Why do I need to do my break in oil change at 300 miles for my 18 cbr1krr?

umairhashmi

Registered
With almost all other bikes its at 600 miles. Why do I need to do it at 300 miles on the 2018 CBR1kRR unless I am reading it wrong?

#ChangeYourOil ~ #Do3HeatCycles ~ #PutTheGoodStuffIn ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
With almost all other bikes its at 600 miles. Why do I need to do it at 300 miles on the 2018 CBR1kRR unless I am reading it wrong?

Well w/o reading what you’re reading my guess is that they’re using genuine ‘break in’ oil and they don’t want it circulating in there longer than 300 miles.

When the CBR changed back in 08 there was some hoopla regarding rings not seating etc and they were known as oil burners. Perhaps from that experience Honda changed their break in procedure???

My 04 CBR had no such issues and ran great I’d throw some Rotella T6 in it and never look back .

Oil / filter is cheap . Don't be cheap ;) . All my new bikes / engines I have built were 100 miles , 500 miles , 1000 miles . after that normal millage cycles . If you know what your looking for you will see flushing the system is a good thing .
Well said c10, my thoughts exactly!
It’s good to go with the manufacturers recommendations of course, but why not exit that first oil load with all its contamination of fine metal particles, and get rid of it early on, and repeat.

First oil changes should be drained thru a clean white towel to see what drains (besides) oil. The filter should retain whatever metal flecks or gasket residue might be in there but filters don’t catch everything. Just think of it as bathing the inside of your engine. You wouldn’t want the ‘bath water’ to get too dirty would you?

Back