Woman gets a $835 parking ticket.

What upset me is the D.A. says, "See that tree over there? That's not your tree."

Umm, yes it is. It's public property, therefore it's my tree. And there was no sign where she parked. I hope she wins this one and I hope she learns to park on the pavement.

She passed open spaces to drive over a curb painted red and didn't see the no parking on the grass signs or the no parking in large white letter on the red curbing. Hmmm...I wonder why the jacked up the fines from $15 to $750?

Is 750 excessive? Maybe if there wasn't every opportunity to avoid the ticket in the first place, but all she had to do was use the parking lot that she drove through instead of entitling herself to the grass. She chose to park out of order, she needs to accept the consequences.

Parking is a big issue almost everywhere these days. People take liberties with the simplest of laws and then the get bent because the fine is more than they feel like paying? C'mon.

As they say, if you can't pay the fine, don't do the "crime".

One things certain though: Bet she will NEVER park on the grass there again. And isn't that the point of fines in the first place? To discourage the behavior for which the fine is levied?

Bet if turning left in front of motorcycle was an automatic $10K ticket that it would happen a heck of lot less often. :whistle:

It's total BS! Punishment should fit the crime. Maybe $100.00. After all it is parking not a moving violation...

Acutually this is in my town and she was wayyy out of line...i was there this day as i coach youth soccer there and play games there. There is more then enough parking at this facility. She had absolutly no right period to park in the grass. there are numerous signs posted that say no parking in the grass. she drove over a fire curb and past walking people to get to the tree. Also this isnt the first time people have been warned thats why the damn signs are posted. There are 2 huge lots that provide way more parking than what is needed. the lazy piece of crap that parked there just thought she was special or something. Also the parking lots are free!!!! So she deserves what she gets. Also it is not a public park. That is an error the paper made. Its is a privately owned complex here in council bluffs that the city utilizes.
If i had been the officer there i would have towed her vehicle.

She passed open spaces to drive over a curb painted red and didn't see the no parking on the grass signs or the no parking in large white letter on the red curbing. Hmmm...I wonder why the jacked up the fines from $15 to $750?

Is 750 excessive? Maybe if there wasn't every opportunity to avoid the ticket in the first place, but all she had to do was use the parking lot that she drove through instead of entitling herself to the grass. She chose to park out of order, she needs to accept the consequences.

Parking is a big issue almost everywhere these days. People take liberties with the simplest of laws and then the get bent because the fine is more than they feel like paying? C'mon.

As they say, if you can't pay the fine, don't do the "crime".

One things certain though: Bet she will NEVER park on the grass there again. And isn't that the point of fines in the first place? To discourage the behavior for which the fine is levied?

Bet if turning left in front of motorcycle was an automatic $10K ticket that it would happen a heck of lot less often. :whistle:

actually they say:

"dont do the crime if you cant do the time, yeah dont do it"

- USA TV Series-Robert Blake as Baretta[/url]

parking tickets are infractions not crimes

infraction = $ fine
crime = $ fine or incarceration

Last edited by a moderator:
Acutually this is in my town and she was wayyy out of line...i was there this day as i coach youth soccer there and play games there. There is more then enough parking at this facility. She had absolutly no right period to park in the grass. there are numerous signs posted that say no parking in the grass. she drove over a fire curb and past walking people to get to the tree. Also this isnt the first time people have been warned thats why the damn signs are posted. There are 2 huge lots that provide way more parking than what is needed. the lazy piece of crap that parked there just thought she was special or something. Also the parking lots are free!!!! So she deserves what she gets. Also it is not a public park. That is an error the paper made. Its is a privately owned complex here in council bluffs that the city utilizes.

I agree totally with the fact she should get a ticket, but not $835.00. Justice now a days seem like it is all about making money off the taxpayer when their bottom line comes up short... Ticket should fit the offense... I like the idea of making it a tow a way zone...

viper
would a small, say one foot fence between the fire curb and the grass solve the problem ?

although the guy seemed like an a** he had the best quote of the story, "respect the signs"

she shouldnt have parked there. she passed open spots & jumped a red curb that said no parking on it. "hello, mcfly."

however $835 is insane. if $15 tickets werent doing the trick i think $100 would be sufficent.

my worthless .02

She deserved it. Too bad they couldn't add other chargers. Like improper use of vehicle or reckless driving (she had to jump a curb to get there). $835 is a harsh lesson, but a lesson none the less.

Never the less, the penalty needs to fit the offense. That is for all our protection not just hers. She did a dumb selfish thing. I still like the idea of towing her vehicle rather than some outrageous fine. At least that way she would have been inconvenienced and pay impound fees. Maybe she would have learned a lesson that way...

I agree, she does deserved the ticket, but I dont think should be that much. I wonder what is the fine if she run a stop sign or a red light or any other moving violation that does put others in danger. I bet those are less expensive than this one. IMO

Back