Why does it take so long to open a topic?

Burger King

breakin' the law
Donating Member
Registered
I have slow dial up at home but never had a problem with the old board nor do I have a problem opening pages anywhere else on the net. In fact, I don't have a problem going from one page of topics to another. It's only when I try to open a topic that it takes nearly a minute for the page to load and be viewable. This happens for every topic I try to open.

Is it the board or somewhere I need to change a setting?

I'm not sure what is going on but it is loading very fast for me.
rock.gif

one thing to try is:
goto "your control panel" here on the board
goto "account options"
at the bottom of the page you and change it so avatars don't show. There are some that may be slowing down the page load times.

Fo the folks on dial up just like Jim said, go into your control panel and turn off the avatars and sig lines and it takes away most of the large files.... Faster downloads

Check the performance on the site now and let me know what you think...

(captain @ Sep. 10 2006,14:56) Check the performance on the site now and let me know what you think...
It is better now, Cap. I think the difference from the old board is that the page won't open until all the images are loaded (before the page would load and then the images would show up little by little, depending on connection speed). Although whatever changes you just made seemed to do the trick.

I hope that made sense.

Yea it's better now. Still not as fast as the old page but like jwcfbd said I imagine it's all the icons waiting to load before it's viewable.

Thanks

Back