Wifes bike

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
its not a busa but i dont think the issue is a bike specific one.

My wifes katana died the other day doing dome twisties. she pulled it over and told me about it. she could not get it started to save her life. so i jump on and crank it right up. shift down into first and it dies. back in neutral, then crank it again. same thing. ok so i think that the clutch has got to be screwed. we look for anything obvious and cant find anything. so i try again. cranks right up and goes into gear no prob. goes for about a mile and in 5th gear, the bike dies again. same problem.

cant be that the clutch is worn too much because it isnt consistent (4 times in about 20 miles)

why would it die while already in gear and throttle opened, and then act like the clutch lever isnt working?? and only intermittently?

we bought this bike used and she has just aout 500 miles on it (10k when we bought it)

any ideas?

What year ???

They have been making Katana's for 30 years...what mods ??? ...what service work has been done ??? Anything since you got it ???

it dies in gear while rolling? will not be the clutch..

how does it die? kind of noses over? or just plain shuts off?

First thing I would be checking is fuel delivery (pop the fuel cap right after the thing dies too, make sure the tank is venting correctly and no vacuum in tank)

if you can get at the air box while the dying issue is present, shoot some carb cleaner down the throttle bodies and see if motor fires.. (just trying to find if it fuel or spark)

its an 06 katana.

it just plain cuts off. i didnt noticed that it dies until i twist the wrist and it doesnt go.

when i get home, ill drive it around and try to check the tank and plugs.

I personally dont think its fuel or spark because it will crank right back up after it dies IF you are in Neutral, but will die when you put it in gear. even coasting down the road at like 30mph. i know you can shift it without using the clutch so its not getting bogged down when it goes into gear...

scroll up to kickstand switch... only thing that is throwing me is that it would go a mile in gear.. but if it is dying right when put in gear? side stand switch..

Last edited:
I had a 636 that had a bad kickstand switch and it would run a while and then quit. You had to kick the kickstand a couple of times and it would pick back up and run a while. Crazy!

Back