Wife's bike in shop, can't believe this...

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Ok so the Mrs bought a 2007 GSXR750 brand new and its still less than a year old and it wouldn't start the other day. Every last bit of maintenance has been performed on time and the bike has been babied from day one...So, we opt to put in the shop to figure out whats wrong. Well the shop called today and informed us that it was going to cost $1100 to fix her ride! Yep, and the worst part is we were told this won't be covered under warranty... In the 37 years I've been riding I've never, ever heard of this happening to a new motorcycle ever. Apparently, her bike had carbon build up so bad on all four cylinders it prevented the valves from seating , which prevented the bike from starting.... :banghead: Less than 30lbs per cylinder I'm told. Mechanic thinks its fuel related, wtf... I buy my gas at the same pumps as the wife for all my bikes and never had this problem. Going to see the heads on her bike Wednesday afternoon and try to get some pictures. Something just doesn't seem right here. Has ANYONE ever saw/heard of this condition before?

sorry to hear. I wounder why we don't run a additive in the fuel. I allway run yamaha ring free in my boat and have thought abought useing it in my bikes

Yea, thats the crazy thing... Been running QuikTrip Gas for years! Its suppose to have the additives already in it but now this. I'm puzzled..

Interesting... Few years back Porsche declined warranty claims for carbon build up.

They stated that engine was misused and NOT revved up as supposed to. They said that engine was designed to live happily between 7 and 10K RPM and owners been driving it to slow. It was stated in owner manual. ???

Interesting... Few years back Porsche declined warranty claims for carbon build up.

They stated that engine was misused and NOT revved up as supposed to. They said that engine was designed to live happily between 7 and 10K RPM and owners been driving it to slow. It was stated in owner manual. ???

I've heard that of many German cars...the harder you drive them, the longer they last.

Topic: Bizarre. Fishy. Do your homework for certain, and let us know. Does your wife do spirited riding, or ? Anyway, it seems it'd take way longer than a year to build up like that.

I have nothing technical to offer and no history to draw from...good luck, brother.

Sounds like BS to me. How many miles on it?

Here's one from the old timers remedy department. I have an old 71-ford truck that was using oil when I got it but it had relatively low mileage (at the time). Well on a trip over the mountains it started using "A LOT" of oil! Were talking several quarts over a 280-mile drive. When I arrive an old mechanic I know looks at it and tells me it doesn't have enough miles on it to wear out a set of rings and I agreed. He tells me to go get a quart of Automatic tranny fluid (Type F but it doesn't appear to matter) and we dumped half in the crankcase and the other half down the Carb at about 2500rpms! My truck was hissing and pooping and smoking like a sky writer! I thought she was going to die right before my eyes. He tells me to go drive it around for a little bit. LSS that was over 14 years (and a few hundred thousand miles) ago and that truck still runs like a champ to this day and only uses about a half a quart between changes on that same set of rings! The ATF apparently burns out the carbon post haste and the stuff you dump in the pan helps to break down any that gets past the rings. Just don't leave it in there for more than a few hundred miles was his advice. Might be overkill in this case but….:thumbsup:

I would use seafoam.

But in all seriousness, most women don't drive bikes as hard as us guys do. [flame suit on]

My fiance's 250 used to run like **** all the time. You know what fixed it?? Running the sh!t out of it on the expressway. 10-20 minutes of balls to the wall driving and redline shifting every week or so and she's never had the problem. I don't have the heart to tell her why, though.

you can burn all the fuel you want, odds of carbon fouling are pretty darn slim..

Now burn that fuel with leaking valve guides.... bad news..

The carbon build up (if in fact there is) came from oil more likely than not..

I would be inclined to take a trip to the shop and look for yourself..

if you have any doubts, get another professional to take a peek and get the second opinion..

Just a thought KS but I'd contact Suzuki USA... 2007 with that sort of issue? Makes little sense. Although if she rides easy I can see the motor being a little scummy N Gummy but not actually damaged.

It does sound fishy... The Motorcycle industry is hurting right now, folks don't buy bikes when money is tight, nor do they get them serviced, SO, be careful...

i would certainly want to see the head, something doesnt sound quite right, but if it is fuel related i would test QT's gas warranty for sure.

Just call Suzuki Corp's Customer Service they will take care of you. Or take it to another Shop..

MMI Grad with 10 years of dealership Experence

Carbon on intake valves is not uncommon. Use Yamaha Ring Free to break it up, it WILL work. Follow up by using SeaFoam in the tank once a month, one ounce per gallon. Hopefully, they haven't pulled the heads yet......By the way pour the Ring Free into the intake at high idle until it chokes the engine, let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Repeat if necessary, this procedure will do the job, guaranteed.

Ron

Last edited:
KS,first I'll ask a couple of questions;you bought this bike new?how many miles on bike?,does your wife normally run it between 3000-5000RPM's?,when you last ran bike did it run OK?,is bike stock(no pc,stock exhaust),mechanic said its fuel related???...check exhaust outlet for excessive carbon...compression test yields 30 psi in each cylinder???...If I was you,I would like to see that test done before my eye's!...lastly,if bike was running so rich to carbon foul and actually encrust valves,it would have run like crap
the last time you used it!P.S. Trust no stealership!they need your/our money! P.S.S. not familiar with '07' GSXR750,but if it has o2 sensor with a cat the initail problem could be related to these and the ECM,creating a rich condition,which in return,would cause a massive carbon buildup....but if these 3 items where initially at fault/defective,bike would not run properly! ED

Last edited:
Back