windscreen removal

Just got a new windscreen . Pulled the 2 allen screws and washers from the outside of the screen/fairing. Stock wont come out. There is a rubber gromet on the inside of the screwhole in the screen/fairing. Looking at the blowup on cd I cant figure out if there are any others or what is holding it on. The rubber gromets? Are these pulled? I dont want to break anything. Im notorious for over torking / breaking things. --see me--

ya, you have to pull the rubber things out. They are a pain to get back into the new screen but you have to pull them out to get the new one in.

I encountered this same question when I put my PUIG double bubble on.

its easy to get them back in, just start the screw in them (off the bike / windscreen) and once the new shield is in place, put your allen wrench in the screw and apply just enough pressure to it, and it will push through. you will have to hold the shield to the fairing tho.
all_coholic.gif

put a little windex on the rubbers,it will slide through easier,and will evaporate quickly enough

i also use windex when mounting tires,for the same reason

The easiest way that I've found to pull them out is to pop the rivet on the inner panels. This will allow you to pull the inner away from the cowl and you can get your hand in there. Just grab a hold of the rubber grommet and pull (toward the center of the bike)...it will come right out.

Then, follow BAB03's advice to reinstall - just start the screw and push in with the allen wrench. When you're all finished, just pop the rivets back in place.

(thismonsterlives @ Sep. 29 2006,15:19) don't forget to do the electrical tape mod while you have it apart
as in putting electrical tape along the outline of the windscreen?
this is something I haven't done
purpose? reduce vibration?

It will get rid of the vibration all together. Stock will produce a rattle sound because at the middle of the windscreen closest to the headlight, it has a lot of play. Camaroguy showed me, just tap your windscreen at the middle and you will see and hear the rattle. Now put tape there and do it again.

(Youkai @ Sep. 29 2006,16:11) It will get rid of the vibration all together.  Stock will produce a rattle sound because at the middle of the windscreen closest to the headlight, it has a lot of play.  Camaroguy showed me, just tap your windscreen at the middle and you will see and hear the rattle.  Now put tape there and do it again.
ahh
thank you for the info

bike is apart right now
but got a couple Puigs & a Speedscreen to mount soon enough

gave my stock to a fallen rider...

(chevelle @ Sep. 29 2006,11:54) put a little windex on the rubbers,it will slide through easier,and will evaporate quickly enough

i also use windex when mounting tires,for the same reason
This is an old post but never the less a very helpful one... it always impresses me the info that can be found when doing a search. I just installed a new ZG DB today and had no issues after reading the experiences of others.... thanks to the ORG and its members...
beerchug.gif

Pull the rubber grommets out from the inside. It's a bit easier thatway.

Then when you put them in, lube'em up alittle.

Back