Wireless Access on my RV

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
We are looking at getting a new wireless printer for the rolling command center and not sure how to get it set up the way we want. How do you connect a wireless laptop to an external WiFi connection (such as at a campground) and also have access to a wifi printer on my local network?

I use a wireless Ethernet adapter / router. Mine is a buffalo air station. Also, with windows, you can set up a network from your computer for the printer to connect to.

Here is what I am trying to do. I want to have the laptop connected to an outside wireless internet connection and use the wireless printer connected to the router in my RV.

Capture.jpg

If they made a router that functioned like an access point to connect wireless to an outside WAN that would be even better.

Capture.jpg

Won't your Laptop connect to more than one wireless connection at the same time?

if so, you have your 'mini network - wireless router, wireless printer connected to this router and your laptop - and also connect your laptop to the 'other' nw at the same time...

Either way, can i have the address, so I can send pics of me passing Jay to it intermittantly? :laugh:

If they made a router that functioned like an access point to connect wireless to an outside WAN that would be even better.

They do make routers like this and it is the only way you can do what you are looking to accomplish. Getting your laptop to reliably work on two wireless networks at the same time is not trivial in a fixed environment, but in a mobile environment like your command center, it would need to be reconfigured almost every time you connected to a new campground WLAN.

This should work:
Network.png

You would want to configure your personal network with an unusual private IP range of 10.255.255.0/24 or something like that so that it would be less likely to conflict with the IP addresses you would see at the various campgrounds. I can help you set this up via email or PM if you like.

--Sky

Network.png

Man that Linksys box looks to be the ticket. It allows any device that need wired connectivity to the internet access via wireless connection.

I had found the Hawking HW2R1 device that will do the same thing and has the router built in. The Linksys is a cheaper solution and I have several routers laying around so THANKS!

They do make routers like this and it is the only way you can do what you are looking to accomplish. Getting your laptop to reliably work on two wireless networks at the same time is not trivial in a fixed environment, but in a mobile environment like your command center, it would need to be reconfigured almost every time you connected to a new campground WLAN.

This should work:
View attachment 252703

You would want to configure your personal network with an unusual private IP range of 10.255.255.0/24 or something like that so that it would be less likely to conflict with the IP addresses you would see at the various campgrounds. I can help you set this up via email or PM if you like.

--Sky

Oh, and you win on the cut and paste diagrams....yours is much better than mine.:laugh:

Thanks again.

This should work:
View attachment 252703

--Sky

does your laptop have bluetooth if so get a bluetooth printer and you can print from your phone and laptop thats how my buddies is setup

Found the best device ever....Cradlepoint makes an MBR95 Router that has wired and wireless WAN connectivity as well as accepting my Verizon 3G card! It will fail over to the Verizon card if it looses the WAN. All that for 99 bucks. You just can beat that.

Ordered one today. I'll post up some more info after some field tests. The 3Gstore has some crazy stuff out there!

^^^^^^^^^^^Those are very cool -- I have one myself and thought about recommending it to you, but your design called for connecting to local broadband Wifi which it will not do.

The CradlePoints are great for access when there is no Wifi, but with bandwidth caps anymore, it is easy to chew up your allotted bandwidth quickly then find yourself throttled or buying another chunk. Certainly courtesy wifi in a trailer camp is cheaper (although not necessarily faster) than 3g/4g connectivity.

--Sky

I bought this one because that is what is specifically does. Connects to Wifi wired or wireless in addition to the 3G connection to my modem. Thanks for the help. You got me started down this path.

^^^^^^^^^^^Those are very cool -- I have one myself and thought about recommending it to you, but your design called for connecting to local broadband Wifi which it will not do.

The CradlePoints are great for access when there is no Wifi, but with bandwidth caps anymore, it is easy to chew up your allotted bandwidth quickly then find yourself throttled or buying another chunk. Certainly courtesy wifi in a trailer camp is cheaper (although not necessarily faster) than 3g/4g connectivity.

--Sky

Very cool -- I have the CTR35, it's a different beast, but it goes everywhere I do. Glad you are sorted out.

Back