Won't start consistantly

ThunderJohn

Registered
Well I cannot get my CBR to start consistently. I go out to start it and when you push in the button in for one it is kind of finicky. You have to push it in real slow and kind of get it to catch (may take several times of pushing in to get it to do this). When you get I to catch it might just start right up or it might crank like the battery is dead and not start. It will click and start to crank slowly and not start. I can push start it every time but even after running it for a while it will not start again. I just need a place to start and look I am pretty clueless on working on my own bike but do not want to pay 65 an hour if I can fix it myself.

Hope I can get some help here. Thanks guys.

How about what year bike as well...

I am thinking if the battery is good, maybe the starter solenoid or the starter itself... just a first guess...

Sorry need the details.

2003 CBR 600RR

It has about 6000 miles. I do not think it is the battery either. I think it has to be some kind of electrical problem. I just do not know if it the switch or back at the starter. When you push the button you can hear a clicking noise from under the passenger seat.

Not knowing the bike that well, maybe if there is a starter relay, swap it out with one you know it good...

Clean the battery terminals and make sure the clamps are tight. Simple things first.

--Wag--

Starter-switch (button) contacts failing.....
+1 if the batt terminals have been cleaned and re tightened, then i would go w a starter relay.
i had the same problem a while back.
ThumbsUp.gif

You also might want to check the battery cables themselves for high resistance. Especially the cable going from the battery to the starter.

Fixed it this morning. I had thought it was the switch failing also. I too kthe battery out and cleaned the terminals and thought what the heck I have it out so I will run it up to autozone. I went up he hooked it up and it read fine. He suggested leaving it up there and letting him charge it. I talked to him for a while it started beeping and he said yep you need a new battery. I had read of this problem on the CBR board tha it is a dry cell or something and sometimes it will start and sometimes it won't. So all in all it sems fixed.

I still think the starter button contacts seem to be failing sometimes you push the button in and nothing happens at all like you are not even pushing the button. I may take it apart and clean or replace them. It is not as noticable now that I put the new battery in. I think I have done enough bike work for one day. I will have to get brave this week and try an oil change too. I am getting braver about taking the bikes apart. Especially hers ;)

Thanks for the help guys

Back