Will Fairing Screens Scratch Fairings?

Mythos

Registered
I have a nice set of orange fairing screens made by KKCProducts. The screens are constructed of light gauge steel mesh. They look great.

The two larger fairing holes have plastic that curves inward toward the engine. The mesh sure fits awful close there and that part of the fairing is black on my B/O 08 busa. Yes it is a rather hidden area of the fairing but any scratch would be most visible on black, as you can imagine.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with installing these screens and noticing damage to the paint finish of the fairings in those areas that curve inward?

Cool. Thank you for the response. The screens look very nice so I'd hate to have to leave them off the bike. I was thinking about getting some black vinyl film to put over the fairings where the screens seem as though they could touch. I have placed the screens and removed them several times to fit them perfectly. They have not left a single scratch from that so the screens touching the painted surface after installation is probably not an issue.

No I did not make these. They were very affordable on eBay from a seller called KKCPrducts. I think it was about $30, all painted and ready to go. The instructions with the screens says the screens were shaped on forms to fit busa fairings. They do seem to fit very nicely. That's the thing, They seem to fit so perfectly I was worried they might touch in those areas that the plastic curves in.
It looks really cool, though. I'm going to go for it....perhaps order some vinyl today if I get a chance but if not, the screens go in this weekend.

I was planning to use silicone to adhere them to the inside of the fairngs. Seems a good way to make them easy to remove.

mine have been on for 9 tears and I haven't noticed anything . Once you silicone them on they won't move or scratch. Make sure to use a high heat silicone

"Make sure to use a high heat silicone"
I think I saw some at Lowe's but I opted for the more expensive, all weather, interior/exterior silicone made by GE (General Electric).

I may go back and look for high temp but if I use the GE, it should come off pretty easy...if I want to replace it .....I think it will stick. These bikes actually run pretty cool.

I think I was worried that the high temp might be harder to remove??

Using high temp seems to be good common sense. have you had an experience with silicone letting go in the heat?

No its just what I used because when everyone started putting them on back in 02 some people were trying plastic glue guns and it was melting

Love to see pics when you do. I had them on my k1 for 9 years and the stuck well with clear silicone. No marring of the plastic because I seated them in a thick bead of silicone.

No its just what I used because when everyone started putting them on back in 02 some people were trying plastic glue guns and it was melting
ok, then it will be the GE all weather silicone.

Love to see pics when you do.
willdo.

I got the KKC grill inserts with the fine mess backing. came out great. i used a 2 part epoxy to attach them. Did have a question. bike is at the dealership now and the service department said that i should remove the fine mesh because of restricted airflow. any inputs?

Right Side Grill Inserts.jpg

Left Side Grill Inserts.jpg

I got the KKC grill inserts with the fine mess backing. came out great. i used a 2 part epoxy to attach them. Did have a question. bike is at the dealership now and the service department said that i should remove the fine mesh because of restricted airflow. any inputs?

Have you noticed any Addtl heat between your legs or has the temp gauge read higher than normal?
If not ignore dealer.

I have noticed no change in temp on gauge or legs. I was thinking the same thing, but just wanted a some seasoned opinions about if I should worry. I think they look good and don't notice any change so will keep them.

"fine mess" LOL:laugh: nice to have a sense of humor about our problems!

Fine mesh backing must be like a window screen? My KKC fairing mesh is just regular mesh. About 1/4' or 5/15" square or something like that. I have them installed with silicone and they look great. Need to do a little extra work on the busa and I will post some pics some day.....busy lately....and have second bike which does not encourage me to wrench in the last days of the season..

I have made and sold probably over 100 sets here on the Org. They go on the inside with epoxy. You have to be careful not to scratch your fairings on the outside when you take them off and lay them down to install the screens.

As for the heat, I have had them on every one of my Busas since 2002 and have never had a heat increase due the screens. Also, of all the people I sold them to no one came back and said they experienced a heat increase.

P.

Ive had these in for some time...still have not put fairings on the bike yet but will show pics when I do.

Word to the wise, Silicone IS removable but it is NOT easy to remove as peal off and toss aside. This is soft but very tough stuff.

Exactly! Perfect for screens. You would have to use a razor blade to remove the bead which isn't too bad.

Another here. Love 'em. I installed the raw ones on the '00. Easy to take off too.

On Gen-II, got them chromed, and the extra dollars for chrome are worth every penny.

Also sell 'em.

6821214019_fdb86e43a3_o.jpg

Dealer telling you to take them off is bunk.

Also 10 yrs of use here and no change in temp from snowing to 110 degrees.

6820942073_e4177d8a9c_o.jpg

Without:

6125441387_94bb9086d6_o.jpg

All ready to attach. One trick is, I used some woodworking clamps to hold them all in place while the glue dries. Just come dabs in the corners is all it takes.

7839598956_72d4a7bdb8_o.jpg

7839600778_4a1a754cce_o.jpg

Black is gone & all screens are on

7839601436_8b977544ef_o.jpg

All finished - look great ! Nice clean look.

7870399018_7bfbe68ac0_o.jpg

7873224800_f9b8926c9e_o.jpg

Looks so NICE....much cleaner and high tech with screens IN!

I have the Woodcraft stator cover shown in pashnit's pic above. Got that and Pazzos from him. Good supplier and good prices.

Back