Why do people keep dropping thier bikes

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Hokay,
For my 3,800th post:
At the Bash, I was talking to Tom (TPbio) about how he dropped his bike.  I have read a few posts about this....
Anyway, so at night, a guy rolls up and we throw his bike up on my lil stand and we clean his chain... at the end, I grab the handlebars and roll his bike forward to get it off of the stand.  People were asking me how I did that, they hadn't seen it before, I mentioned that I had never seen it done another way... so here is what I have come up with, based on the posts and my conversation with Tom.

When you put the bike up on a racing stand, you WHEEL it under the swingarm or the spools and using the handle, you carefully attempt to hold the bike steady with one hand, while using the other hand to push down on the stand, jacking the bike up (while the wheels on the stand roll so that the sant moves forward a little - the bike comes straight up).  I picture the prefered method being a two person operation for both raising and lowering.

My stand has no wheels, so, when I put it under the swing arm, I straighten the bike (easy because of the grab bar mod) then step on the stand, using my leg to pull the bike up and back.  Once I am done, I simply roll the bike forward to get it off the stand.

I don't think that you can roll one of the race stands forward, because it wouldn't come up, it would just roll witht he wheels.  So, here is what I am wondering.  For those who do put theier bike up and take it off the stand alone, would it help if you placed a broom handle in front of the wheels so that the stand wouldn't roll forward - then take the bike by the handlebars and roll the whole bike forward?  You have positive control and much less chance of dropping the bike...

Thoughts?  I am including a gratuitous pic of Bessie, but look closely at my stand..

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146628568 -->

DSC04241.JPG

yup..I can see how that would work. I have someone hold the bike for me but with that stand it would work rather easily.

hogger...

I always leave the grab bar on the back for that purpose, on and off the rear stand.

I'm only 168lbs of skinny white boy and I've never dropped my busa, 4 yrs now.

Since most of you guys are stronger than I, I think it's just that yall're not paying attention.  Be careful  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146630894 -->

that would work with the right kind of stands, but if your stand has a long handle on the end, then when you go to roll the bike foward, that handle can come up quickly and whach your bike somewhere...pipes, brake light, whatever. your stand is short so you dont have to worry much. also its harder with my bike because the pipe blocks my view of the spindle on one side and my chain guard plate mount blocks the view of the other spindle so its hard to get the stand lined up just right. i have to stand the bike straight up and down with my left hand while bending over to get a view of the spindles and using my right hand to position the stand. all of this while trying not to scratch my swingarm or my pipe with the stand. a big PITA. lowering it down is the easiest....just make sure the kickstand is down
wink.gif
heres a pic so you can have an idea

Blue_Silver_Busa_1.JPG

Iam including a gratuitous pic of Bessie, but look closely at my stand.. [/QUOTE]
Yea right,how bout providing a gratuitous pic of the 'HULK' that's moving it!! LOL
Think that has anything to do with it?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I just love those colors.
I still need to purchase a stand,this thread may be helpful to me.

biggrin.gif

I'm only 168lbs of skinny white boy and I've never dropped my busa, 4 yrs now.
And I'm an even SKINNIER 6ft, 153 lb white boy and I'm VERY careful. Keep pressure on the stand when the wheel is on the ground, make sure the kickstand is down, lean it over on the kickstand and pull back to make sure the kickstand is "locked".

I would also be worried about the handle on the Pitbull whacking something on the tail of the bike if I rolled it forward. Yeah, it gets me a little nervous when I put it on the stand. I try to move slowly and deliberately, trying not to scratch anything. I'm a normal/larger size dude (5'10" 210 ish) so the size of the bike isn't such a big deal.

thanks for the tips i am looking to buy a stand now and this is helpful

The stands I have are from Suzuki and they have a long handle and wheels. I put it on and take it off by myself all the time.I first make sure it is in first gear and rolled foreward. Then I put down the kickstand and place a short piece of 2x4 under the kickstand. This stands the bike up almost upright. Using my left hand I raise the bike up the rest of the way using the grab handle on the left side under the rear fender, resting the bike on my left leg to steady it. I then roll the stand under the spools and press down on the stand raising the bike. Piece of cake! Havn't droped it yet. To lower the bike just reverse the process. MC it was real cool of you to help the new guy with his chain. We talked to him for quite a while, and I hope he joins us and posts up.

beerchug.gif

I just bought a new stand ( vortex knock off ) with a long handle.
For my new bike, Put it on the stand without the grab bar on the bike ( would of preferred to have it on but wasn't going to take the time to put it on ) got it up ok but wasn't sure how I was going to get it down.
I thought if I could roll the bike off the stand I wouldn't need to worry about droping it.
So I blocked the wheels of the stand and pushed the bike foward slowly with my hand on the front brake. It worked ok and when the bike was half off the stand it kind of shot back a little behind the bike.

The stands I have are from Suzuki and they have a long handle and wheels. I put it on and take it off by myself all the time.I first make sure it is in first gear and rolled foreward. Then I put down the kickstand and place a short piece of 2x4 under the kickstand. This stands the bike up almost upright. Using my left hand I raise the bike up the rest of the way using the grab handle on the left side under the rear fender, resting the bike on my left leg to steady it. I then roll the stand under the spools and press down on the stand raising the bike. Piece of cake! Havn't droped it yet. To lower the bike just reverse the process. MC it was real cool of you to help the new guy with his chain. We talked to him for quite a while, and I hope he joins us and posts up.

beerchug.gif
Thanks for the compliment! I figure everyone else would have done the same thing - I mean he was on a Busa! That guy (I can't remember his name) said he was going to join...I hope he does join up!

Back