will a power commander improve a stock bike?

sweet tea man

Registered
will a power commander or a cobra fi2000r improve hp or whatnot on a stock busa? i plan on adding a full exhaust....but it wont be until around tax time. just curious.

tre?

EDIT: just to add, i ordered one earlier b/c i had a gift certificate for Newenough.com. just wondering if it will benefit me at all or should i cancel the order and get some other stuff instead

No! If you are setting speed records, then put a 43 sprocket on the back and enjoy life

Last edited:
just looking to spend my gift certificate. thats all. i'll cancel monday morning when they open and get something different. thanks guys

what year bike? if you are going to add a full exhaust later, you might want to consider the PC.. (or have the stock ECU re-flashed).. not a fan of TRE's myself... but then again I do not recall the last time I had it cranked up against the limiter in high gear..

If you're getting a full exhaust I'd go ahead, and get it. But even after you get the exhaust, and the PC (PCIII USB, right ?), then you need to take it to a tuner that knows what they are doing (like Greg, member here, screen name GPW). And that's going to be anywhere from $200.00 - $400.00 on top of the cost of the PC. Or like said above after you get the full system you can just get the ECU flashed. (place around here charges like $45.00)

Last edited:
I would, knowing what I know in hindsight. I installed a pc and a tre,also pair mod, prior to going turbo(year later,knew I would need it).It really cleaned up the throttle response and my gas mileage increased dramatically.Better bike all around.This, with just the stock pc supplied map. I was dissapointed I had waited so long.I would not hesitate, esp. if you plan to do future mods, pipe, etc.:cheerleader::beerchug:
PS: my mechanic even commented on the change:thumbsup:

I put a PC on my stock 05. Horsepwer before the PC install was 156. Horsepower after the install was 152.

I have a Tsukigi cannon full system and for a little test, I disconnected my PCIII and the bike runs very smooth. I have tried at least 10 different maps and some of them are from very reputable people. I realize I may benefit from a custom tune, however the couple of horsepower I might gain from that isn't worth the expense to me (so far--ha ha). I was supposed to take the bike to the track this last weekend but didn't make it. I wanted to do back to back testing with and without the PCIII and different maps.

dump the power commander and get something else..so many used ones available no sense buying new.

For the $250++++ you saved there are much better mods available...

whats the saved amount? What do you use your bike for? We'll give ya ideas what to spend it on...

when you are ready to start tuning, I would recommend ECU flashing for 02-07 bikes, so much more you can do than a power commander for a lot less money
www.boostsbysmith.com/ecu.html

And forget about TRE's, with this you can get 5th gear timing values in all gear without messing up your gear based fueling :)

change timing
change fueling
increase rev limiters
remove 6th gear restriction at 186 mph
air shifter kill box
shift light output (shift light LED controlled by your stock ecu)
window switch for NOS activation (along with WOT switch as well)
map switching for both timing and fuel
and
and
and

DSC_0153.jpg

Last edited:
looking at maybe riding pants and boots to go with my new jacket.

got the wife a helmet this week and she fits in my old jacket(a year old nothing wrong with it) damn near perfect.

just ordered my joe rocket pants to match my JR jacket i got a couple weeks ago, along with riding boots, tank protector pad(destroyed it while taking it off prpping the tank for paint a few weeks ago), and new riding glasses:)

thanks guys

Back