working on a budget

TWISTIT

Registered
Hi guys and gals.
I know this is a old subject, but I need to know the best wheel chromer at a reasonable price. The only one I have found is Sportchrome.com for 450.00 with return shipping. Do you all know of any companys that can probably do it cheaper? I need a little help.
Thanks Twistit
devil.gif

I have been looking at chrome also and sportchrome is the best price and quality I have found. I don't want to sacrifice quality for money and $450 is a decent price for chrome. I want to take as little chances as I can and from what I have read sportchrome is my choice...plus a 1 year warr.

I took my bike to Tupelo Powersport in Tupelo MS...They swapped them out while I waited $600...Not bad to me...

I dont have the extra$ right now either so I opted for polishing. If you only do the outside edge it shouldnt take too long, but I did the whole rim ( front only ) to remove the casting sanding was endless...
sad.gif
But looks good so far and I have more fine sanding & polishing to go yet.

weather_028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having mine polished and "powder coated" which is supposed to have the effect of clearcoating them...thus eliminating much of the maintenance problems with polishing. My guy is in Vancouver, WA. I can send you info if interested. i do not have price, because it is rolled into all the other work he is doing.

thinker

I always wondered about powder coating. Does it have the same luster as chrome? Just curious.

Brian

I've been spending a lot of time looking into getting my wheels chromed.

Started at looking at the exchange program like STUNNAH did, take your bike in, they change the wheels while you wait. Pay a bit more than just sending them in to get chromed, but you don't have to hassle with the entire tear-down process including tires, hub, bearings, etc...
I will give that option a rating of #1 on my list.

Next, the option of tearing down. Remove the wheels, rotors, tires, hubs, bearings, all the hardware until you are down to just the aluminum wheels. Send them in, they offer 2-3 week turnaround. That does NOT include shipping time. Most places that offer this service take them and send them to a chroming shop where they have no way to monitor progress and quality. Costs about $150 to $200 less than option #1. I will give this option a rating of #2.

Then, the option of stripping and polishing. I did this to my wheels. It sucks. Too much work involved, too much maintenance involved, and personally, just doesn't look as good as chrome. I give this option a rating of #4.

This is the most sensible and smartest way to do it. Buy a set of chromed wheels. Just that simple. You buy them, put tires and hardware on them, get balancing done, and voila! AND you now have an extra set of wheels just in case. Just in case you bend one, or heaven forbid - chrome starts to peel so you need to send it back. I give this option a rating of #3.

In conclusion:
#1 - From what I have seen, average cost is $650 to $700. You drive up, you drive away an hour later. The shop does all the labor as you wait. The cost is about $150 to $200 more than sending in your wheels to get chromed, but no down time, and you also pay to have them do all the work. My choice.
#2 - Least expensive way to chrome your wheels (unless you own your own chroming shop.). Your out of commission for at least 3 weeks. You have to remove the tires and hardware before you ship them, and you get to put all that back on when they return. If they return and have a flaw, you ship them back, and you still are out of a ride. Cheap, yes, but you also run the risk of not riding for over a month.
mad.gif

#3 - Simply the best option for any avid rider. Buy a set of chrome rims. You will have 2 sets of wheels. The cost is the most expensive of any I have listed, anywhere from $900 to $1100 for a set of chromed stock Hayabusa wheels. My choice if I had the extra money, but I don't.
#4 - If you like to break your back, have your fingertips bleed, clean and buff your wheels for the life of the bike, then this is the option for you. Cost - $ 30 or less. Nice, but not as nice as chrome. Definitely better than black paint in some eyes. I will never again polish my wheels let alone my bar-ends.

Hope you enjoyed my research. I did. With all that said and done, I need some help. Can someone help me find a shop that I can take care of option #1 within 300 miles of Portland, Or.?? It would be a great help.

This ends our regularly scheduled programming.
glare.gif

I dont have the extra$ right now either so I opted for polishing. If you only do the outside edge it shouldnt take too long, but I did the whole rim ( front only )  to remove the casting sanding was endless...
sad.gif
Hey dude, its looking good. Im currently working on the b!tch bar (grab rail?) and this thing is kicking me directly in the nuts. My hands feel like they have authritus with water blisters and im only on step 2! lol.
face7.gif

Cache you hit the nail on the head...Good piece of writing and I agree...The perfect situation would be to have two sets of rims with one being chrome...Use could swap out as needed depending on what your ride was going to be like or if you were going to the track...I just don't know of a place near you that does option #1...Maybe you should just wait and save the cash to purchase the second set instead of that damn cell phone...Hmmm that's a thought...
muscle.gif

And if you guys want to stay prehistoric thats cool with me...I polish with handheld machines...Shucks that's the lonly way to do it...

I dont have the extra$ right now either so I opted for polishing. If you only do the outside edge it shouldnt take too long, but I did the whole rim ( front only )  to remove the casting sanding was endless...
sad.gif
I hope for your sake that's an old picture...You need to check out Caswell.com for your polishing need...

Back