WHY IS MY BIKE ALWAYS RUNNING HOT?

TAZEONE

Registered
just a tad bit over the halfway mark.
I have no choice, but there is traffic for the most part of my day all day, almost all nite.
my GSXR never ran this hot, but i feel it
around my ankle and just above on the left side
getting so hot that my jeans feel like they're gonna catch on fire. also on my right side just about behind my calf area, it always feels hot.

I mean, when i'm running the bike without any traffic, it's not bad, but still at just below the halfway point,

BUT IS THERE SOME SORT OF MOD
TO MAKE THE BIKE ALWAYS RUN A LITTLE COOLER?

It Will normally run just below 1/2 way while running free, and just above 1/2 while sitting in traffic.  Then the fan will kick on and it will drop just below and the process repeats until your moving again... I'd say split more lanes.  
smile.gif

Also you can buy a second fan for it, give yourself a switch somewhere on your bike for it and just crank it on when it gets too hot.  I have seen the two fan thing done, I just dont remember where.

Oh and as for heat bleeding off onto your feet and legs, Welcome to a High performance 1300 CC Motor Bro... She gives off alot of heat...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080702760 -->

haha, thanks REV,
on all my other bikes:

1989 Ninja 600RX
1990 GSXR 750
1991 GSXR 1100
1997 CBR 900R
2002 GSXR 750

none of them gave me problems
when I ride with shorts on.

with the BUSA, man it's like I get my
legs waxed. JESUS

if you find out where I can get that 2nd fan let me know.

thanks REV.

Check out Muzzy, they have an aluminum fan and might have the rest, or I believe you can just buy a second factory fan and bolt it up.
This would be a worthwhile question for the board though. I searched but I cannot find a source... But I believe it is possible.

Yeah, The Busa does put out an amazing amount of heat. But, you want the biggest boy on the block, this is the price we pay.
Part of it also has to do with the Busa utilizing the frame as a heat sink, I mean all bikes do this to some extant but it seems Suzuki really went that extra distance to ensure that a lot of the heat soak goes right into the frame.

One other thought, with twin fans you would get even MORE engine heat blown back into you... But from both sides...

I recommend NOT riding in shorts, It really will help, and wear some proper riding boots. This had made a difference with me and the amount of felt heat.
The bonus is that on chilly mornings you can really warm your hands on that frame.

Rev

TZ,

Before you go buy a muzzy fan or a 2nd stock fan. Try ENGINE ICE, its an aftermarket anti-freeze. I use it and love it. Its hot over here in Okinawa, and I get stuck in traffic too. I know how ya feel. I put this stuff in, and it cooled it off a lot. It claims that your bike will run up to 50 degrees cooler, and I beleive it.
Before I used this stuff my experience was just like you, burnin jeans in summer, guage reading over half way mark. Now, it hasn't climbed close to halfway mark. Of course it isn't summer yet, but still in the 70s over here mostly.
Stuff sells for like 12-15 bucks for a 2 liter jug, more than prestone, but is worth it in my opinion. it will take 1 and a half jugs to fill the Busa, 3.3 liters if my memory serves me correctly.

god bless you busafever.
i'm in tokyo about 3 times a year......
how's the riding out there?
i couldn't even drive when i was there.
I got scared with all those weird u turn lanes and
so many lights and cool stuff to look at :lol

but once again thank you!

heh, I actually LIKE riding here. All of the Japanese riders constantly split lanes, speed, wheelie, and stuff. So the local police are acclimated if you will.... They don't even try to touch a biker when he breaks the law. its VERY nice... Except for the biker cops, I hear those guys mean business and it is best to just pull over. Glad I could help ya out bro.

TZ,

Before you go buy a muzzy fan or a 2nd stock fan.  Try ENGINE ICE, its an aftermarket anti-freeze.  I use it and love it.  Its hot over here in Okinawa, and I get stuck in traffic too.  I know how ya feel.    I put this stuff in, and it cooled it off a lot.    It claims that your bike will run up to 50 degrees cooler, and I beleive it.  
Before I used this stuff my experience was just like you, burnin jeans in summer, guage reading over half way mark.  Now, it hasn't climbed close to halfway mark.  Of course it isn't summer yet, but still in the 70s over here mostly.
Stuff sells for like 12-15 bucks for a 2 liter jug, more than prestone, but is worth it in my opinion.    it will take 1 and a half jugs to fill the Busa, 3.3 liters if my memory serves me correctly.
Wow...that didn't take long...
I was just looking for info on "something Ice" to keep the bike cooler...thanks for posting the info! This site is great...
smile.gif

I had my Busa in traffic last week...we were moving about a car length at a time on a busy strip near the beach; no way out of the traffic but to wait, move, wait, move...

My Busa started getting warm, and within 15 minutes or so, it was so close to the red line, I ended up pulling over in a parking lot and cutting it off. The fan was cutting on, there's plenty of coolant, but it still nearly overheated...

I'm going to try the Engine Ice and hope it works 'cause this was only a 70 degree day!
rock.gif

ever had a VFR 800? I did...fan blowing off the lateral radiators in the fairing warm up the ankles even hotter than the busa...heard the RC51 blows some serious heat too. thats another bike with laterally mounted radiators. so it could be worse!!

Just an update on my header wrap. All day ride Saturday in temps from 45 up to 89 degrees F. Never did the needle get any higher than two needle widths BELOW the middle line on the gauge. I have a stock cooling system and just added that ceramic header tape wrapped around the down tubes from after the turn down from the head to below the oil cooler. That keeps the heat off the two radiators. It works great!

Engine Ice is great, been using it for about a year, works great...

No mixing, just make sure you flush your coolent, get all of the antifreeze out of the system.

Back