Why Do Guys..

I almost did when I couldn't afford 2 rotors... But one imaginary accident later I decided to wait and save.

Wow, seriously? Looks only?

I guess its true, most Busa guys do only use their rear brakes. Im the complete opposite, i use my front for 99% of my braking.

anyway, to each his own.

Thanks for the info.

2 reasons why one would switch to one brake rotor/caliper.

1. For looks, as everyone has already mentioned. Especially when dealing with chrome rims. If you are going to pay an arm and a leg for nice shiny rims, removing the rotor/caliper gives you more visibility and for maintenance purposes, easy access to clean the rim often in order to avoid pitting.

2. Some drag junkies, not to be confused with track junkies, will remove it for the purpose of weight reduction. When you're trying to make a number on the 1/4 mile every ounce counts.

The "not being able to stop" theory is a bit of an exageration, mainly by people that have not done this to their bike. You will be able to stop your bike, your brake system is just working harder to do so. I changed my bike from 2 to 1 when I got chrome rims and I have no problems stopping. There is a difference in the 2 setups, obviously, but not enough for me to be concerned.

Just my .02

1. For looks, as everyone has already mentioned. Especially when dealing with chrome rims. If you are going to pay an arm and a leg for nice shiny rims, removing the rotor/caliper gives you more visibility and for maintenance purposes, easy access to clean the rim often in order to avoid pitting.

2. Some drag junkies, not to be confused with track junkies, will remove it for the purpose of weight reduction. When you're trying to make a number on the 1/4 mile every ounce counts.

The "not being able to stop" theory is a bit of an exageration, mainly by people that have not done this to their bike. You will be able to stop your bike, your brake system is just working harder to do so. I changed my bike from 2 to 1 when I got chrome rims and I have no problems stopping. There is a difference in the 2 setups, obviously, but not enough for me to be concerned.

Just my .02

I agree with orosado79 here, yes mainly it is for looks so you can see the front wheel better or drag racing to shave weight. but I have a R1 stretched w/300 and chromed to the hilt and believe me when I say she is a heavy biotch:laugh: and she only has the 1 caliper set-up and I have no doubt if the front tire can hold it she will put it on it's nose. Not that I'll try it, now maybe if your riding hard for any length of time and brakes heating up could be an issue then that could run into a problem with just one I would assume.

Still always better and safer with it being the way it came with 2.

Just my .02

i agree, up until you said "not enough to be concerned." i think you would agree that if you get that baby into triple digit speeds, that other brake caliper would be missed, allot. There's a reason its there, and its not for looks, its to haul that baby down from speed quickly. Without it, yes you will stop, BUT it will take a lot longer.

BUT, BUT, BUT for just cruzin around looking sexy like i do most of the time, i agree, if you went with one well that's fine.

However, if i took a caliper off my track bike, id be dead or severely injured.

i agree, up until you said "not enough to be concerned." i think you would agree that if you get that baby into triple digit speeds, that other brake caliper would be missed, allot. There's a reason its there, and its not for looks, its to haul that baby down from speed quickly. Without it, yes you will stop, BUT it will take a lot longer.

BUT, BUT, BUT for just cruzin around looking sexy like i do most of the time, i agree, if you went with one well that's fine.

However, if i took a caliper off my track bike, id be dead or severely injured.

I can't argue that, it will absolutely take you a few more feet to come to a complete stop than it would have if you were running dual brakes. I'm just making a point that unless you are running at extreme speeds, in which case you should be in a track instead of risking your life in traffic, your normal weekend runners in local twisties will be just fine with one caliper/rotor.

For me, I leave what I consider critical parts on the bike. But I have stock rims, front SS brake lines, not a drag racer, or a track junkie. I'm just a regular commuter who appreciates the stopping strength of the stock setup. I think if I spent the $$$ for chrome wheels, why not get chrome calipers too?

Ran one rotor and caliper on my GSXR dragbike back in the day and I had no problem locking the front wheel up at 120 in the 1/8
Speaking of experience one brake rotor and caliper will stop the bike quickly but I think heat would be an issue for road racers.

I agree. I don't think it's a power issue. More of a heat/fade issue. Overworking one rotor for any period of time is going to generate the single biggest issue with brake performance... excessive heat.

Back