Why do car drivers feel its okay to pull out in front of a motorcycle but wouldn't do it to a car?

umairhashmi

Registered
When im driving my loud z06 Corvette I have noticed drivers are much less likely to pull out in front of me? Maybe its because of the aftermarket exhaust and the X pipe or the bright red car or simply the car is a bigger threat to them than a small motorcycle? I always used to chuckle at the harley guys when they said "Loud pipes, Save lives" but now im starting to wonder if maybe its true? Did any of you also notice this or im wondering if its only in my head?

I used to believe it was because a cycle is small and appears to be further away and also a single light has a phenomenon that makes it hard to judge distance. But. My DD is a 2018 F350 dualy sitting at just over 9k and big as hell and I still get cut off...a lot! Just gota wonder.
Maybe it really is from all the damn texting nowadays?!
Carefull out there brothers.
Troy

I used to believe it was because a cycle is small and appears to be further away and also a single light has a phenomenon that makes it hard to judge distance. But. My DD is a 2018 F350 dualy sitting at just over 9k and big as hell and I still get cut off...a lot! Just gota wonder.
Maybe it really is from all the damn texting nowadays?!
Carefull out there brothers.
Troy
Here in NZ mobile phone use while driving is BANNED, with heavy fines if caught !
I still see it going on . . . And I know how distracting and dangerous it is first hand, I’ve tried to check text messages while driving and almost always drift off the line I’m keeping, found myself crossing the centre line. So I stopped doing it.
Here we get points on our license when caught, it’s taken very seriously coz there’s a percentage of road deaths attributable to it.

Here in NZ mobile phone use while driving is BANNED, with heavy fines if caught !
I still see it going on . . . And I know how distracting and dangerous it is first hand, I’ve tried to check text messages while driving and almost always drift off the line I’m keeping, found myself crossing the centre line. So I stopped doing it.
Here we get points on our license when caught, it’s taken very seriously coz there’s a percentage of road deaths attributable to it.
They say texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving, because the drunk at least has his eyes on the road. They made it illegal in Florida, but still see plenty of people doing it.

They say texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving, because the drunk at least has his eyes on the road. They made it illegal in Florida, but still see plenty of people doing it.
Using any handheld device in Georgia while driving is illegal. Then again so are meth and cocaine but people still use them. There will always be idiots out there that drive distracted. Ride invisible!

Using any handheld device in Georgia while driving is illegal. Then again so are meth and cocaine but people still use them. There will always be idiots out there that drive distracted. Ride invisible!
Same here, "distracted driving" they call it, it ranges from everything from cell phones to eating while driving..

When im driving my loud z06 Corvette I have noticed drivers are much less likely to pull out in front of me? Maybe its because of the aftermarket exhaust and the X pipe or the bright red car or simply the car is a bigger threat to them than a small motorcycle? I always used to chuckle at the harley guys when they said "Loud pipes, Save lives" but now im starting to wonder if maybe its true? Did any of you also notice this or im wondering if its only in my head?

I think you are correct, people don't see a bike as a threat as much as another vehicle..

That being said, I have vehicles pull out in front of my Ram several times...they didn't do that with my F-150 but I had a big 'ol grumpy push bar on that truck which may have deterred them somewhat.

I always expect the unexpected and never assume having a green light in an intersection means I have the right of way...lots of vehicles run the red.

Part of it is that drivers that are looking for traffic are looking for a car or car like object. Bicycles, motorcycles, and pedestrians don't tend to register to a driver unless they conscientiously are thinking about it. The other is that some people are very poor judges of depth and speed. Maybe they see you but think you are farther away or slower than you are. At any rate, riding as if you're invisible is a good idea. The Proficient Motorcycling books are great for accident avoidance tactics.

I think it's something few realize. When turning into a street you check right then left but before you proceed check left again. that last look left is the key part because as you look to the right the people on the left are still coming.

bikes are hard to see, plain and simple. Roads are designed are certain speeds. exceed the limit by 10 mph and you will appear out of nowhere to a car waiting in a turn.

still the cell is the biggest problem.

I use my horn a lot, especially when filtering. If that car is not where it should be positioned to let me pass I'll honk the hell out of him. The horn is understated and underused in motorcycle riding. On crossings always look the driver in the eye, and stay locked on him. Theres a primitive instinct that kicks in, the mind knows when another set of eyeballs is looking at the eyes directly. Just a few tips that keep me alive. Ride safe

Drop a gear to bring the RPM up to be heard that's what my good friend always said to me.

Its scary out there, but it's also a joy to be on 2 wheels.

Drop a gear to bring the RPM up to be heard that's what my good friend always said to me.

Its scary out there, but it's also a joy to be on 2 wheels.

Car drivers don't hear bikes or anything around them, their stereos are cranked or their on the phone or have the windows up with the air going...

I know when I'm in my truck, it is hard to hear anything outside, I have followed bikes with loud pipes and couldn't hear them with the windows up.

The fear factor of the cage driver is just that, they are in a cage and feel safe especially from an object one tenth the size of their car. It's also another reason that a shrimp:confused: of a person is so brave with road rage, they feel protected in a cage. That same person face to face wouldn't dare do a road range thing!! That is a fact. I read that somewhere in a psychology article. Now these giant guys, not so, they're scary regardless,:shocked: LOL

The fear factor of the cage driver is just that, they are in a cage and feel safe especially from an object one tenth the size of their car. It's also another reason that a shrimp:confused: of a person is so brave with road rage, they feel protected in a cage. That same person face to face wouldn't dare do a road range thing!! That is a fact. I read that somewhere in a psychology article. Now these giant guys, not so, they're scary regardless,:shocked: LOL

I agree...just the same as "keyboard tough guys"

I love it when some jack arse in an underpowered POS decides he needs to pass everyone on the road and when it's your turn to be passed, he feels it necessary to cut in front of you and get angry when you give him the horn. Because he looks and feels like an idiot, the first opportunity he gets he drives like a complete madman to get away because he is embarrassed.

200.gif

Back