Wing damage

bigoltool

Registered
I was detailing my bike a few weeks ago while I had the rims off it and noticed that my underbelly cowling (the little wing in front of the rear wheel) was literally ravaged by the blast from the front wheel. I took it off and stared in horror at the carnage. Our roads are so lousy that it looks like you bead blasted the thing with #4 buckshot. I made a feable attempt to touch up some of the smaller ones with my new Color-rite (color-wrong!) pen. Wasn't even close so I stopped. Anybody else suffering with this? Anybody got any creative ways to counter the damage short of taking the wing off? I was going to try and find some of the 3M paint protection film but the damage is already done. I have the Tankslapper kit on the nose of the fairing so it is in better shape but this just sucks! Not really ready to pimp it out and buy one of those Stainless steel or Aluminum ones.

Can't help but damage the wing if the bike is ridden. All of us have the same thing. I just don't worry about it because it can't be seen by most everyone anyway. Unless someone is down under the bike no worries.  
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150486746 -->

It gets pretty nasty under there. I hate to see it on mine, but not much you can do about it.

+1 even if you replace it the same thing will happen.

Think about it this way, for anyone else to see it that bike will be in a far worse situation (upside down)

I was thinking about maybe fabricating some sort of little armored air damn/rock/bug guard in front of the thing.

Some cat, who I know with a busa, gave me one of those alumunum wings with the busa emblem on the sides. He had it painted black, but he wasn't satisfied with the look, I took it, and polished the outside, then I painted the inside satin black, turned out real nice. The busa emblems show up nice with the black insides. And it's easier to take care of. Tom 2000 red/silver

Take it off and put a center stand on it.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

If it's really a problem for you, just respray it and then get clear-bra put over the entire piece. You won't even be able to see it, and it should protect from road rash pretty well. I was going to do that pretty soon.

ok find some 3m clear vinyl cut you some out and away you go then it will tear the vinyl up and not anything else

Just remove it. The busa looks better without it anyways.

Mine is missing about 60% of the paint.. I am thinking I will strip the rest off & buy a can of black spray-in truck bed liner from WallyWorld and have a go at it. I have used the stuff on some Jeep parts and it seems to hold up really well to abuse.
biggrin.gif

Go to your local M/C that sells dirt bike and ask for the clear vinly sheets that goes over the number plates.  The shid can be pretty tough to work with cuz its kinda thick. Using a heat gun will help conform it to irregular surfaces.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152326755 -->

I was detailing my bike a few weeks ago while I had the rims off it and noticed that my underbelly cowling (the little wing in front of the rear wheel) was literally ravaged by the blast from the front wheel. I took it off and stared in horror at the carnage. Our roads are so lousy that it looks like you bead blasted the thing with #4 buckshot. I made a feable attempt to touch up some of the smaller ones with my new Color-rite (color-wrong!) pen. Wasn't even close so I stopped. Anybody else suffering with this? Anybody got any creative ways to counter the damage short of taking the wing off? I was going to try and find some of the 3M paint protection film but the damage is already done. I have the Tankslapper kit on the nose of the fairing so it is in better shape but this just sucks! Not really ready to pimp it out and buy one of those Stainless steel or Aluminum ones.
The fairing(the front/center,under the oil cooler) gets its fair share of dings too.Where the front tire constantly sprays rain,rocks,dust,road debris.

Rubb.

Back