Winter Project - RCC Stage 1 Turbo - '03 Busa

robhrzic

Registered
Hello All,

I am about ready to pull the trigger, and finally get a turbo for my '03 Busa. I'd like to do this as a winter project, and since I am a turbo noob, I am gonna' need some help and guidance.

I plan on getting the following:

RCC Stage 1 kit
Tial 50 mm BOV
MPS 62# (650 cc/min.) Injectors
Billet Fuel Rail
Bazzaz Z-F1 Control Unit
Bazzaz Z-AFM kit - allows for self tuning
Heavy Duty Clutch Springs
Billet Clutch Slave Support
Brock's Ultra Clutch Mod
Brock's Clutch Cushion
Cycle-Tek CO2 Shifter with Launch Limiter and Autoshift option
2" lower front/rear
17/43 sprockets

My goals: 275 to 300 HP on dyno using octane booster or (110 octane CAM2) race gas (8-9 psi boost?), 1/4 mile in the 8's (260 lb. rider, stock wheelbase), Bike will be used 80/20, street/strip. I do not want to get a Stage II kit at this moment, but that may be an option in the future if the need arises. :laugh:

I would really like to do the install myself, but have never attempted anything such as this on a motorcycle, though I do have some experience with centrifugal superchargers and 5.0 liter Mustangs. Here come the questions:

Are there any reputable turbo gurus / builders / tuners in the Cleveland, OH area? I'd like to have someone (locally) to go to if I get stuck, and I will obviously need a proper dyno tune upon completion? I would also like to get a "before" dyno sheet, this fall, so that I can compare numbers to the "after" in the spring.

Does anyone have any experience tuning a turbo setup with the Bazzaz Z-F1 / Z-AFM combination? Pros and cons? I really like the idea of having a closed loop self-tuning system. I currently have a PCIIIr installed now, but I would like to "upgrade" when I go the turbo route. Is it possible to just plug in A/F ratios required and let the Z-F1 make the changes, or would I need to load a "base map" and go from there?

Would the MPS 62# injectors and Billet fuel rail be enough to safely get to the (approximately) 300 HP level, without maxing out the duty cycle time of the injectors?

If this combination would not be adequate for producing the kind of HP that I am talking about, then what else would I need to do. I really do not want to go and tear out / apart the engine and put in spacers, rods, pistons, etc... if I don't have to. I know that some say that it's better to be safe than sorry, and I would need to do this for a Stage II setup, but I don't see it as being necessary for what i am trying to accomplish.

I am looking forward to any and all guidance that the turbo Gods here can offer! :bowdown:

BEFORE:

IMG_1632.jpg

have fun getting them injectors to idle right
the bazzaz and the pc wont pull enough fuel to get running right at idle
if you only want 300 hp then S2000 injectors will be fine

cdhoroho,

Would I have any issues using the S2000 injectors with the Bazzaz Z-F1 or PC? Would it be able to idle properly?

Thanks.

When Pinky talks people listen...lol. Seriously though he's right about idol and low rpm tuning with big injectors. Robhrzic your not all that far from Horoho racing{chris}I'd have him work on my turbo bikes.

My 62lb injectors idle like stock,hmmm...

Honestly without any internal motor work wanting 300hp from a stock motor,we'll soon be reading about your melted motor..Find a good source and stick with them,from start to finish that way each issue can be resolved quickly cause if you deal with 50 people the first one will have no clue what you did listening to the other 49...Good Luck On your build...

Last edited:
Hello All,

I am about ready to pull the trigger, and finally get a turbo for my '03 Busa. I'd like to do this as a winter project, and since I am a turbo noob, I am gonna' need some help and guidance.

I plan on getting the following:

RCC Stage 1 kit
Tial 50 mm BOV
MPS 62# (650 cc/min.) Injectors
Billet Fuel Rail
Bazzaz Z-F1 Control Unit
Bazzaz Z-AFM kit - allows for self tuning
Heavy Duty Clutch Springs
Billet Clutch Slave Support
Brock's Ultra Clutch Mod
Brock's Clutch Cushion
Cycle-Tek CO2 Shifter with Launch Limiter and Autoshift option
2" lower front/rear
17/43 sprockets

My goals: 275 to 300 HP on dyno using octane booster or (110 octane CAM2) race gas (8-9 psi boost?), 1/4 mile in the 8's (260 lb. rider, stock wheelbase), Bike will be used 80/20, street/strip. I do not want to get a Stage II kit at this moment, but that may be an option in the future if the need arises. :laugh:

I would really like to do the install myself, but have never attempted anything such as this on a motorcycle, though I do have some experience with centrifugal superchargers and 5.0 liter Mustangs. Here come the questions:

Are there any reputable turbo gurus / builders / tuners in the Cleveland, OH area? I'd like to have someone (locally) to go to if I get stuck, and I will obviously need a proper dyno tune upon completion? I would also like to get a "before" dyno sheet, this fall, so that I can compare numbers to the "after" in the spring.

Does anyone have any experience tuning a turbo setup with the Bazzaz Z-F1 / Z-AFM combination? Pros and cons? I really like the idea of having a closed loop self-tuning system. I currently have a PCIIIr installed now, but I would like to "upgrade" when I go the turbo route. Is it possible to just plug in A/F ratios required and let the Z-F1 make the changes, or would I need to load a "base map" and go from there?

Would the MPS 62# injectors and Billet fuel rail be enough to safely get to the (approximately) 300 HP level, without maxing out the duty cycle time of the injectors?

If this combination would not be adequate for producing the kind of HP that I am talking about, then what else would I need to do. I really do not want to go and tear out / apart the engine and put in spacers, rods, pistons, etc... if I don't have to. I know that some say that it's better to be safe than sorry, and I would need to do this for a Stage II setup, but I don't see it as being necessary for what i am trying to accomplish.

I am looking forward to any and all guidance that the turbo Gods here can offer! :bowdown:

BEFORE:

It can be done with the 65lb injectors, but I would recommend just using ECU editor, and instead of an FMU in a stage one kit use a 1:1 reg. it will work fine, self tune with the bazazz will not get you anything in return on a turbo bike. 300hp on a stock motor is definitely pushing it, if you lower the compression you would get away with it, but I would not recommend going over 7 psi on a stock engine,

Richard

How many miles on that '03 ? The Gen I motor is suppose to be good up to 300 RWHP, but that's the upper limit and reliability will be down like Daniel says. Not a guru, but I'm thinking it will be hard to get those ponies with a stage I turbo. You might also want to get the tranny beefed up if you gor ahead with that 300 RWHP build and decide to get the internals beefed up.

the problem with ecu editor is it isnt complete on the boost compensated fueling quite yet (for Gen 1)
if you add a spacer you can make low 300s but as others have said you are pushing the limit of an fmu on much over 7 lbs

I am one to prefer stage 2 setups (secondaries) (at this time until the boost compensated fueling is finished for gen 1)

and remember daniel not everyone has the availability of the dyno or the availability of your knowledge (as well as other good tuners) to get 62 pound injectors to run right at idle also you start lowering FP at some point for these controllers that cant remove the fueling right and it then doesnt atomize quite right

granted i have 1000cc injectors for my prostreet and we plan on getting it to run right but we have a standalone for it not a bazzaz or PC

I was not referring to any boost compensated fueling, you could take a stage 1 kit with larger primary injectors with a 1:1 reg and tune it for a specific amount of boost with ECU editor, similar to what we use a power commander for or the Bazazz box.

Pinky you should have no trouble with the 1000cc injectors, I use 1000 cc low impedance injectors in my Prostreet bike with 43 psi static fuel presssure, idles smooth as glass, and throttle response is crisper then factory.

Richard

I just want to ad is that RCC kits are detailed VERY sppeciFic and VERY high quality.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes the ecu can be tuned much better then any of the addon controllers
I thought you were referring to the boost compensated fueling

you should ship me that yoshi system you have, for 10 bucks. since you're bad a$$ and are going turbo and all...

Thanks guys,bought it new in '03(after getting ran over on my new '02 which got totaled...and which almost totaled me also)and have been fooling around with/adding to it ever since.Just had the engine completely rebuilt a couple months ago and still havin' a good time for an old geezer(56 last June).:thumbsup:

I was not referring to any boost compensated fueling, you could take a stage 1 kit with larger primary injectors with a 1:1 reg and tune it for a specific amount of boost with ECU editor, similar to what we use a power commander for or the Bazazz box.

Pinky you should have no trouble with the 1000cc injectors, I use 1000 cc low impedance injectors in my Prostreet bike with 43 psi static fuel presssure, idles smooth as glass, and throttle response is crisper then factory.

Richard

But you got a Motec :poke: ,lol.j/k....Richard your work and bike is Impressive,I'm glad to know you..I hope to one day have the amount of knowledge you have forgotten and aquire what you remember..

Last edited:
Back