
Some silly questions that help me more than you ... at your convenience:
  • The Sensor Ground logs a binary value only?
  • Gear Position data is pulled by the ECU from the existing GP sensor behind the clutch basket (Gen II)?
  • Possible to do 1 device that does both (data collection and display real time data)? Programmable/Configurable? And/or at the flip of a rider switch?
  • Is a PnP AFR possible? Is the ECM already collecting/calculating this value?
Agree with Mythos but still interested

This is something that might be really useful for owners who don't run a PC5 and Autotune. You can use DJ's Display File Manager software to collect all kinds of data from those.

I have a Bazzaz Z-Fi on my busa and a Z-AFM I've yet to install. I don't think it's possible to retrieve data files from those like I have with the DJ setup I have on my other bike. I'm interested in something to log data but I would want to use the O2 sensor on the Bazzaz rather than the Innovate gauge you showed above. I plan to equip my busa with gauges but I'm going with those small rectangular digital gauges for all sensors that are not OEM and that would include AFR.

TPS, rpm and AFR are the most important things but wheel speed, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, timing, possible boost pressure a/o nitrous pressure would all be things I would hope I could log all with one unit. I like where you're going with this. I would probably look for something that could log more channels and also be compatible with a Bazzaz setup even if that meant tapping a bunch of wires.
Hey there Mythos, thanks for the feedback. This can get challenging, to collect what you want requires a lot of channels, and sensors the bike isn't equipped with. You are talking probably in the $1000 range for a logger capable, and this is likely without an air fuel sensor. Now you are really knocking on just going full standalone with logging built in etc. Though I completely understand where you are going, I am a data dork and love this stuff LOL. I mocked up the gen 2 black ECU connector which gets you

Throttle
Gear position
intake air temp
coolant temp
static air pressure (needed to be able to tune IAP fueling tables in ECU)
intake air pressure (engine vac/boost)
Sensor ground (which is needed for all of these as a ground reference)
Air fuel sensor is technically available at this connector, though you would really want a wideband sensor not the stock narrowband

Tach signal is on the opposite ECU connector on gen2 busa, not worth the hassle to make a whole 34 pin harness pigtail cable to get this 1 signal, could just tap in or solder a single connection on.

1608603144576.png

1608603115857.png

Last edited:
Interested.
Some silly questions that help me more than you ... at your convenience:
  • The Sensor Ground logs a binary value only?
  • Gear Position data is pulled by the ECU from the existing GP sensor behind the clutch basket (Gen II)?
  • Possible to do 1 device that does both (data collection and display real time data)? Programmable/Configurable? And/or at the flip of a rider switch?
  • Is a PnP AFR possible? Is the ECM already collecting/calculating this value?
Agree with Mythos but still interested
Hi there Hayawakened,
Sensor ground is just an ECU ground that the sensors need to be measured against. For example, measuring throttle position sensor measured against battery voltage doesn't equal the same thing as referenced to the sensor ground.

gear position is available to the ECU and I personally log it (gen 1 and gen 2 the same)

Getting something to both display as well as log now we are really getting more expensive and again probably into stand alone territory spend wise IMO

PNP AFR is something that I would plan as part of this, the MXT-L gauge I would make it so you could plug it in for power and ground. The gen 2 ecu does have a factory narrowband sensor, though not very good for trying to tune much power as narrowband aren't a very good tool for that.

And you could even run more than 1 ssi-4 for 8 analog channels, or add a 4 channel temp module

@smithabusa

man,
looks and sounds great !

but do you have a similar for the gen1 (2002 and later) too?

the tool you show seems to be for the gen2.

what price do you calculate for the enire data-log-package?

and how will you use all the logged datas?

as the "max stupid electronic user" (lool), i am ;)
i like to know this.

i suppose you put these datas into a new mapping by your other flashing-interface and the other computer programm (like petrikK)
and run afterwards the bike on a testbench?

some of the innovate stuff has a hard time with COP ignition

NEVER got a clean RPM signal on my LM-2 LM-1 perfectly
went to coils
tach signal
injectors
name it nothing gave a clean signal

that was a LONG time ago
even Had DaveO try and figure it out
that is why I now use zeitronix

@smithabusa

man,
looks and sounds great !

but do you have a similar for the gen1 (2002 and later) too?

the tool you show seems to be for the gen2.

what price do you calculate for the enire data-log-package?

and how will you use all the logged datas?

as the "max stupid electronic user" (lool), i am ;)
i like to know this.

i suppose you put these datas into a new mapping by your other flashing-interface and the other computer programm (like petrikK)
and run afterwards the bike on a testbench?
the adapter in the second pic on the right hand side is a gen 1 hayabusa connector :) I had it on my 00 turbo bike the other night.

Depending on what you are doing, but a logger could be used for fuel tuning, could be used as an aid to review how quickly you are getting to wide open throttle if drag racing, lots of things you can do with it to help improve performance and riding technique. Or if you are a dork like me you like to log data simply because it is fun to review afterwards LOL. This is a vide of my sand rail with the AQ1 logger messing around.

some of the innovate stuff has a hard time with COP ignition

NEVER got a clean RPM signal on my LM-2 LM-1 perfectly
went to coils
tach signal
injectors
name it nothing gave a clean signal

that was a LONG time ago
even Had DaveO try and figure it out
that is why I now use zeitronix
202 funny you say that, I started off with a LM2 on my sand rail and fought with the same issue, though it is worth noting whomever built this car originally did a horrible job on wiring, it has a lot of electrical noise. I am working up a new harness and the car adapter kit I recently came up with so all factory connections will remain as much in tact as possible.

I just ordered a LM2 again to give it another whirl as the last one actually worked fine on my bike for rpm, it was just the rail with all of it's noise issues that didn't like it. Going to give it a shot as I like their software, and it's priced economically enough that you can get some good signals logged without spending a small fortune. We will see how it goes. I am working on a few wego's for customers as well wiring them up for plug and play, I just don't care for the very limited channel count on them compared to other stuff out there.

Race technology makes some very nice stuff, we sell their precision GPS speed sensors at my day job along our very expensive data acquisition systems ($20-50K) depending on the setup, but that is very different than what we are after LOL.

Their DL1 sport has a lot of capability, but no build in wideband so that is extra, and their box is almost $700 before any wiring or adding a wideband. At that point you are at probably $1K for just a logger, when it would seem going with a standalone that can run/tune/log would make more sense.

1608645996677.png

I even tried the inductive pickup
On my rail I built a circuit to turn the noisy signal into something nice and clean, I think the unit is very susceptible to any electrical grounding issues etc which I know my rail has a lot at the moment LOL. I am actually going to try out the SSI-4 with the pocket logger and see how it goes. If it can be made reliable, the price point is perfect, even if developing a full harness for it to be a couple minute install.

Curious, electrically speaking what all is done to your bike? Mostly stock, a lot of add-ons? Stock magneto etc?

This is very sexy as well, has 4 analog inputs on the base unit, GPS integrated, 3 axis accels also, but $1200. Another $200 to add another 4 channels.

The same unit with no logging just speed, tach, and 4 analog inputs is $700. Considering making a plug play version of it, less than a grand for a really nice dash for non standalone guys.

1608761719743.png

Back