Windshield Statute Question?

GNBRETT

Registered
been lookn for quite some time to ascertain what the nationally accepted standard is for a windshield that exempts you from wearing eye protection. im sure not every state has this exception but here in Connecticut this is what the statute reads.....

Sec. 14-289d. Vision-protecting devices for motorcyclists. (a) The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles shall issue regulations, in accordance with nationally accepted standards, concerning specifications for vision-protecting devices, including but not limited to goggles, glasses, face shields, windshields and wind screens for use by operators of motorcycles.
(b) Failure to wear either goggles, glasses or a face shield of a type which conforms to the minimum specifications as called for by such regulations shall be an infraction. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to operators of motorcycles equipped with a wind screen or windshield which conforms to the minimum specifications called for by such regulations.

I wear a helmet all the time so it doesnt really matter to me personally but someone asked me this question at work a while ago and I cant seem to find what the nationally accepted standard actually is that would exempt someone from wearing eye protection.

im sure most Harley windshields meet this standard but what is the actual standard? like what is the required height or demensions? anyone have a link?

if its a nationally accepted standard then it should be standard in every state with this exception.

I think here in Va you have to ware protection unless you have a full face. If they catch you riding with you shield up and no glasses you will get a ticket. I would not want to ride with out any myself

There is NO nationally accepted standard as each states decide their own regulations not the feds as it should be.
Example- Here in Wisconsin as long as the windshield is 18" taller than the bars you don't need glasses/goggles.
Florida it doesn't matter how tall the windshield is you have to wear eye protection. I found out the hard way at bike week one year.
Just like helmet laws. They vary state to state.

Hope this helps

Part of the reason the law is written this way is because they do not want to endorse or dictate a specific safety item because then the state can be held accountable for injuries sustained. That is why most states that have a helmet law state a DOT certified helmet. That puts it back on the Feds.
Before Michigan repealed its helmet law, many tickets were fought and won because of the way the law was written. It stated a helemt approved by the state patrol and the state patrol refused to approve any for liability reasons. So technically there was know way to be in compliance with the law in Michigan.

There is NO nationally accepted standard as each states decide their own regulations not the feds as it should be.
Example- Here in Wisconsin as long as the windshield is 18" taller than the bars you don't need glasses/goggles.
Florida it doesn't matter how tall the windshield is you have to wear eye protection. I found out the hard way at bike week one year.
Just like helmet laws. They vary state to state.

Hope this helps

Part of the reason the law is written this way is because they do not want to endorse or dictate a specific safety item because then the state can be held accountable for injuries sustained. That is why most states that have a helmet law state a DOT certified helmet. That puts it back on the Feds.
Before Michigan repealed its helmet law, many tickets were fought and won because of the way the law was written. It stated a helemt approved by the state patrol and the state patrol refused to approve any for liability reasons. So technically there was know way to be in compliance with the law in Michigan.
well the statute here in Connecticut says "Nationally accepted standards". it would make no sense to guage what Connecticuts statute is when comparing it to another states standard.

thats no diferent then saying ur window tint must meet a nationally accepted standard. each state has its own window tinting laws and what is acceptable. here in Connecticut its 35% + or - 3%. it doesnt refer to a nationally accepted standard to what is an acceptable tint or not.

if Connecticut was going to use a specific standard then the demension would be listed in the statute.

just the same for what is an acceptable handle bar height for a motorcycle here in Connecticut. it states "Connecticut law prohibits a motorcycle from having handlebars that are higher than 15 inches above the uppermost portion of the seat when it is depressed by the weight of the operator". again specific demension.

Connecticut doesnt state a height of 18 inches taller then the handle bars like it does in Wisconsin for a windshield height. it simply states "Nationally accepted standards". if each state is different then it would make no sense to specify a nationally accepted standard.

You need to focus on your state's regulations, rather than the national standards (from your quote: "The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles shall issue regulations, in accordance with nationally accepted standards ...."). These look to be the DMV's regulations; maybe you'll find it there: DMV: Regulations

Quoting Lurch here" Florida it doesn't matter how tall the windshield is you have to wear eye protection. I found out the hard way at bike week one year."

I was probably at that same bikweek.....lol.

I got hit with a ticket for this. I was going about 4 M.P.H. at Bikeweek. Was about to cut through a barricaded side street to park. (Along with about 200 other bikes already parked there). I didn't have on any eye wear. Officer Fife who was on a peddle bike (not joking), pulled me over and was going to cite me for improper turn onto wrong way street. We had our roadside discussion about that. So instead he cited me lack of proper eye wear instead.

Took him to court.

In Fla. the statute states what is considered proper eye wear. In that, it states that a windshield is considered proper eye wear if the height of the windshield on the vehicle is 2 inches above the level of the head of the operator. In this instance the operator my wear other eye wear optionally.

Officer Fife apparently didn't read that part of the statute that day in class.

Took pictures of me sitting on the bike. Also took the bike to court, as in drove it. Was prepared to go to parking lot if the judge was willing. Pictures were sufficient. Case dismissed.

So in Fla the answer is 2 inches above head height of operator.

seems to me its a complete wast of time to even think about it, why the hell would you ride with out some shades or safety glasses any way? thats just plan dumb azz!:poke:

well the statute here in Connecticut says "Nationally accepted standards". it would make no sense to guage what Connecticuts statute is when comparing it to another states standard.

thats no diferent then saying ur window tint must meet a nationally accepted standard. each state has its own window tinting laws and what is acceptable. here in Connecticut its 35% + or - 3%. it doesnt refer to a nationally accepted standard to what is an acceptable tint or not.

if Connecticut was going to use a specific standard then the demension would be listed in the statute.

just the same for what is an acceptable handle bar height for a motorcycle here in Connecticut. it states "Connecticut law prohibits a motorcycle from having handlebars that are higher than 15 inches above the uppermost portion of the seat when it is depressed by the weight of the operator". again specific demension.

Connecticut doesnt state a height of 18 inches taller then the handle bars like it does in Wisconsin for a windshield height. it simply states "Nationally accepted standards". if each state is different then it would make no sense to specify a nationally accepted standard.
Again, you make my point. THERE IS NO NATIONALLY ACCEPTED STANDARD!. The reason they refer to such standard is because they do not want the liability. And since there is no standard technically it in not enforcable. They can refer to any standard they want, even if it does not exist. Now if they refered to a specific nation standard such as CFR 19 section xxx.xx Then that is a different story. They need to define which national standard they wish to follow and since there IS NO NATIONAL STANDARD they can't refer to the one they want to follow.

Does this make any sense?

Best bet is to contact an Attorney who deals in this type of thing. I am sure there is court presedence set somewhere in Conn.

Again, you make my point. THERE IS NO NATIONALLY ACCEPTED STANDARD!. The reason they refer to such standard is because they do not want the liability. And since there is no standard technically it in not enforcable. They can refer to any standard they want, even if it does not exist. Now if they refered to a specific nation standard such as CFR 19 section xxx.xx Then that is a different story. They need to define which national standard they wish to follow and since there IS NO NATIONAL STANDARD they can't refer to the one they want to follow.
maybe thats true. I really dont know.

id be willing to bet there is some sort of standard they are guaging the statute by. otherwise put a demension on it like FL has with being 2 inches above height of operator or something. I have a windshield but it does nothing to prevent debris from striking me in the face. the wind may be deflected some what over my head being a DB shield but hardly protects my face like a big HD shield or similar.

gonna hav to do some more research I guess.

Here in Fl you have to wear eye protection at all times even stopped at a light. You raise your visor on your full face here with no glasses on and you can be cited.

No kind of windshield on the motorcycle will exempt you from it...

seems to me its a complete wast of time to even think about it, why the hell would you ride with out some shades or safety glasses any way? thats just plan dumb azz!:poke:

While I would generally express this with a bit more diplomacy, I agree. The number of times that I've rec'd eye destroying hits from random bugs and debris right on my face shield, I see no reason to consider riding with bare eyes anymore than I would consider riding bare assed. :beerchug:

Don't get the wrong idea. If you have ever gone to Daytona Bikeweek, once there in the middle of it, you rarely get out of fisrt gear. When its hot and the sweat is gonna flow and collect in your glasses, its not uncommon to get as minimal as you can. I was simply trying to park the bike off the main street that had about 10,000 bikes going less than walking speed riding with me.

I wear a full face helmet, except in conditions described above. No condoning lack of use, just discussing windshields as eyewear.

Back