will a gen1 rear brake caliper fit on a gen2?

sean06

Registered
I need to put a rear brake back on my bike but hate the gen2 setup, the caliper is soooo big! I want to run a gen1 underneath the swingarm. I have marchesini rear wheels, so I can run any rotor. Id just need to get the right rotor carrier. And Im running an adams arm. Is there a way to run the gen1 caliper without using a brake stay(not sure if thats the right name, Im talking about the bar that goes from the caliper to the swingarm.)

thanks for any help

I beliver it can be done. That's the only mount the guy I'm buying from has right now. I belive their is a brake tab though that gets rid of the stock mount for stretched bikes.
Posted via Mobile Device

You would have to weld a tab on the bottom of the swing arm for the brake rod.
Posted via Mobile Device

It can be done, here's a pic of it. I just need to know whats all needed

bikeparts073-1.jpg

thanks for the help matt:beerchug: Do you know if the rotors are the same size? and if the rear spacer that the caliper bolts to is the same size?

Dunno. You can talk to a vendor and see if the rotor are the same part # then buy the first gen caliper bracket rod etc and fit it would probably be the most reliable way to get you info since you need those parts anyway. Talk to goldenchild or ppm would be where I'd start.
Posted via Mobile Device

Couldnt I just weld a plate on the calipermount bracket that rides on the bottom of the swingarm. That would keep the caliper from rotating and I wouldnt have to run a brake stay.

I was thinking of welding a plate where I have made the red line. What do you guys think?

bikeparts073-1-1.jpg

Bc1LwBmkKGrHqMH-EUEquRH5VoBK0OiB-1.jpg

It is the same way adams mounts the caliper on the zx14 with thier arm. Like this. Does anyone make a bracket for the gen 1 that looks like this?

DSC02282.jpg

Couldnt I just weld a plate on the calipermount bracket that rides on the bottom of the swingarm. That would keep the caliper from rotating and I wouldnt have to run a brake stay.

I was thinking of welding a plate where I have made the red line. What do you guys think?

bikeparts073-1-1.jpg

Bc1LwBmkKGrHqMH-EUEquRH5VoBK0OiB-1.jpg

It is the same way adams mounts the caliper on the zx14 with thier arm. Like this. Does anyone make a bracket for the gen 1 that looks like this?

DSC02282.jpg

They make that cut part for stretch arms that the guy does NOT want the caliper arm. Instead fo welding you can get a stock hanger and cut it to fit your arm like said above but not weld it. Get longer bolts for the caliper....and just bolt it on with the cut hanger on the outerside. Seen it done before.

rear rotors on the bikes are:
gen 1 is 240mm
gen 2 is 260mm

keep that in mind..

Back