Why do my brakes feel soft?

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Front brake works, but feels soft in comparison to buddies Busa. Suggestions or checklist of things to check in order to address the problem maybe?

does his have ss lines? mine felt firmer after i installed ss lines

did he change lines and or pads. if so there's a HUGE difference

do you have air in the lines, may need to be bled, or add fluid

lastly, how are the pads, if they are worn out, it takes more pull and thus the squishy feeling

might be air in line..or..fluid is low..or..if you bleed them or have bleed them..do the left front first then the right.

hogger...

Nope, I have stock lines and pads. At least I think the pads are stock I bought the bike with 1595 miles on her. Shibumi's scoot had like 2600 or so when he picked her up last week. Can we use a manual vacuum pump on that brake system?

Don

Shibumi is a dood
biggrin.gif

yes you can use a manual vacuum pump to bleed the brakes make sure you keep the master cylinder full it goes down quik

Sounds like air in the lines... +3

If the bike/fluid is more than two years old drain it completely out and start with new! I use a $5 brake bleed bottle (u can get them at almost any automotive store, should have a magnet on it to keep it up high).

after a little use, busa breaks FADE to weak pretty quickly. I get mine BLED at every service. get better pads when it's time to replace. I also have my front handle setting at 1 (of 6). suspension settings also make a huge difference on front braking - properly balanced bike lets the front grip more withoutfeeling like the whole bike weight is on it. when you want to pay, get the steal braided lines put in - I hear it makes a big difference

If the bike/fluid is more than two years old drain it completely out and start with new! I use a $5 brake bleed bottle (u can get them at almost any automotive store, should have a magnet on it to keep it up high).
Took bike in yesterday to get new front tire put on (when I bought it it had a new Qualifier on back and a Batlax on front-not good) and had them flush and replace brake fluid. Now is all good, firm lever and stops great! Thanks for the tip on the two years, that was the key point- with only 2600 miles on a 3 year old bike I had NO idea when the previous owner changed it.

Took bike in yesterday to get new front tire put on (when I bought it it had a new Qualifier on back and a Batlax on front-not good) and had them flush and replace brake fluid. Now is all good, firm lever and stops great! Thanks for the tip on the two years, that was the key point- with only 2600 miles on a 3 year old bike I had NO idea when the previous owner changed it.
No problem glad its fixed.....

about how many miles do you get out of your brake pads ?
rock.gif
My baby is at 3000 miles and the back brakes are getting thin. I am an expirenced rider. I thought I was not over using the rear brakes more than the front. I have always had 600's though. 1300 is a big difference. On closer inspection I still have close to an 1/8" before the wear (noise) makers. Better than an 1/8" to the wear line on the pads. All stock. I took my first motorcycle wheel off tonite. What a #####. I could not get one of the screws otta the chain guard, stripped it out. Thought I would try to take the wheel off anyway. The cahin did'nr come off easy and the i fought with the caliper on the other side. I got frustrated and put several small scratches on the rim. I did not know the spocket hub would just fall off either didn't know about the rubber blocks inside either, MAN! Tried to put the wheel back on and fought with caliper again, scratched the paint again. Finnaly got the stripped bolt outta the chain guard and made it a little easier. Be careful of the caliper when pulling the wheel! One question does the caliper swivel to allow for chain adjustment? I put the axle and caliper back on without the wheel and i cannot move the axle by hand(no adjustment blocks in). Is this normal or do I need to loosen up the caliper support bar bolt?
Sorry for the long post/rant.
rant.gif

I just changed my rear brakes at 8900 miles. My fronts are ready to go in another 1000 miles or so. I ride pretty hard - meaning - I'm strong on the brakes.

<!--EDIT|shawn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151766540 -->

rock.gif
What a #####. I could not get one of the screws otta the chain guard, stripped it out.
you know,  i had the same problem with the chain guard.  one of the screws wouldnt come out.  the next day i decided to try taking the wheel off anyways and no problem.  got the tire replaced and it went on with little effort.  i think it was the easiest tire change i've had to do.  

also one screw on the airfoil deal under the bike wont come out either,  just like the chain guard.  still havent gotten it loose.  any suggestions?

bone

rock.gif
What a #####. I could not get one of the screws otta the chain guard, stripped it out.
you know, i had the same problem with the chain guard. one of the screws wouldnt come out. the next day i decided to try taking the wheel off anyways and no problem. got the tire replaced and it went on with little effort. i think it was the easiest tire change i've had to do.

also one screw on the airfoil deal under the bike wont come out either, just like the chain guard. still havent gotten it loose. any suggestions?

bone

rock.gif
you know,  i had the same problem with the chain guard.  one of the screws wouldnt come out.  the next day i decided to try taking the wheel off anyways and no problem.  got the tire replaced and it went on with little effort.  i think it was the easiest tire change i've had to do.  

also one screw on the airfoil deal under the bike wont come out either,  just like the chain guard.  still havent gotten it loose.  any suggestions?

bone
not sure on the airfoil but if its like the chain guard i kept trying a screwdriver bit with a socket and 1/4" drive ratchet. Not sure if the air foil bolts are screw head or not.
umnik.gif

Back