Why I love driving in winter storms...

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Am I the only one that LOOKS FORWARD to horrible winter weather? I heard we would have winds and snow, so I bundle up and grab the keys! I realized the main reason I do this is the same reason I ride a Hayabusa:

It lets me dress up like a spaceman. And I ALWAYS wanted to be an astronaut!

So there ya have it. I get all decked out in a multi-layered life protection suit, and venture out into an alien world where winds will blow you away and cold can kill you in minutes. Ah, paradise for the thrill seeker. Plus, it's just plain fun to tear around slippery roads when everyone else is too scared to drive. Bouncing off curbs and light poles is WAY cheaper than other cars. And those stupid traffic cams don't show much when covered with 1/4 inch of ice and snow.

"Spaceman, ready to exit air chamber!"

spaceman.jpg

"Captain's Log.... stardate 1220.2008.... venturing out to the planet surface.... is..
covered with a solid white crust..."

cold.jpg

I look forward to the first big snowfall.
It is a real gas to get the 4X4 out and burn around on the hillls.

"My shuttle craft appears intact and is self thawing.... dramatic camera angle makes it look burried... but.. um.... really, I just sort of backed out..."

car.jpg

"the.... planet appears to be vacant except for one small minivan... most life forms.... undetected..... a vast wasteland of empty bowling alleys and shops.... the roads.... devoid of life signs..."

roads.jpg

bowl.jpg

road2.jpg

Ah, Can't wait for tomorrow: winds up to 40MPH, and deadly wind chills at -30 below. Sounds fun! :thumbsup:

I look forward to the first big snowfall.
It is a real gas to get the 4X4 out and burn around on the hillls.

heheheheh there ya go! If it was really that annoying, we'd move south.

"It's not just a life, it's an adventure!"

You Florida and Cali people, ENJOY!

here, come on over... we still have at least 1/2" of ice on all the secondary streets and the primary streets are like black ice in about 20% of the areas... Weeeee!!

I wish it was ultra cold, at least the roads would be frozen solid instead of the water/ice combo we have at 32..

Hourly Weather Details
Sunday Morning, December 21

RealFeel®

Wind Speed

This cold will blow your way, Biscuit :)

I've never quite looked at it that way ??? Is that stuff you've been smoking giving you the munchies yet? :laugh:

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

YES YES YES

I love it!!

Wife thinks I'm crazy. I keep telling the guys at work I hope we get a blizzard:laugh:

I got a 4x4 with 33" mud tires. I aint got that thing stuck yet. It's a blast to drive where no one else can or will:thumbsup: I LOVE it when we get unexpected 8 in. and places are still open but empty parking lots full of snow cause the plows cant keep up. I get to whip it in and park anyway I want. On the highway I get my very own lane. The plows clear one or two lanes so I cruise down the fast lane in snow passing cars at 40mph:beerchug:. Snow drifts look out:laugh: unless theres been some freezing rain mixed in and refroze making an ICE mound:whistle: not so much fun

Your not alone. I love to go driving around in the snow! The Wifes Expedition is a TANK in this stuff! Brand new 18" Pirelli Scorpions are awesome in the snow too! I even got to play good samaritan today and pulled a young Hispanic couple out of a ditch while I was at it.:laugh:

Hmmph. Ok, I'm reading. I'm thinking. I'm wrapping my mind about the idea of someone viewing icy roads as an adventure... I'm lookin at the pics - very few cars on the road!

It begs the question:
Would you feel the same about three or four lanes of bumper to bumper traffic doing 70 mph on ice?
Or maybe you just don't have that many cars there...?
Not enough cars to have huge pileups? Haven't had the pleasure of being stranded without heat on the freeway for three or four hours in quickly dropping freezing temps for hours surrounded by dozens of totalled cars and trucks, waiting for the tow trucks to clear the highway so a working vehicle can come get you?

I'm thinking Colorado, between Denver and Breckenridge - where my limited experience with extended snow/ice travel has been... and I realize that my few experiences are nowhere near a representative sample...

Grew up in the foothills of NC. Not for me. I loved sled riding as a kid, but all the other stuff was a pain.

"the.... planet appears to be vacant except for one small minivan... most life forms.... undetected..... a vast wasteland of empty bowling alleys and shops.... the roads.... devoid of life signs..."

*ahem*

when is it EVER NOT like that in IOWA?:poke:

Back