Wisconsin wtf ?

Benefits paid and a pension...plus $52,600...for a 9 month work year ???
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea man.... HOW can they live on that, an for only 9 months of work, and ride Busa in the summer when it's the best time to be off ??
How can they do that ??

:laugh::laugh:

If you guys had half a clue as to what's going on here, you'd crap. Teachers telling kids to protest in the streets, mobs (literally) breaking windows, etc in the state capital. It is crazy. Also, the whole thing started over an 8% increase in their health insurance. My health insurance has been going up by more than 8% each year for years! Plus there is the deal with the pensions. Their pensions are based on their HIGHEST salary, not their "previous" salary. So what these teachers are doing is a couple years before they are going to retire, they apply and work at the collegiate level, then their pensions are based off of salary levels that they have only worked on for a couple years or a year instead of their whole career. Not to mention the 12 month paid healthcare vs the the 9 month work year.
I'm NEVER going to say that there aren't teachers that deserve EVERY penny they are given and even more, but its the ones that aren't that need to be weeded out. Same thing goes for all of the other City, County, State level Union employees, and non-union employees as well.
It's getting crazy here. All this talk about recalling Walker, but yet nobody is saying ANYTHING about recalling the 14 Democratic Senators that left their constituents and fled the state.

As far as letting the State go bankrupt, and starting over without Unions, that is a pipe dream, and we all know how that will play out. Then the rest of the country can pay for our state problems as well.

Here is the part I don't understand.. The logic should speak for itself.....
The teachers are angry because they don't have collective bargaining anymore, they agreed to the increase in payments for their health insurance and also more to their pensions.

What was on the table most recently they were unwilling to settle for was the collective bargaining for pay.....

Now here is how I see it... Someone correct me if I am mistaken....

The teachers will get a raise no more than inflation of the state... Any more of an increase must be put to a vote of the people of Wisconsin. I keep hearing that the Govenor has taken the rights of the people away, it sounds to me as though he has put the rights back into the hands of the people.... the voters! If ALL of Wisconsin is upset about this then next year when it's time for raises the voters will surely vote for the increase Right????

It seems to me as though the unions are the ones that are upset, they can't give the ten of millions of dollars to political campaigns any longer, it seems that the people CITIZENS whom also are teachers can now vote themselves a pay raise without having a union demand what must be done... It seems to me that those crappy teachers that are out there can now be dealt with and the great teachers (Most are great) can continue to work hard and there will be more money for programs because the union isn't getting all the funds...

Am I missing something?

cap

And in the end it's the kids who suffer.
Who's been teaching them while everyone is out rioting ?

And in the end it's the kids who suffer.
Who's been teaching them while everyone is out rioting ?

Thats a whole different story...

To me it's a lot like the Rodney King riots... All those thousands of folks that were mad he got beat up... What's the natural thing to do? Go light some stuff on fire and bust out the windows of hard working businesses. Turn a few cars over and steal some stuff from the local shops....

Wisconsin, stop teaching the kids... Take them to the capitol so they can march around unaware of what they are there for... Refuse to leave the capitol, etc etc etc... Great examples for the kids in that area...

cap

Thats a whole different story...

To me it's a lot like the Rodney King riots... All those thousands of folks that were mad he got beat up... What's the natural thing to do? Go light some stuff on fire and bust out the windows of hard working businesses. Turn a few cars over and steal some stuff from the local shops....

Wisconsin, stop teaching the kids... Take them to the capitol so they can march around unaware of what they are there for... Refuse to leave the capitol, etc etc etc... Great examples for the kids in that area...

cap

I just hope all this doesn't affect the cheese industry cuz I likes me sum sharp cheddar with my summer sausage :)

Why stop, explain it to me... You obviosuly have an opinion...

we are totally diff people that will never see eye to eye. its not worth the frustation. i wouldve just deleted it but i dont have that option.

we are totally diff people that will never see eye to eye. its not worth the frustation. i wouldve just deleted it but i dont have that option.

I know you are as strong of a union guy as I am a non union guy, but that's part of life. We agree to disagree.. I like hearing the other sides as well. We can all get along here. Plus if and when we ever meet in real life, we'll have stories! :-D

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

I know you are as strong of a union guy as I am a non union guy, but that's part of life. We agree to disagree.. I like hearing the other sides as well. We can all get along here. Plus if and when we ever meet in real life, we'll have stories! :-D

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

thats just it though im not a huge union guy, ill prob never work union when i get out of this field, but i can see the benfits of one just like i can see the faults. its hard for me to be one sided on anything. things in the real world are not neat, clean cut, objects we can label. union and non union both have a good side and a bad side. i dont think its right to legislate out a right to balance a budget.

thats just it though im not a huge union guy, ill prob never work union when i get out of this field, but i can see the benfits of one just like i can see the faults. its hard for me to be one sided on anything. things in the real world are not neat, clean cut, objects we can label. union and non union both have a good side and a bad side. i dont think its right to legislate out a right to balance a budget.

The problem in Wisconsin though is that that "right" is what has been draining the budget for years. Our last Governor (Doyle) has been feeding that fuel for years. This budget proposal was on his desk 8 months before he left office. He LEFT this mess for the next administration, and now people want to hang Walker for it. I don't think its right to expect the taxpayers to pay for these people's "right". I don't expect my neighbors to pay for my pay raise, why should they expect me to pay for theirs??

I tried to :shutup: but it's time for me to get up on my :soapbox:

Most of you know I am a teacher.

This is what we've been fighting all week... This morning, on a 29-22 vote, the full Senate defeated the Senate Appropriations Committee's strike-all amendment that would have funded K-12 education $81-million below the House level of funding in HB1494, the education funding bill.

In Mississippi we don't have unions.. well we do HAVE them but they are not strong as in the north.

My PERSONAL opinion... teachers should NOT be out of their classrooms protesting and DEFINITELY not dragging the students out with them.

Tenure is a bad thing. It keeps incompetent teachers in positions that they shouldnt be in.

Yes we only TEACH YOUR CHILDREN for 9 months out of the year.. but the other three months we are going back to school to work on our professional development, attending workshops, teaching summer school, coaching sports teams, and many other school related functions.

Our pay?? :rofl: don't even get me started on that. I have 6 yrs of teaching experience, 8 yrs of "real world" experience, will finish my masters degree in July, drive a school bus, coach volleyball.. and I make a whopping $39,000 a yr.. BEFORE TAXES!. Whoop I have pension I can look forward to.. and fairly good health insurance that I never use because I can't take a day off to go to a Dr. because they school district won't pay for a substitute teacher.

Okay.. now that my blood pressure is up...

Make sure you know the whole story before you judge these people. It is a lot of age-old politics of putting EVERYTHING before education.

The problem in Wisconsin though is that that "right" is what has been draining the budget for years. Our last Governor (Doyle) has been feeding that fuel for years. This budget proposal was on his desk 8 months before he left office. He LEFT this mess for the next administration, and now people want to hang Walker for it. I don't think its right to expect the taxpayers to pay for these people's "right". I don't expect my neighbors to pay for my pay raise, why should they expect me to pay for theirs??

just because they have the right for collective bargaining doesnt mean they should get everything they want. i think that with some give and take on both sides a good deal could be struck. maybe not.

what is the total burden they present? what is the defecit? i dont really know you live there just asking. just seems like a band aid for a larger problem.

just because they have the right for collective bargaining doesnt mean they should get everything they want. i think that with some give and take on both sides a good deal could be struck. maybe not.

what is the total burden they present? what is the defecit? i dont really know you live there just asking. just seems like a band aid for a larger problem.

It would add up to like $22 million...

Highlights of Gov. Walker's budget repair bill

The larger problem is that this has been going on for years here in Wisconsin, and Walker is the first person to DO ANYTHING about it. We've been borrowing money from Minnesota for 3-4 years now to try to put a band aid on things. It fell off... We are bleeding. BAD!

Busa Jules. I never mentioned that I don't want to hear both sides of the story. I have 5 friends that this is going to effect in a MAJOR way. Several hundred dollars per month. All I'm saying is that they haven't felt this for the past few years like everyone else has, its their "turn" now to feel it. I know it sucks. Also just like anything else in the world there are the good and the bad. There is no way to weed out the bad in Wisconsin. I'm not setting the world on fire with my pay scale either, but I have NO pension, and my health insurance is "okay" to say the most. But even my okay insurance has went up more than 5% per year for the past 5 years. Why should I have to pay for my increase and also theirs? That's all I'm saying..
:beerchug:

Back