Wideband install ECU

Deez ballz

Registered
Hi,
Iam looking to Install a AEM X SERIES wideband 02 sensor and need to hook it up to the ECU for the data log for the tuner.

Red power source = pin 17 with 5amp fuse inline.
Black ground wire = direct to battery.
White wire 0-5v input signal = pin 12 ECU.
Brown wire 0-5v negative signal = pin 29 ECU???

Does this look correct in terms of pin location?

Any tips would really help for install.

Thank you

20200226_221517.jpg

20200226_220908.jpg

SSGT_B

Registered
Some of the gen2 guys should be along in a while. I have a wideband but I’m gen1 and didn’t need to go through the ecu.

Mythos

Registered
Be careful about where you put the sensor bung. The sensor won't fit if you weld the bung at the proper angle right in the collector pipe. The engine overhangs and is in the way. A narrow band probably would fit but not a WB. I plan to put my WB sensor for Bazzaz way downstream on the upward pipe before the muffler.

Deez ballz

Registered
Be careful about where you put the sensor bung. The sensor won't fit if you weld the bung at the proper angle right in the collector pipe. The engine overhangs and is in the way. A narrow band probably would fit but not a WB. I plan to put my WB sensor for Bazzaz way downstream on the upward pipe before the muffler.
The exhaust will be sticking out from the side of the fairing at the front. Will that work ?

Mythos

Registered
The exhaust will be sticking out from the side of the fairing at the front. Will that work ?
That should be no problem as long as you test fit everything before you do anything permanent like welding a bung. Get the sensor and check it's placement with surrounding parts with the exhaust on the bike. People take a pipe out, have a bung welded and then find the sensor won't fit with surrounding parts when the pipe is put back in.

There is a minimum distance from the manifold you should place an O2 sensor or else it will burn up and need frequent replacement. Think the minimum was about 18" or something like that according to Dyno Jet. I have seen turbo setups where there was an O2 sensor on each header just an inch or so out of the motor. That must been very expensive initially and also probably required a lot of O2 sensors to be replaced. No question about tuning individual cylinders with that setups until a sensor burns out.

So you are going turbo then?

Deez ballz

Registered
Sounds correct to me. Brown to pin 12 and I believe you can leave the white wire unhooked since the sensor will already have it's ground from the black wire and the ecu just needs the 0-5 volt reference.
The red and black is power and ground for the gauge. I don't think it will ground the sensor signal (I could be wrong). Does the ECU need a ground signal. White wire is positive 0-5v and brown is negative if I reverse it will the signal be wrong?

Deez ballz

Registered
That should be no problem as long as you test fit everything before you do anything permanent like welding a bung. Get the sensor and check it's placement with surrounding parts with the exhaust on the bike. People take a pipe out, have a bung welded and then find the sensor won't fit with surrounding parts when the pipe is put back in.

There is a minimum distance from the manifold you should place an O2 sensor or else it will burn up and need frequent replacement. Think the minimum was about 18" or something like that according to Dyno Jet. I have seen turbo setups where there was an O2 sensor on each header just an inch or so out of the motor. That must been very expensive initially and also probably required a lot of O2 sensors to be replaced. No question about tuning individual cylinders with that setups until a sensor burns out.

So you are going turbo then?
Yes I'm going turbo. How long will the sensor last on a side exhaust ?

Boosted Cycle Perf

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
I really think you only need the brown wire hooked up.

@Boosted Cycle Perf would be the man to confirm this.

Also, check out where RCC places their O2 sensors on the dump pipe... It should be just fine a few inches after the turbine.
negitive. To get the correct reading you need to connect the sensor ground from the gauge into the negitive of the factory 02. If you do, you’ll get some called ground look cycling.

I’ve never had good luck with getting AEM gauges to read correctly in the ecu. The AEM sensor output scaling only goes to 4.5. But the ecu looks for a max of 5.0. So you have to do an average to get to 5.0. So it’s never very exact.

That’s why the ztronix wideband is the way to go because you can program the output signal scaling to fit the needs of the ecu.

Deez ballz

Registered
negitive. To get the correct reading you need to connect the sensor ground from the gauge into the negitive of the factory 02. If you do, you’ll get some called ground look cycling.

I’ve never had good luck with getting AEM gauges to read correctly in the ecu. The AEM sensor output scaling only goes to 4.5. But the ecu looks for a max of 5.0. So you have to do an average to get to 5.0. So it’s never very exact.

That’s why the ztronix wideband is the way to go because you can program the output signal scaling to fit the needs of the ecu.
So is this correct boosted or it's crap.

Mythos

Registered
Yes I'm going turbo. How long will the sensor last on a side exhaust ?
I have no experience with the O2 sensor quite that close to the engine but my PC5 O2 sensor has been right behind the collector for 10 years and it still tests just fine. With your O2 sensor installed as far as possible from the engine, I would think that would be 18" even with an exhaust existing the side fairing. I guess placement of the O2 sensor depends on whether or not you need to sample the exhaust before or after the turbine...if that matters. I've been told what really kills an O2 sensor is placing it so that condensation can collect on it. It should be at an angle where water can run off of the tip inside the pipe.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dark3 Wideband question Turbo 33
Geoff Wideband hook up on 2012 busa Track and Racing mods 8
S ECU Editor With Wideband O2 Enabled Engine and Performance mods 4
H AEM Wideband Failsafe Gauge not waterproof Turbo 35
EchoBase Finally, all in one Tuning / Dataloging / Wideband from Woolich Racing! Engine and Performance mods 0
1busa Question for you O2 Wideband gurus Engine and Performance mods 2
Road Weazel Yet Another Question... Dynojet PC-V, Wideband Controller and ECU Hack Turbo 3
C Best wideband controller Turbo 0
HotFoot Wideband O2 Gauge General Bike Related Topics 4
D NOOB wideband question Busa Mods 3
jkwool ECU Editor : Wideband O2 AFR and Engine Data Logging now available Busa Mods 19
FORDDEE Activate Nitrous with Wideband commander ! Nitrous 1
B wego III, wideband commander, or.....? Turbo 10
M Fuel map and WideBand General Bike Related Topics 9
ColdBusa Wideband Commander. Engine and Performance mods 4
S Luimoto seat cover install General Bike Related Topics 6
c10 Cyclops L.E.D. Headlight video install , and review Gen II Busa Information 22
HayaWakened Flo Oil Filters - Install Update (pics) Gen II Busa Information 14
ottafish Gen2 swingarm install question... Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 3
BUSA-QUE Gear indicator install Appearance mods 3
Boosted Cycle Perf Gen 2 RCC stage 1 install step by step Turbo 19
Spudley Factory decal/graphic removal, and install help please. General Bike Related Topics 15
B Exhaust install Gen II Busa Information 8
J F1 light and throttle hesitation after new exhaust install General Bike Related Topics 19
Cncbusa Connecting rods install Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 3
C Rear grab bar install Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 5
rap1972 Ck glow kit install General Bike Related Topics 1
greg3852 1397 kit self install? General Bike Related Topics 5
K Frame Slider Install Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 2
K Where To Install Frame Sliders Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 4
S Genmar And Helibar Install (how To Reroute Choke Cable) New Owners Forum 9
Y2K81 Corbin Beetle Bags Gen 1 Install Help Appearance mods 12
M New Fuel Pump Install General Bike Related Topics 2
Mathewrussell52 Rcc Install Instructions Turbo 30
bizzle Schnitz Raising Links Install Gen II Busa Information 1
bizzle Coffman's Install Black Bike/black Tips Gen II Busa Information 17
skotty Galfer Steel Braided Line Install Order Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 20
ResidentEvil Ss Line Install Question Gen II Busa Information 6
P Tire Install Pacific Northwest 4
W X-tre Install For 2014 Hayabusa? Gen II Busa Information 7
Ham General Switch Install Question General Bike Related Topics 2
Kevin Jones My Gen 2 Front End Install Busa Mods 2
Lucid o2 Sensor FI Light (C44) after Brock's and PCV install? Can't get it to turn off. Gen II Busa Information 5
B front sprocket install goof Gen II Busa Information 8
Jeremy Godo TRE install on a 2005 hayabusa Busa problems 16
InfiniteReality Want your rear signals to act like running/brake lights?? Install a SMART Triple Play Gen II Busa Information 7
Iceman_2770 new billet fuel rail install Turbo 3
Kevin Jones 2 stage lock up clutch install Engine and Performance mods 0
c10 Clean install of TPX Radar/ GPS Appearance mods 1
T Full Yoshimura R77 Install: PC5 Tune or Something Better? Leave stock O2 sensor? Gen II Busa Information 4