witness in a motorcycle accident

mgnsn24

Registered
I hate to even bring this up but I have always asked myself if i witnessed a bad motorcycle accident I don't know how I would react towards continuance of my riding of my own bike. I have a very weak stomach towards something like this. Has anyone ever been in a situation like this and how did you react. Knock on wood....but I pray this never happens!

without hesitation, I pull over and rush to the aid of the fallen rider (I am in the medical field in the Navy, maybe that's why plus I also ride)

definately! I would do the same under some adrenaline. but truely after the fact if I witnessed it I don't know if I could go on riding depending how bad it was.

I've lost a few friends to motorcycle accidents although I was not at the scene. I've witnessed a couple and been the first responder on a few accidents. I’ve also witness some pretty severe injuries to friends in motocross and cross country racing. Honestly the loss of the friends impacted me more than any of the rest. Enough I think it has been a sub-conscious factor in the significant reduction in my riding the last couple of years .

saw a guy up against a light pole. the light came loose and crashed to the ground. he didn't need my help

Well I drove a wrecker for 22 years so I see the people mutilated in cars, trucks an motorcycles. Saw I get pinned by a dump truck an slammed into the concrete wall where his car caught on fire an he burned alive. Isn't going to keep me from driving.

Prefer to look at what happened and see if there is some way to prevent what happened to them from what happened to me. I am sure there is more than 1 member here like me who has kept an eye in the rear view mirror when driving or stopped at a light to make sure the people behind are going to stop an be prepared to get out of the way if they look like they aren't. Foreseeing the mistakes of others an not making assumptions of what the other is going to do is all you can do.

People have died having sex no one is thinking about quiting are they, however if you don't feel good about riding after by all means don't ride, riding is supposed to make you feel good.

I hate the sight of blood and guts. I hated it forever. Squeemish, you bet! But if there is an emerency, the adrenelin kicks in and you do what you have to do. I have 2 boys and trust me on this, you will respond without even thinking. I have also come upon a few gorey wrecks and the same thing kicked in. Until someone with more knowledge than me or a EMT came on Scene. I know first aid and i know CPR, so i do what i can. When it's over, i go get sick..:laugh:

the answer to your question is instinct and adrenalin will take over and youll help out hopefully none of us has to do this for a fellow rider...

hay Ace, did you sit in on Slider Gilmores "Golden Hour Of An Accident" siminar when you were in Orlando??

for the rest of the class:rulez:he teaches you what to do, when you or your buddy goes down, what you can do to help save a life. great siminar, ive been through it 3 times.

way before i even thot i would ever ride a bike, i witnessed a gruesome accident. harley guy,intoxicated, thot he was invinsible. well some of he's internal orhans were visible..
along the way, my eyes have been exposed to a fair share of blood and guts.
my sister who's a nurse, works in ICU, she's told me so many horror stories some of them put me to sleep.
last yr we did a ride and i was behind a biker who was behind a guy who crashed. luckily this one wasnt as bad. could have been a bad train wreck! there was 500+ bikes

instincts usually just kick in and you dont even think of anything but helping someone.

i've been on-scene for a few accidents through the years and you just do what you have to do...get people posted at both ends of the site to stop/slow down traffic, keep the downed rider as calm and immobile as possible, administer first aid if you are trained to do so, and get emergency response on the way..most importantly, don't freak out in front of your injured brother or sister, there will be plenty of time to lose it, have nightmares, etc. later...quit riding? never! like busa1166 said, i try to learn something from each incident and hopefully can pass it on to others

I've been on the scene of more crashes than I care to remember. Ambulance rides, life flights, fortunately no fatalities first hand. Try to keep the patient calm and still and talking until medical help arrives. Do not remove the helmet. Find a couple of people to control traffic and get bike parts out of the road. You don't need an auto accident at the scene on top of what you are already dealing with. None of them have made me want to stop riding. Almost all of them were the result of someone trying to keep up with a group of more experienced riders and running out of skills.

without hesitation, I pull over and rush to the aid of the fallen rider (I am in the medical field in the Navy, maybe that's why plus I also ride)

Just wanted to point out that this isnt BS. He does and did...

I to have been at the seen of a bad accident (car) and I was one of the first there. A drunk man ran under a tractor and trailer and really messed him up. He was in pretty bad shape. We could not get him out and they ended up cutting the car up to remove him. Sometimes it is hard for me to stomach things but for me it seemed that it did not bother me then. I think most people would tack action no matter if they think they can or not. Thanks to all of you that have to do things like for a job. You are very special people!:bowdown:

Back