WILDLIFE- Birdstrikes at 180 MPH - smear on the windshield

fulltilt

Registered
Video Clip of the Week - FullTiltLife.com - Thank You

Animals and fast vehicles don't mix well. We've had critters stray onto the course before and usually manage to avoid any type of interaction. Scoping out the area helps, but those birds are hard to manage. They get sucked into jet engines, too, right?

In fact, two birds were harmed in the making of this movie. They were transformed in mid-flight to bloody smears in a fraction of a second. One played chicken with a Lamborghini and the other with a Supra - both at FullTilt speeds.

I was riding in the Supra when it hit the bird somewhere north of 150. Sounded like a baseball hitting the windshield - no damage besides the feathers and guts wedged into the rubber liner at the top of the glass.

Any other noteworthy animal/vehicle encounters?

While driving a company van I hit a pheasant doing 70mph. Then two summers ago I hit a opossum doing 55 to 60 on my busa. My girlfriend at the time and I both heard the back and ribs break.

Last edited:
I had a small owl dive bomb me and a buddy one night in the country... sumbeotch detonated on my helmet/shoulder/pants .... well pretty much it was a mess but at least I didnt have a body to dispose of :laugh:

I had a friend of mine that was riding his motorcycle behind an eightteen wheeler hauling livestock when he was spattered with cow dung. I guess that was the Cows last great act of defiance.:laugh:

Back in the early 80's I was driving to work in my '76 Mustang Cobra doing around 65 mph when out of the corner of my eye I saw a crow take off just off the left shoulder. I didn't pay any attention to it when WHAM, something big hits the driver side pillar, cracking the windshield and splattering my left arm with blood and guts. I looked in my rearview mirror to see whatever it was spinning in the road and the crow pouncing on it as soon it stopped. I spun the car around to check it out and found out what i'd hit. It was a damn turtle around 6 or 7 inches in diameter and I had opened it up for the frickin' crow to eat! I killed the original Flying Ninja Turtle! Smart birds!

A very real problem the Long Distance community out West frequently suffer are the dreaded Kamikaze Jackrabbits. Serious business.

I must have killed several dozen jackrabbits over the past decade, primarily in Oregon, Nevada and Utah. They wait on the side of the road, hypnotized/mesmerized by your HID headlights, and dash out at the last second to die under your wheels, or get sliced up by your bodywork.

Here is a fresh new bunny kill by a beemer dude on his way to the Start Line of the Utah 1088 Endurance Rally this past June... this is very common out in the Desert West:

P1000151.jpg

Silly rabbit.... your little hippity-hoppity days are OVER! :laugh:

P1000150.jpg

A very nice slicing job.... about another hour against that pipe, and that rabbit jerkey will be *done*! :rofl:

Just be careful of wild Turkeys. They are big enough to kill you, and OH YES they will fly straight at you. I missed one by about 3 inches. It scared the crap out of me.

One nite my wife and I were riding down a dark 4 lane hiway. Im in the right lane and a car was in the left, suddenly the driver pulls into my lane in front of me. I move to the left lane too pass, I see him slam on the brakes and pull over . I look up ahead and I see why he moved over, he hit a deer and its laying in the left lane. All i could do was tell my wife to hold on and I hit it straight on. I was ok but she bounced up off the rear seat while still holding onto me and came down,her right leg was the only thing that saved her from going down. she managed to hold onto me and get her butt back on the seat. I pulled over and we both broke into tears cuz we both almost lost it. This happened about 15 years ago on my 85 kawasaki gpz 750. It broke the both mirrors and the upper fairing and windshield from hitting it so hard.

pheasant doing 80mph, and stayed on the Busa, just :beerchug:

DSCN1401.JPG

A very real problem the Long Distance community out West frequently suffer are the dreaded Kamikaze Jackrabbits. Serious business.

I must have killed several dozen jackrabbits over the past decade, primarily in Oregon, Nevada and Utah. They wait on the side of the road, hypnotized/mesmerized by your HID headlights, and dash out at the last second to die under your wheels, or get sliced up by your bodywork.

Here is a fresh new bunny kill by a beemer dude on his way to the Start Line of the Utah 1088 Endurance Rally this past June... this is very common out in the Desert West:

P1000151.jpg

Silly rabbit.... your little hippity-hoppity days are OVER! :laugh:

P1000150.jpg

A very nice slicing job.... about another hour against that pipe, and that rabbit jerkey will be *done*! :rofl:

I thought Rabbit feet were suppose to bring good luck.:laugh:

Got my first Gloden Shower (and only one) while cruzing through Riverside behind a semi full of pigs. Also wacked a bird at 120 cruzing through Nevada, blood was allover my face shield. Just turned my head left and right and let the wind blow it off and never mised a beat:laugh:

Well so much for a lucky rabbits foot... he had four of them and look where it got him? :laugh:

Good reminder...

i've been very blessed on my busa. i have only had a couple of close calls (last time was with a bunch of fox pups), but on my old honda magna i clipped a yearling (deer). after a few miles down the road my legs started to hurt. that's when i realized that i was still squeezing the tank with everything i had. :laugh:

know some others that have had bad luck from armadillos, opossums, and turtles. :poke:

I hit a bird at about 100mph, cracked fairing and screen. Thought I broke my shoulder. Missed a buffalo by inches on Harley. I did nto see him, was told at the end of the ride what happened. I pooped myself when I was told. Other than that been safe riding.

Hit a dove w/ my right glove at 85. I don't know how he missed the front brake lever, but he exploded in a ball of feathers & blood.

Barely missed a 300#+ hog in the road a few weeks ago in the car.

I had an Emu walk out & stop in front of me last year while leading a ride w/ 10 bikes - Very big OH SH#@T moment.

Here's some shots of a beemer after it hit a deer at 140+ on the autobahn in Germany. The driver stopped and wondered where the deer went. Can't imagine hitting one at speed on the busa.

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    791.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 2.bmp
    791.1 KB · Views: 573
  • 3.bmp
    791.1 KB · Views: 446
  • 4.bmp
    791.1 KB · Views: 807
  • 5.bmp
    791.1 KB · Views: 412
Tennessee legislature recently enacted a law making it legal to harvest road kill for personal use.

I kid you not.

CW

Back