Wondering if I'm ready for one?

FJRider

Registered
First I'd like to say this is a fantastic web site and most of the posters seem to have a healthy maturity level that's pretty refreshing.

Lately I've been considering the purchase of a Busa, and up until I ran across this website, I was choppin' at the bit to get one. The more posts I read, the more I'm thinking about venturing carefully into this decision.

I'm in my early fifties and still as active as any 30 year old (jetskiing, powerboating, etc). I began riding small trail and street bikes in the 60's. In the 70's I ventured into the world of motorcross bikes; not racing professionally, but rather the typical weekend-warrior stuff (250's). Also in the 70's I moon-lighted as a Kawasaki saleman which provided me a great opportunity to ride a wide variety of bikes; Kaw'ie H1's, H2's, 900's; Goldwings, Suzuk's, HD's..., just about everything there was at that time. My main ride at the time was a 350cc enduro, and a 250cc motorcross bike.

A few years later I got the bug to buy a street bike and ended up with a KZ1000. It was pretty quick compared to everything else I had ridden at the time. I never went down on it, or even had a 0 mph fall over. Like any bike, if you keep a healthy respect for it, the battle is half (but not totally) won.

In the early 80's I ended up moving into the Northern Virginia/DC area and street riding became more of a highway crap-shoot than a fun experience. Seemed like nearly every time I'd ride someone would cut me off, pull out in front of me, etc. Most of us have been there. Eventually the FU traffic conditions took its toll and I got away from street riding for close to 20 years. Of course every spring I'd get the bug to buy one, but I'd talk myself out of the purchase because of the the worsening traffic conditions.

Finally, I ran into some new friends that were riding and that pushed me over the edge. Plus I was really getting sick of the sitting in eco-box commuter cars. Traffic or not, I began my search for another street bike. Cruisers and HD's were definitely out of the question. R1's, GSXR's, etc, while definitely cool, didn't feel like anything I wanted to ride for any prolonged periods of time, so I crossed those off my list too. I was basically looking for something with plenty of power and good handling, and with at least a moderate level of riding comfort.

I've always felt as soon as you become complacent with your machine, it will bite you, so I tend to buy powerful machines so the 'complacency bug' doesn't rear its ugly head. Besides, I've always road on the conservative side anyway, only opening it up when there was plenty of clear space ahead and no one around. I decided that a Yamaha FJR1300 would be able to get me back in the game. At 145hp @ 99 lb/ft of torque it had plenty of power, and even when loaded down with the hard bags, it has good handling characteristics. Claimed top speed is in the 160 range, (not that I have the bug to see the speed-o pointing there).

I have to admit, after being away from riding for so long, riding the FJR back from the dealership was somewhat of a white-knuckle event. I definitely gained an immediate respect for the FJR's torque. With some miles accumulating on it now, everything is falling back into place. Traffic is still a PIA and I find myself riding on back roads mostly, rather than on highways just to stack the odds in my favor a bit.

While my FJR is a great bike and I intend to keep it for a long time for general cruising, I'm getting the itch to buy something else. It's just something about those hard saddle bags, rear storage box, and pull back bars, that says, "semi-Goldwing" And that bugs me a bit.

When I started my search I saw the Busa in amongst the R1's, GSXR's, Duc's, and didn't pay it much attention to it because it seemed like just another uncomfortable rocket bike. Then one day I sat on one and realized it didn't have that same R1 feel and agressive lean forward angle. At 6' & 220# I felt comfortable on it. So I started doing some research. Like most of you, the power was definitely an intriging factor, even though I figured very few people could tap it's full capabilities. The big thing was, its looks attracted me to it like a drug.

So lately I've become serious about buying a Busa. Then I ran across this website and particularly the thread; "Thinking about buying a Busa as my first bike?" After reading several of the posts, I decided to give more thought to the purchase. Even with my moderate level of riding experience, I'm not sure I'm ready for it. Some of the posts actually made me feel fearful of it. Obviously the Busa is faster and more powerful than the FJR. What bothers is, I fear the Busa may require so much attention to the right grip, that the fear factor might outweigh the fun factor.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has experience on both the FJR and the Busa to hear what the differences are. Paricularly from you older riders.

No Stick with your EFFY
wink.gif

The busa was my first and only motorcycle. I have learned it VERY well in the short time I been on it. Hit the speed limiter 2 times, my first wheelie was on it, and I am head over heels in love with it. I have 10,000 miles on it now and just got it in March of 2004. I would say to you if you can have the right head on your shoulders about this bike then by all means get one. If you respect this bike it'll ride like a pussycat.

Go for it FJ!.....you won't be satisfied until you do.I too have been bit by the Busa Bug and realized the only cure is to buy one.It's the baddest bike on the road and it's performance and looks are second to none which means I have to have 1.Being you have the riding time under your belt and your older and much wiser I personally think you'll be fine with the bike.I'm soon to be 43 and can't picture myself on a Harley or any other cruiser.They seem to lack the torque and H.P. my bloodstream requires plus they can't get out there own way.

if you do buy one you will be glad because the busa is like nothing else it is in my opinon the most beautiful bike that has ever been made (stock) and after a while it could look like carman NJ's Busa man that is one sweet ride !!! as far as your rideing skill you can handle it !!

Rode a friends FJR for 1/2 day, nice bike but I felt like a yuppie on it. IMHO your compo to a Gold Wing is accurate, its a light weight Wing. Owned several wings in the late 70's. Used them to haul females around. Rode the Dunstall when I went solo & had to feed the need for speed.

Friend of mine brought a Busa to bike week in 04 & let me ride it. The following day I went to the Zook dealer in Daytona & traded my Vmax for a  new Busa & have never been happier with a new bike purchase.

The only thing I had concerns about was throttle apply, it was a little twitchy & difficult to be smooth in slow traffic. Installation of a plug & play TRE solved that problem.

Analogy:
The Busa can putt with the wings or rip with the rockets.

i just sold my 04 fjr and i own a 05 busa . both bikes are great . i put 12 thousand miles on the fjr in the first 3 months so i know it well .

i wouldnt replace the fjr with a busa but i would definitely add the busa to the stable . i didnt sell my fjr to get the busa but i sold it because my girlfreind got scared off from riding because i had an accident on a bike .

if you are riding the fjr the busa will be no problem to get used to , they arent that different . the busa is faster but the fjr is no slouch and if you are riding the fjr hard you will adapt to the busa no sweat .the big thing on the busa is the top speed . the fjr will pull real strong up to 140 mph but the busa will pull real strong to 170 . the busa is real fun from a roll on . go 70 mph in 2nd gear on the busa and punch it , bang it through some gears shifting at 11 thousand and you will be amazed how fast the speedo sweeps to 170

the busa is great for sports touring 1 up where the fjr is great for sport touring 2 up . i rode the busa for 12 hrs yesterday and i feel pretty good this morning and plan to do a big ride today . in other words it is comfy for a sport bike .

if you have any question about how a busa stacks up to the fjr fell free to ask me .

here are a few things that i feel are similar on the 2 bikes . they are both rock solid at triple digit speeds . the both have a lot of tourqe and once you are going 70 mph you can ride in top gear and still have plenty of power to pass traffic (no need to downshift) .both are heavy , and feel rock solid at all times , and arent affected by side wind or potholes etc , both bikes are like chissels and cut through everything .

hope this helps

The power of the Busa is one of a kind. I have ridden quite a few bikes throughout my 25 years of motorcylcling. The last bike I owned was a Buell M2 Cyclone. The Cyclone had lots of power, which pretty much kept me satisfied during the 5 years in which I owned it. Due to getting nickle and dimed to death and the need for a more comfortable ride, I decided to trade it in on a sport bike. I wanted the Hayabusa, but the salesman talked me into buying a Katana 750. The Katana was a nice bike, but it did not have the lowend torque that my Buell did. After a week and a half of riding it I brought it back and traded it in on the Hayabusa. On my way home from getting slammed in the arse at the stealership, on the trade in price for the Katana, I noticed a big difference on this bike. I could not believe what the bike did when I cranked on the throttle. The power was incredible. To be honest with you, this bike was a little more than I had expected and I had expected a lot. I quickly grew respect for the power of this bike.
I say you get the bike. You won't regret it. Lets face it, your not going to be happy with what you have now, when you know what is out there.....The hayabusa. I wasn't, so I bought the bike even though I knew I would be taking it in the shorts when I traded in the Katana. I have no regrets and I can say that I am more than 100% satisfied with my Busa.
GET THE BUSA

the FJR is a very nice bike.....my dad is a speed freak at 60 years old and we took our second ride together this past Saturday.....i let him ride the busa for about 30 miles through some twisties and the combination of that and the fact that i blew by him like he was standing still as he was topping out (145mph speedo) have him thinking about adding a busa to the stable.....his exact quote was, "I just didn't realize how slow my bike was". you won't regret getting a busa!

the FJR is a great bike. my 60 year old speed freak father owns one but after our 2nd ride together this past weekend i think there is a strong possibility of a busa being added to his stable. his exact quote after putting about 25 miles on my busa was, "I just didn't know how slow my bike was". You won't regret getting a busa!

Go to a dealer and sit on another one and you'll be buyin' it!
biggrin.gif
It is a great bike that fits all modes of riding. You'll enjoy it for whatever purpose you buy it for. Good luck with the decision and keep us informed!

You've perhaps already won the first rule for owning a Busa, and that's maturity. This one factor alone says that if you are comfortable sitting on the bike, like the looks and styling of the bike, then outside of monthly payments, there should be nothing keeping you from obtaining it.

To be totally serious, the Busa just deserves a little respect when you are riding her, if ya don't, she'll let ya know. She's as quiet and docile as any bike you've ever rode under 5,000 rpm, it's above that that she wakes up and screams "HOLD ON". You can ride this bike all day long under 5,000 rpm (not sure why, but you could), and it's just like any other scooter you've thrown your leg over.

So if you can control your right wrist, (remember, she can only go as fast, or as quick as YOU let her), you'll have no problem with a Busa and the FJR will be spending alot of time alone sitting in the garage. The one other topic that would usually be mentioned is the added weight the Busa carries, but coming from the FJR, not so much a concideration for your riding abilities.

Now go buy it and enjoy your life.
biggrin.gif

Back