Will going up one tooth in the rear make any difference?

BUSANAS

Registered
Thinking my chain is getting a little stretched and worn, would increasing the rear a tooth or two make any difference in mid point acceleration?

One tooth wont make much difference but you do need to replace that chain too. You should be able to go +3 and still use a stock length chain.

I was thinking about a sprocket at the same time is why I asked, I just have never changed the size on any bike so didnt know if you would notice 1-2 tooth increase as far as accceleration, mpg, etc.

One tooth will make a difference, more acceleration and you will be able to feel it.

you should really swap the chain and do the front sprocket while your at it.
front sprocket (-1 = 15 tooth)

One tooth will make a difference, more acceleration and you will be able to feel it.

you should really swap the chain and do the front sprocket while your at it.
front sprocket (-1 = 15 tooth)

I am +3 and I can notice a little difference. I feel the biggest difference when engine braking.
I am still running my orginal front sprocket after inspecting it over the winter with 25k miles. Very little wear.

im just up 2 in the rear I have a 08 busa I still get close to 40 mpg and you can tell the difference over stock gearing

Go +3 rear.
It'll work with a stock length chain.
It'll make a noticeable improvement in acceleration and use of the power curve.
It'll slighty shorten the wheelbase.
It'll raise rpm's 400 to 600ish, not much.
If you're concerned about gas mileage, it's not much of a difference cruising. But, if you're concerned about gas mileage, it's not for you. It's for a more aggressive feeling(aka, more fun) bike.
+3, Do it!:beerchug:

If I'm not mistaken, -1 on the front equates to +3 on the rear, or vise versa, +1 in front will equal -3 on the rear. I did a -1 (went to a 16t) on the front last sprocket and chain swap and deffinatley felt the difference, quicker acceleration and she wants to stand up a little more. However, keep in mind that by changing the front sprocket you will also be changing the way your speedometer reads. I now have close to a 10% (to the slow side) error since I have not gotten a speedohealer yet. I dont believe changing the rear sprocket will effect your speed sensor, but I may be wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, -1 on the front equates to +3 on the rear, or vise versa, +1 in front will equal -3 on the rear. I did a -1 (went to a 16t) on the front last sprocket and chain swap and deffinatley felt the difference, quicker acceleration and she wants to stand up a little more. However, keep in mind that by changing the front sprocket you will also be changing the way your speedometer reads. I now have close to a 10% (to the slow side) error since I have not gotten a speedohealer yet. I dont believe changing the rear sprocket will effect your speed sensor, but I may be wrong.

Changing front or rear sprocket will effect the speedometer.
Stock speedometers are off around 7%, even with stock gearing.

I had +2 on the back of my Gen I, and although it made an improvement in acceleration below 100 mph, the trade off was that there was noticeably less acceleration at triple-digit speeds. Everything is a trade off, so I went back to stock gearing because I like how the Busa pulls at higher speeds.

Technically closer to 2.5 teeth but who has a 42.5 tooth front sprocket? :laugh:

Back