Working on my own bike

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
A week ago, my Busa was down to the motor and frame only. While in the middle of reassembly....a thought occurred to me....the ONLY time I grabbed the torque wrench was for the swingarm pivot reassembly!

Here's my question...proceeded by a statement:

I always use loc tite on fasteners, I have a keen sense of the material I'm threading into (like aluminum vrs. steel, etc.), I use quality tools, and, anything that isn't internal motor...THE TORQUE APPLICATION EXISTS IN MY BRAIN, NOT THE DIAL ON A TORQUE WRENCH. Decades of motorcycle, bicycle, auto, boat, firearm and lawn tractor wrenching and, since about 15 yrs old, never have I overtightened or undertightened that I can remember.

Question:

Is this normal or am I an overconfident fool when it comes to wrenching on my scooter? (no overconfident fool jokes please)! Seriously, I just really wonder how common my practice of "feeling" the amount of torque applied to fasteners is... among "veteran" wrenchers?

Raydog

A week ago, my Busa was down to the motor and frame only. While in the middle of reassembly....a thought occurred to me....the ONLY time I grabbed the torque wrench was for the swingarm pivot reassembly!

Here's my question...proceeded by a statement:

I always use loc tite on fasteners, I have a keen sense of the material I'm threading into (like aluminum vrs. steel, etc.), I use quality tools, and, anything that isn't internal motor...THE TORQUE APPLICATION EXISTS IN MY BRAIN, NOT THE DIAL ON A TORQUE WRENCH. Decades of motorcycle, bicycle, auto, boat, firearm and lawn tractor wrenching and, since about 15 yrs old, never have I overtightened or undertightened that I can remember.

Question:

Is this normal or am I an overconfident fool when it comes to wrenching on my scooter? (no overconfident fool jokes please)! Seriously, I just really wonder how common my practice of "feeling" the amount of torque applied to fasteners is... among "veteran" wrenchers?

Raydog
I think your overconfident. I don't trust myself or my strengh (lack of sometimes).

I'm sure you have WAY more experience and years under your belt, and you're probably ok.

I'll tell you what though. If I were you I'd be more confident than when someone else or a dealer has worked on it.

I think its normal. I've been working on cars for as long as I can remember and I hardly ever us a torque wrench.

if nothing has gone wrong for you at this point, I'd say keep on wrenching
thumb_up.gif

Over the years, I think most get the feel for how tight some thing needs to be. But with Engine Componets Cams, crank, Etc. I use a Torqe wrench for that type of assembly. You can't guess at 20, foot pounds just a Example.

Over the years, I think most get the feel for how tight some thing needs to be. But with Engine Componets Cams, crank, Etc. I use a Torqe wrench for that type of assembly. You can't guess at 20, foot pounds just a Example.
Yeah, I think part of having the experience includes KNOWING WHEN a junction is so critical....you better adhere to actual recommended ft/lb specs.
Raydog

Two things, Obviously your a little dizzy right now and are "you" normal
whistling.gif
Just because someone is out of control doesn't mean their a fool
rofl.gif

Everything else is good although I do seem to remember some nice shiny aftermarket foot rest part coming loose
rock.gif
, I still trust you.
I do like to measure things like spark plugs,drain plugs and I do mark things for visual inspection and assembly, helps me know things are where they should be. I don't think a torque wrench is necessary on everything, only on things you feel it is, if you know what your doing. Now hurry up with the Frankensteining of your bike please.

bodega__skaggs_026.jpg

Are you overconfident ? Perhaps!
Are you alone? Umm... no.
A torque wrench sits in my toolbox and is used on occasion but my highly tuned right hand (dont say it! ) is my default torque wrench.
peace.gif

I think its normal. There are certain criticle parts where I would dig for the torque wrench, but most You just kinda know.
firedevil.gif

considered TQ wrench for a couple years now, but have always trusted knowing when to say when. I feel I have a good feeling as to when something is tight enough.

I don't even use a pressure sensor to accuratly gauge how much pressue per square inch I apply to the keys on my keyboard while typing anymore.

Critical and some safety things I still use a torque wrench.

super.gif
PM -->
Loomis @ Mar. 12 2008 said:
1333677[/ATTACH] PM]

+1 on that I still torque the critical bolts and nuts, but............After you strip enough bolts you sort of get "the feel" for the right torque..
lol1.gif
face7.gif

super.gif

I would love to say that I possess the much coveted mechanic's "Calibrated" arm. An instrument which is honed to fine precision by years of experience. However...I got a grip on my ego a long time ago
cool.gif

For the past 25 years my first instinctive reflex action is to grab the appropriate torque wrench for the job.

The engineers that come up with torque values may be guys with slide rules, wear black framed, thick lensed glasses, and use pocket protecters (think vintage NASA engineers, or I.B.M. drones). However, they know more about torque-to-yield factors, and metallurgical properties, and fun stuff like the modulus of elasticisity, and moments of inertia than I do. At least that's my justification for using a torque wrench. That, and the peace of mind plus the satisfaction of a job well done.

for me anything engine, suspension, and brake related I torque following the book. It only takes a few seconds to torque it down to spec IMHO

I torque the axle nuts and engine components involving bearings and bushings. Everything else I rely on good old experience. Considering your experience, I think you're just fine
smile.gif

It is normal I try to use a torque wrench when required, but damn that is almost everything on the bike. Instead I resort to the "Calibrated Elbow" which I have learned to trust over the years except for doing engine components and particular drive train components.

Many years ago, we were tearing up some very expensive parts on sprint cars due to failure of torsion arms. Talking to the manufacturer it appeared, the parts that were failing were doing so because of over-tightening the bolts. I got 3 of the crew together and had each tighten a couple of bolts. I went back and checked to see how much torque it took to remove each. I then went back and tightened them correctly with the torque wrench. Then checked to see how much it took to remove them.

It was amazing and opened quite a few eyes. We stopped having failures of torsion arms"¦ at least unexplained ones anyhow. It still hurts me to think about one occasion when we tore up a chassis. 10k in parts that could have been prevented.

I don't use a torque wrench on everything by any means. I likely use it more than most and on all critical things. I also use it every once in a while to make sure the "click in my wrist"￾ is still close to calibration.

Back