Why go to the MOVIES

Why go to the MOVIES - Entertainment or Documentory?

• Movies should be ENTERTIANMENT ONLY!   OHHH! OHHHHH!

Votes: 27 100.0%
  • Movies should have a message.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Movies should be more like Documentaries

• Movies should make me think more than my Geometry S.A.T.

• Who bothers with Movies anymore?  I gots a DVD player

• I download my movies because they mostly suck anymore

• What's a moovee? ?

• My Cat's breath smells like cat food!

• Total voters

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Ah, yes, the Movie theater.... a fading experience. Many of us grew up pre-VCR, when TV was small and dull, and movies were big, bright, loud adventures with passion and action not found in our everyday life. We went to escape and see new things. The whole family piled in the car, stood in line and sat down, listening to the piped in music [not contsant Ads] and talked for twenty minutes before the Previews began. Often our pop, and hot extra buttered popcorn was gone even before the lights dimmed and the curtain raised or parted, and the projector fired up, showing us battles amongst distant galaxies, or some lone hero fighting some faction for the good of the people.

Then, there were the drive ins. The experience that can still be had today if you're lucky enough to find a decent one nearby. Driving in and waiting in a long line of cars, as the sun sets. You have 2 more buddies stashed in the trunk or hiding under unneeded coats in the back seats... sometimes you would try to sneak in some kissing action with your girlfriend during the quiet scenes after dark. Sometimes, she let you. Running accross that hilly gravel parking lot to get more junk food, dodging the "Speaker polls", past the other cars where people faces reflected the light from the big screen.

Now we mostly pat ourselves on the back for succeeding at recreating the BIG SCREEN expereince in our isolated homes, with large TVs, great stereos, even microwave popcorn.

But have we REALLY recreated the experince? Do you get to hear hundreds of random strangers laughing at the same thing you are laughing at? Or get to look around and find the cute girls when running to the bathroom? How about the smell of consession stand cooking 5 different forms of food - more than just your microwave popcorn? Not to mention the anticipation of getting a good seat, and waiting and talking together before the previews?

I still go to movies. Especially when it is some big EPIC adventure that will never look as good on a 50" screen or 8 foot projector. The theaters are less crowded these days but there are still people going. I hope to hunt down some DRIVE-INs this summer in Newton and Kansas City.
pic_movietheatersampling.jpg

Deb and I love going to the movies. When we first started dating, that was the weekly agenda; dinner or coffee and a movie. You're right about the diminishing crowds but also very right about the experience; just can't match it at home. She has great taste about picking them; I don't do as well
wow.gif

thats the best post I have seen from you in a long time
beerchug.gif

very well written, made me want to go to a movie right now
biggrin.gif
I love to go to movies but the wife would rather watch at home, guess thats the diff in age I was born in 72 she was born in 81. I got to see all the great epic movies in the theaters and she saw them all at home on video. Huh........something to think about, guess were getting old?
rock.gif

I wish I had a dollar for every movie Mike and I have seen in our 22 years together. In high school, we were viewed as "the boring couple" because we'd rather head off to the movies for the evening over partying with friends...we're still huge movie buffs, but we do kind of save our movie theater experiences for the BIG films like all of the Lord of the Ring movies, or the MATRIX trilogies...and of course 300!
laugh.gif

Rocky wouldn't have been the same at home...Goodfellas, Forest Gump, Alien and Contact...so many great flicks that had to be seen on the big screen surrounded by strangers...

And I miss drive-ins so much, I'm hoping they'll one day become the "retro in-thing" and mkae a come back, but I kind of doubt it
sad.gif

...and nothing tops being a kid and laying on the roof of your Dad's old T-Bird with your jammies on, a pillow and some popcorn!!!

Memories I wish my kids could have...

(VaBusa @ Apr. 10 2007,12:11) ...and nothing tops being a kid and laying on the roof of your Dad's old T-Bird with your jammies on, a pillow and some popcorn!!!

Thanks Michelle, I dont feel as old now
tounge.gif

(warwgn @ Apr. 10 2007,14:14)
(VaBusa @ Apr. 10 2007,12:11) ...and nothing tops being a kid and laying on the roof of your Dad's old T-Bird with your jammies on, a pillow and some popcorn!!!

Thanks Michelle, I dont feel as old now
tounge.gif
We're not old...we just had the chance to do some cool stuff that's fallen by the wayside...playing during intermission at the 'park' down in front of the screens, heck, having an intermission time to fetch goodies from the snack bar...

Okay, maybe we're old! LOL

My cat has a breath problem... I think he eats too much cat food...

(VaBusa @ Apr. 10 2007,15:52)
(yamahor @ Apr. 10 2007,15:45) My cat has a breath problem... I think he eats too much cat food...
Out of the thread simpleton!  
laugh.gif
WHAT? 1 of the choices was about my cats breath...

(yamahor @ Apr. 10 2007,13:35)
(VaBusa @ Apr. 10 2007,15:52)
(yamahor @ Apr. 10 2007,15:45) My cat has a breath problem... I think he eats too much cat food...
Out of the thread simpleton!
laugh.gif
WHAT? 1 of the choices was about my cats breath...
Ok, Ralph Wiggum... that's unpossible! Now, back to our regularly scheduled wind noises and tumbleweeds...
tumbleweeds07.jpg

We're both movieholics. I'll watch a good movie literally dozens of times, over and over and over and love it just as much the 56th time as the first time. We have a collection of DVD's that rivals the local Blockbuster excluding the really crappy movies. We finally bought the big T.V. this year. It's only 8 months old but I bet it won't last much longer!

In spite of our DVD collection, some movies are made for the big screen and that's the only place it's worth watching them. So, yup. We still spend some serious time and $$$ going to the theater for movies! Then we can't wait for the DVD so we can add it to our collection.

If you do the math, however, you actually save a bunch of money by switching to Geico, er. waitaminnit.

Reset.

You save a lot of money by buying the home theater system and buying or renting DVDs. In about 18 to 24 months, you've recouped your cash and if you hate theaters for the various reasons that they suck, you're money ahead.

Great thread topic!

--Wag--

P.S. It should be a law that any and all polls should include a choice of, "It depends."
biggrin.gif

naw.... "It depends" is for undecisive, fence straddlers or relly old people with incontinance.
biggrin.gif

I love movies also and will NEVER stop going to theaters, even though my home rig is very satisfactory. To me, not going would be like giving up actually RIDING a motocycle and just playing the video game.

But, my personal tastes..... I would rather be taken away from the world rather than have it smeared in my face, by choice, for two hours... per the recent rash of "Documentary" movies. Why do people PAY any money to watch other's opinions and obvious propaganda? You can not get a fair perspective from ANY form of media that can't possibly cover all the sides simply because it's goal is to sell you a particular direction - which is why they bothered to make the "Movie" in the first place. I jsut don't get that. I feel it cheapens the whole movie experience for everyone.

I hope they come out with INDIANA JONES 4: The Wheelchair Rucus because, jokes, aside, THAT is the perfect "Movie" example: fun, fake, entertaining, not all that deep or dripping with message...

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT
PF_1247198~Indiana-Jones-and-The-Last-Crusade-Posters.jpg

I love bootlegs!!!! I only have to wait about a week after a new release and then I've got it on DVD for five bucks! Quality is perfect. The only thing that lacks is the big screen effect, being uncomfortable in a squeeky chair, rude people around me, and outragous prices on admission and food.

I love the Indiana Jones movies, but aren't the key players sort of too old to be lashing whips and falling in to snake pits by now?

Anything Steven Spielberg does is theater worthy, well, except A.I. which just disturbed me...

As for "documentaries" on the big screen? Sure, a lot of hype and opinions in most, but I enjoy seeing films revolving around our history, war movies or a good western, the JFK assassination or anything to do with the Roman Empire. You take from those types of films what you will and hopefully you are encouraged to go to the library and read up on more if you want the facts, not just the hype...still nothing wrong with a director taking a bit of history, even with his twist, and putting it to film for others to enjoy...
smile.gif

(WWJD @ Apr. 11 2007,04:25) naw....  "It depends"  is for undecisive, fence straddlers or relly old people with incontinance.  
biggrin.gif

I hope they come out with INDIANA JONES 4: The Wheelchair Rucus  because, jokes, aside, THAT is the perfect "Movie" example:  fun, fake, entertaining, not all that deep or dripping with message...

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT
PF_1247198~Indiana-Jones-and-The-Last-Crusade-Posters.jpg
Actually, the Indiana Jones movies had a very strong message. Am surprised you didn't get it!

The message?

Ready?

People from Indiana are kool.....
super.gif

Did I mention that I moved to SoCal from Indiana in December?
rock.gif

Just thought I would throw that in there to illustrate my point and certainly validate it...

super.gif
egitarre77.gif
smileyexhibit.gif

Back