Wind!

I have a firstgear Kenya jacket and I really notice the buffeting and wind when I wear that thing in the winter. It's looser than my other coats. It's kinda like a ski jacket; just a little tighter. But wow does it move you around when you get going. How is your jacket? loose? What kind are you wearing?

I don't have a riding jacket yet. But I'm getting a Joe Rocket one soon.

So here's a big monkeywrench...

I had never had a problem with my stock screen other than it just being a gigantic POS. I ordered a SportTech double bubble and I was getting blown around like a friggin ragdoll. The screen was directing the wind and blasting me in my face like a ram. So I ordered a stock height Memphis Shade... never have a problem.

BTW... I'm 6'2" / 225'ish.

Just my .02

-G

I'm sure many of you have seen this video about the busa... but it shows how the bike was meant to be ridden. So maybe the busa just ain't a great bike when riding straight up (most comfortable) because of the low screen...

I always adjust my riding position based on the speed I want to hit. I ride straight up 0-80 and then always tuck down with my helmet pretty much planted on the tank for quick shots that will rocket me down the road. I just hate the fact that I have to look out for cops every time I launch it! But the other day I passed a leo going way over the limit and he didn't even care.... was probably on his way to lunch or something.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this topic, even though I'm still confused about which double B is the best one for me!!! LOL!!! I might just go for the Puig touring screen... but tomorrow is another day and I might change my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure many of you have seen this video about the busa... but it shows how the bike was meant to be ridden. So maybe the busa just ain't a great bike when riding straight up (most comfortable) because of the low screen...

I always adjust my riding position based on the speed I want to hit. I ride straight up 0-80 and then always tuck down with my helmet pretty much planted on the tank for quick shots that will rocket me down the road. I just hate the fact that I have to look out for cops every time I launch it! But the other day I passed a leo going way over the limit and he didn't even care.... was probably on his way to lunch or something.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this topic, even though I'm still confused about which double B is the best one for me!!! LOL!!! I might just go for the Puig touring screen... but tomorrow is another day and I might change my mind.
cool find on the video

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to do the kickstand mod. It helps circulate the wind up under your frame better........
laugh.gif

pan, also consider a leather jacket. they are more forgiving at highway speeds and provide a solid fit w/ less air flow. just my opinion!

It really does depend on the wind direction and conditions.
I have done 160 or so and felt very stable.you may need to ditch the stock windscreen,it also depends on how much you tuck.
The other thing I found is when I do wear my Fieldsheer leather,(shame on me for not all the time) I do seem to get blown around a bit more......
I agree that the wind direction makes all the difference. If its to the front or back, it's not a problem. But, from the side, the Bus, with its solid body, becomes particularly vulnerable. And it doesn't just feel strange--there was a guy hit by a wind gust at Maxton (or maybe it was the Texas mile) who fell at a speed in excess of 200 mph.

I find wind gusts unnerving. If the wind is bad, I'll just pack it up for another day. I find myself wondering what effect wind has on MotoGP riders.

Although I'm looking at possibly getting a Puig, I've been informed (Rev) that the ZeroGravity DB is of better quality.

I still have stock so can anyone else chime in...or maybe I'll just start a friggin' poll.
I have a ZG DB. If you are looking to block wind from your face, you'll be disappointed. It just makes the wind arch over you better when you are hunkered down.

For side gusts, I have found no difference in windshield or riding posture that is noticeable.

hmmmmmm....i can sit upright on the bike, cruising @120...done so in 18-20mph winds with just throttle hand on bars, so?
rock.gif
dont know why its so hard to control bike? were you carrying something on the back? puttin stuff on back makes bike's azz drag more, and yeah stock screen blows chunks-i use Zero Gravity DB...on my 3rd one now (they break when you fall down go boom
sad.gif
) but i still swear by it.
dunno what yer health situation is like-but hitn the weights for upper body (shoulders, traps, deltoids, bi/triceps, forearms, upper/lower back) once/twice a week should make controlling the bike a lil easier. I rode from Racine WI to Milw with a buddy who's 5'8" n bout 170lb on his ZX-12R-we cruised almost the whole way (50-odd miles) upright, right hand only, left leaning on tank, at 100+....wearing jackets n lids. U just gotta get used to the drag and find a position your comfortable in.
wink.gif

Yeah, I was conserned about this "blowing around" as well. Apparently it's because the Hayabusa is designed to be aerodynamic at high speeds and has much more faring than other bikes, so if there is any wind not blowing straight on, you feel it as a squirrly sensation like you bike is blowing over.

The worst part is that it's very unpredictable (it's different everytime, doesn't seem to matter if wind is going in a partiqular direction or not), making you question your observations.

Good news is the busa is very stable, even though you may feel like you're going to blow over, you won't. I've personally been through side wind gusts of 60+ mph, pushing me across lanes leaning at a good angle to go straight and not lost traction.

Also, I can vouch for the freeway wind. I've hit big gusts while in the fast/HOV lanes and things like flags don't even budge on the other side off the free way. It's the cars traveling in the opposite direction that give you your gusts. Try switching from fast lane to slow lane on a windless day and you will see what I mean. Good luck.

I felt the wind blow me over too on the expressways. But then I thought - I am in the "Windy City" (Chicago) - What the heck...!!!
biggrin.gif

But glad to know that its not just me and not just the city
smile.gif

You didn’t mention the hump. Are you riding with or without it? It might be worth an experiment. I have the DB Sport touring screen, and no it will not part the red sea for you. I have considered going down to a Double Bubble just to get a bit more wind on my chest in traffic actually. I get a lot of buffeting in traffic at freeway speeds. This is just one more (like I needed another one) reason to stay off the freeway. I have heard good things about the laminar lip but you need to run the stock screen with them and then I can’t see the tops of my gauges.

Back