Winter Busa Hibernation

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
:sad:

With the proper attire, I have been able to lengthen my riding season in Chicago by a lot. But eventually, I will have to put her away until March or April. Hopefully I can ride in October...although the weather is terrible in Chitown.(insurance prohibits riding in Dec thru February).

Do you guys really put STABIL in a Busa? No ill effects? No ill effects on fuel injection system? Do you fill the tank with gas and add a bottle of STABIL or what?

Oil.....I read somewhere you fill up the ENTIRE crankcase until it overflows out of the filling hole and then drain it and refill with fresh oil (to the normal level) when you are ready to go in the spring

Battery.....do you remove and keep on a charger? Or leave it in and charge it in the spring? I would think the cold weather would kill it. Or do I buy a new one in the spring?

Please help....never had a high performance bike like this before....and don't want it ruined by the cold weather.

I would love to know as well... Anyone? I have the owners manual and such, but it doesn't say a lot about storage if I remember correctly...

Anyone use something like duralub for cars in their bikes to keep the oil from fully draining to the bottom of the engine? Most engine wear done on the start and I know that raw metal thing in the spring couldn't be good...

Cloud

I dont know for sure about what to do to the motor for winterization. Make sure antifrreze protection is good to 35 to 40 below 0. Cylinder walls need to be protected with some kind of oil but I am not sure how to do this. I use a product called Sea Foam as a fuel stablizer in my boat and have used it for years with no problem. Stabil will also work. I use fogging oil to protect cylinder walls and crankshaft on the outboard motor its easy to do on an outboard.I think you could do the same thing to your Busa if you take out the air box and spray through each throttle body with the motor running.
I can tell you that you should take the battery out. There can be a draw on the battery causing it to go dead over time and then it can freeze and crack the case then leak acid all over.You still need to keep it fully charged even if its out. There are small chargers that will keep it up and not over charge it.
I need to do this stuff to mine also so I need ideas on this too.

I have a program that takes care of Busas during the winter for no charge. You just get the bike to me and I'll take good care of it and make sure it gets run regularly. I promise to keep the mileage below 5,000 too:)

:sad: This has got to be the most depressing topic I have ever read!!! Texas, ride year around! No need to but the busa down for the winter. I'd consider relocating, tell the busa you are moving south dude it should but a smile on her nose. Sorry, this was not much help, but it sure cheered me right up. :D

OK all you Northern Folks Listen up.  Crate your babies up and ship them to me.  I'll make certain that they are run at least once a week.  Kept topped off with fuel and are kept in good working order.  Come spring thaw, I'll ship them right back.
 Oh, best part, you ship me your ride, I'll take care of it for free and then you all can take a little vacation in January or so, come on down and have your pride and joy waiting and ready to go.    Really I will do this for you...  :D   :D
 Any takers?:super:

Keep in mind this is what I do. Just my personal opinion.

I never put away the bike for the season. I change the oil, even if there is only 1000 miles on it. I start her every week, sometimes twice a week. I keep the battery close to a charger. Every couple of weeks, roads providing, I ride her around the block. If I need gas, I fill up the gas can and bring it home. I have allways done this. Even when I lived in up state NY. (25 miles south of Canada and 12 from lake Ontario.) So I know what it's like to be a member of the frozen chosen. This is also the time when I do any mods that I am planning.

Hope it helps,

Steve

for all you sunny sate dewlers. thanks for reminding us how much we want to move to your neck of the woods. maybe with you reminding us how much cold sucks we will finally get the gounads to move!!!!!
get a few miles and a wheelie or two in for me this winter.
;)

Here in CO, the sand the snow trucks throw down for the snow and such make riding a dangerous game even with no water. The roads really don't start clearing considerbly until April or even May at times...

Safety courses tell you this here in CO...

I don't mind putting her away to be honest... I realize that everytime I get on it, I may not walk away. At least for peace of mind, I am living until next spring... :) May be a real poor way to look at it, but it keeps me thinking (most of the time.)

since no one really has any good advice for us, I will look this up in the manual and post if you like?

Cloud

Sheesh you guys! Give the Northern guys a break!
I went to this website and found the "how-to" of winterizing your bike. Doesn't seem to be very complicated.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/howtowinter/

I really do feel for the Frozen Few that can't ride for months during the winter. :sad: We'll take pics and tell lies, I mean, stories to keep you in the loop. Don't be a stranger in the winter.

I more thing, the Motorcyclistonline.com site has a ton of stuff in the "how-to" dept. Setting suspension, adjusting, and replacing this and that. Check it out.

Hey I remember the winter, park her and stare days...

One thing I can recommend is get your rides off the floor and on some good quality stands.   I do not think that flat spotting is too much of a concern with modern rubber, but it also provides a real stable way to store them, makes it hard to knock em over...

Or ship them down here and I'll look after em'.

I've used Stabil for several years and never had a problem with it or my gas going bad, so I'm a believer. I hook the battery up to a "Battery Tender" to maintain a charge. As for the oil I've never done anything special, but I do try to run the bike at least every two weeks, and when its nice out I'll take it for a short hop just to blow the exhaust out.

Hey there babuski,
I guess we're practically neighbors here. Yes, we have been shat upon this year it seems. Went from hot to cold within a couple days, but still hoping for a couple nice days to take a ride.
As for the storage, I think it depends on the conditions. If you have a semi heated garagage like I do, I don't think you need to do much but start it up every few weeks and let it warm up good. I've had other bikes that seem to do well that way.
If it's an unheated garage, I'd probably at least put a battery tender on it or bring the battery in. Personally, I doubt that a few months is enough time for the gasoline to go stale. Just my opinion. It'd be good to run into you this spring for a ride. :)

this part of the year makes me angry also. Here in upstate ny it's only about 40* right now! I don't mind riding in the cold but once that dang salt on the road gets down that's it for me! the stuff is like ice...  :eek:  

Trust me I wont be a stranger to the board I'm going to give my bus a little steroids  In the form of a Velocity turbo :super:  :thumbsup:  

But all i can say is I can't thank everyone on this board enough for all there help this summer with my new baby  

And can't wait for this winter to here about all you folks in warmer climates riding and pics along with the new people to the board!!

:sad:
Sad in NY,
Marcus
I guess I'll be riding other toys, the banshee that is

Banshee_front_left.JPG

Ride bike until almost out of fuel, Then refill with fresh gas/mixing in proper amount of Fuel Stabilizer! Top off completely....... Don't want air in the tank, could cause condensation.
Fill tires with proper amount of air, put on stand (front/rear).
Oil chain, with whatever your personel pref is....
lube cables with graphite lube.
remove battery (or leave) your choice! Go to Harbor Freight and buy a battery tender. This will prevent the battery from being over charged. Cost less than $12..... hook up to battery!
LIGHTLY, spray down metal on engine with WD-40. Wipe off excess.....
Check engine coolant level and test for level of protection! $2 testor......
Next, only for the die hard. Remove spark plugs (gain access first!) Measure and pour approx. 1 teaspoonfull of engine oil into each cylinder through the spark plug hole. Now, without reinstalling the plugs hold your hand over the open holes and bump the engine over. Do Not use a rag or anything remotely similar (They can get sucked into the motor!)
Next, put brand new plugs back in (pre-gapped) reinstalling everything!
Cover your baby and wait for the new year!.................
This is just how I have being doing this for the last twenty years and works for me! You can modify by adding to or taking away from this procedure anyway You feel necessary.
KS

:) :)

Back