windscreen mounted GPS

kairles

Donating Member
Registered
well I bought a nextar W3 gps a couple days ago and it came with the standard suction cup style mount and I just wanted to know how they hold up? I put it on the windscreen and it seems to be pretty sturdy, and it can't just be pulled off. I've had a 1lb weight on it for about a day and has yet to fall off.  now I just need to go for a ride to see if can jar it loose.

heres the gps mounted

heres the 1lb weight on it thats been sittin on it since yesterday.

and the suction cup mount

WOW I would never trust my investment on a windshield mount, on a motorcycle. So many other ways to secure it for around 20-30$. I myself use a clutch slave mount, a stem mount is what I may do in the future. Reguardless on how your test does, I hope you reconsider securing your GPS system.

It's not the weight that's the problem, it's the vibration during travel that will dislocate the unit, if it happens. Please do a report AFTER about 1,000 miles of combined low speed street and high speed hwy travel. That will be the test  
beerchug.gif

DaCol.- I know but the 1lb weight is almost twice the weight as the gps, and if it can hold that Im hoping it can hold 1/2 bouncing around. I plan to take a ride tommarrow with the weight ziptied to the mount.

I've been looking for mounts just can't seem to find any. all the one's I've found where model specific(GPS model) and the one I have is not commom so I have yet to find one. also I haven't seen any universal mounts. If anyone knows where I could find one let me know.

(kairles @ Feb. 22 2007,22:10) DaCol.- I know but the 1lb weight is almost twice the weight as the gps, and if it can hold that Im hoping it can hold 1/2 bouncing around. I plan to take a ride tommarrow with the weight ziptied to the mount.

I've been looking for mounts just can't seem to find any. all the one's I've found where model specific(GPS model) and the one I have is not commom so I have yet to find one. also I haven't seen any universal mounts. If anyone knows where I could find one let me know.
When/if that weight and mount falls off its prolly not gonna do your tank any favors
wow.gif
I never trust anything to suction cups......besides you don't wanna be riding around worrying about it coming loose....thats a real buzz kill
wink.gif

Back