Why is it...?

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Almost every time someone finds out I ride a motorcycle they always have a "I had a friend/family member killed on a bike" story...and then tell me to be careful.

I usually respond to them by saying "have you ever had someone get killed in a car accident, probably and yet you are still driving a car."

Lately I have been hearing that "you're getting too old and you're reflexes aren't as good".

I exercise every day. Weights but nothing very heavy. I don't think I can ever be one to sit and watch TV all day. I know the risks and was in an accident in my 20's but walked away.

I am as careful as possible but where I live my worst fear is deer. I don't know why they don't extend hunting season.

Ask them if they've ever eaten a cheeseburger? Heart attacks kill people every day....
I've almost died many times over the years, a few of those occurred on bikes. Lost a few friends and several acquaintances to riding. It happens. There are inherent risks to everything, I acknowledge and mitigate them as best I can.

I'd rather die riding than most other options ;) most that know me never say jack to me once I show them a wheelie video or 341 push mountain rd. Two wheels are my passion since I was about 3. All the BIG kids got bikes. I want one to! I was hiding my yamaha 100 cc in the woods @ 16 from my parents.

Truth be told experience is a big risk mitigation. After the first year your chances of crashing go down significantly. Next is riding like a squid, obviously. Then riding at night. Then riding during rush hour. Pick your riding times/places and you basically reduce your exposure to just a tad more than in a car. A lot of motorcycle accidents are minor but become major due to no gear. Abrasions are very difficult, time consuming wounds to heal. Not to mention extremely painful. Wear your gear and most accidents are walk away with scrapes and bruises. When I looked deeply into the stats I discovered motorcycle accident data is skewed heavily by young and reckless riders. After that there is the infamous left turn cars that are responsible for a huge amount of heavy injury crashes. I usually don't ride in the right lane to give myself an out should someone turn in front of me.

Anyway, you can reduce your risk significantly on the bike if you pick your battles.

PS: I have in the last couple years watched my 96 year old Aunt die a slow, brutal death and now I'm watching my parents do the same. I would not trade one second of life now for a month more at the end. That's what I tell people when they ask about riding.

Almost every time someone finds out I ride a motorcycle they always have a "I had a friend/family member killed on a bike" story...and then tell me to be careful.
My answer to these people is
"yes, and it is usually the car/truck driver that doesn't SEE the motorcyclist that turns in front of him/her, so PLEASE be careful around motorcyclists and check your rear view mirror OFTEN."

I'm an ATGATT guy, but I have to admit, I was in Montana recently, and wifey and I were tooling around in jeans and t shirts. I can see why the Harley crazies do it, it's like riding a bicycle, but with less effort.

To this day my relatives on my one side despise them. They have learned that I will ride regardless of what they think. But so true it’s always the case. The news outlets also seem to over embellish on motorcycle accidents for some reason.

Recently met up with 1 of my best friends from outta town. He introduced me to his new girlfriend and we were talking somehow the topic of motorcycles got brought up. I mentioned to him how he needs to go get his license so we can ride with me. She promptly chimed in “Oh no I’m gonna have to put my foot down on this 1....” She then told me how she’s a nurse and has worked in the ER and seen what guys look like from motorcycle accidents.

I just looked her dead in the eyes and asked her how many gruesome injuries have you seen from car accidents......??? How many fatalities have you seen from car accidents vs the ratio to motorcycle accidents??? She tried to look away and I spoke up “Yet.... you still get into cars everyday of your life don’t you???”

Awkward pause and He quickly changed topics :laugh:

Recently met up with 1 of my best friends from outta town. He introduced me to his new girlfriend and we were talking somehow the topic of motorcycles got brought up. I mentioned to him how he needs to go get his license so we can ride with me. She promptly chimed in “Oh no I’m gonna have to put my foot down on this 1....” She then told me how she’s a nurse and has worked in the ER and seen what guys look like from motorcycle accidents.

I just looked her dead in the eyes and asked her how many gruesome injuries have you seen from car accidents......??? How many fatalities have you seen from car accidents vs the ratio to motorcycle accidents??? She tried to look away and I spoke up “Yet.... you still get into cars everyday of your life don’t you???”

Awkward pause and He quickly changed topics :laugh:
When someone says that their wife/girlfriend whatever wont let them, or made them stop. I say you picked the wrong wife/girlfriend! :beerchug:

Anyone who allows a significant other to direct their life to that extent needs to reevaluate their situation. Not just for motorcycles either. The most common i get is organ donar. I simply state only if you cagers keep killing us.

Back