Why's it doing this?

firebusa74

Registered
2004 Busa.
When I ride for a while and stop the engine, it sounds like the battery is dead and won't start back up for a long time. This first happened when it overheated, and I got pushed to start it running again. Charged the battery, but it keeps doing it. It's only two years old, with no work done to it. Has this happened to anyone else, and what causes it?

check the terminals on the battery if they are corroded get a wire brush and make a paste out of baking soda and water if the battery is 2 years old it might be time for a new one i would replace it and try that see if it works for you

+1 On the new battery!!!!

And make sure you buy a good battery, dont buy a cheap one!!
cool.gif
cool.gif

cool.gif

My experience has been that once a motorcycle battery has displayed any signs of weakness it is best to replace it!

It has worked that way on everything from the Goldwing to the kid's dinky lil 4 wheeler.

I did have a starter issue that mimicked a low battery condition but I doubt that would be a sporadic (only when hot) problem like the one you described.

It could be the starter like YH2K said... if the solenoid in the starter is going out, when it gets hot it could be building up resistance and not allowing the bike to start. Then when it cools down everything is ok... or it could be the battery as well with the same issue...

Thanks guys. I'll replace the battery. I was worried it was something major. but this seems easy enough. I appreciate the responses.

I had the exact same issue....

<!--EDIT|IllBusa
Reason for Edit: "Was a thread jack..."|1153499637 -->

Back