Why rear brakes only?

I use the rear brake on the street, but I use it in combination with the fronts and only to augment the front.

Same here, just like I learned from several MSF (BRC/ERC/MSRC, etc.) classes over the years.

I almost always use both... since my motocross days. Not uncommon to lighten up the rear enough to tail out on downshifts diving into a corner. A couple of times on the big Beemer when the ABS was waiting for a reset. :thumbsup:

The rear brake is not all evil. It can be used in conjunction with the front brake to help balance the chassis and increase braking ability.

BUT, most suspension setups are not setup to balance the weight properly under braking. All of weight transfers to the front unloading the rear tire and causing a lockup.

Ask 100 racers and 50 use it, 50 don't. It really comes down to style and preference but more importantly, bike setup. Does your bike pitch forward a lot under braking or does it squat evenly front and rear? If you picked the latter you can probably safely apply the rear brake.

This is the most misguided statement on this thread.

I use both, mostly front, but ill use the rear mostly in traffic and stop and go stuff where i just gotta slow down and stop. I dont have to worry about lockin it up, sliding, weight transfer ect, just push the lil pedal and reduce speed.

Don't know I have a rear brake on the track...my skill level doesn't afford me the ability to know what to do with it there. As for the street, I use it for low speed stuff or sitting on a hill at a stop light or such to rest my hand.

I use the rear brake on the street, but I use it in combination with the fronts and only to augment the front. I also use the rear to sit at a stop light and keep the bike stationary.

WOW, my subscription notice is not working. i didnt think anyone had responded.

Anyway, i do this also. i drag the rear in stop and go traffic to balance the bike.

I only read about not using the rear brake on here, quite a while ago.
Been paranoid to go near the thing since.

Is there any time you can use the rear brake?.

Yes, to help out the front in hard braking, IF you have the presence of mind.

Don't know I have a rear brake on the track...my skill level doesn't afford me the ability to know what to do with it there. As for the street, I use it for low speed stuff or sitting on a hill at a stop light or such to rest my hand.

On the track, if you EVER go off track, THATs when you want to use the rear to slow down. i.e you have a off track excursion in the grass, the rear brake is good for that, applied slowly, (if you have the time).

To correct my statement...."on asphalt at the track"...carry on.

WOW, my subscription notice is not working. i didnt think anyone had responded.

Anyway, i do this also. i drag the rear in stop and go traffic to balance the bike.

Yes, to help out the front in hard braking, IF you have the presence of mind.

On the track, if you EVER go off track, THATs when you want to use the rear to slow down. i.e you have a off track excursion in the grass, the rear brake is good for that, applied slowly, (if you have the time).

On my m109 I use the rear along with the front brake to stop you almost have too unless you wanna go through a stop light or sign, on the busa I typically used only the front brake cuz my buddies say you didn't need to use the back brake and that it would lock up the back throwing you from the bike. But for the last couple weeks I have started using both of the brakes and I like the feel of using both of them there isn't nearly as much dumping up front and it slows down much quicker giving me a feeling of more control

On my m109 I use the rear along with the front brake to stop you almost have too unless you wanna go through a stop light or sign, on the busa I typically used only the front brake cuz my buddies say you didn't need to use the back brake and that it would lock up the back throwing you from the bike. But for the last couple weeks I have started using both of the brakes and I like the feel of using both of them there isn't nearly as much dumping up front and it slows down much quicker giving me a feeling of more control

Rear brakes typically don't throw you off the bike. However, they do lock up. How many times as a kid did you lock up your rear brakes on your bicycle? allot, because its easy to do, just basic physics.

Darwin caught up with me :laugh: Slammed my butt right down on the concrete. Learned my lesson though no rear brake.

The guy im speaking of, was within inches of doing the same thing. i wish he would have stopped, i would have loved to try and educate him, peacefully. But, you know how us motorcyclist can be at times. With so much bad info out there its sometimes hard to cut through with the truth. But, i will say, if he continues to do that, its only a matter of time when he will regret it.

Even when using the front brake too it will still lock up?

that depends. this depends on application pressure.

let me say this for clarification, your front will lock also. BUT with a heck of allot more pressure has to be applied to do this, especially on a larger bike.

that depends. this depends on application pressure.

let me say this for clarification, your front will lock also. BUT with a heck of allot more pressure has to be applied to do this, especially on a larger bike.

The front brakes certainly have the ability to lock the tire on just about any modern sportbike. However, if you are applying the brakes smoothly on a dry surface, you are far more likely to lift the rear wheel instead of locking the front.

The front brakes certainly have the ability to lock the tire on just about any modern sportbike. However, if you are applying the brakes smoothly on a dry surface, you are far more likely to lift the rear wheel instead of locking the front.

yup, i just did not want to mislead any new guys.

yup, i just did not want to mislead any new guys.

Good call. The rear brake on these things is more likely to hurt you than it is to help you.

I nearly had a highside crash on my first "real" bike. I was doing about 50 MPH on the old Marauder 800 when a car decided to turn in front of me from a side street. My n00b mentality taught me to be afraid of the front brake, so I promptly stomped on the rear instead. Of course, that caused the bike to kick sideways as I tried to avoid the car. When I let off the brake, the rear tire caught traction again and did its best to toss my butt over the bars. I got lucky there and learned a valuable lesson in the process.
:thumbsup:

Lamb dislikes this thread.
Please stop the use of the rear brake unless stopped.
Racers and street riders do a heck of a lot more things different than the use of the rear brake.
If you are looking to increase your chances of a highside (OUCH) then continue this unsafe and costly practice.

Back